What's new

Tribute To Cricket Legend : Shoaib Akhtar

Secret Service

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Shoaib Akhtar , as we all know,has announced his retirement from International Cricket.As World Cup is over for Pakistan.So I would like to Pay a Tribute to him by Opening A Thread on it .

shoaib_akhtar_hairstyle_pictures+1.jpg

Sports+Pictures+Week+November+21+7Vo3kbV1Az4l.jpg

A raging machine, show stopper and a match winner, Shoaib Akhtar of Pakistan cricket team has stunned the world of cricket with his pace for over a decade now. Better known as the ‘Rawalpindi Express’, the veteran speedster is questionably the fastest bowler ever to have played the game and his Yorkers are a night mare for even the best batsmen in the business.

Born in Rawalpindi, Pakistan in 1975 the well built right arm fast bowler made his ODI debut against Zimbabwe in 1998. Since then he has represented his country in a 157 matches and has had 242 victims in total, most of which have been either LBWs or bowled. He bagged all these scalps at a good average of 24.50 and has the best bowling figures of 6/16. Shoaib Akhtar’s career has always been the center of controversy starting right from his bowling action being questioned to the doping scandals, he has often been the reason of attention for wrong rather than right reasons. Fingers have been pointed towards his fitness levels and for this reason he has been left out of the Pakistan side on a number of occasions, but he has always come back strong against the expectations of his critics and bowled with great speed and accuracy.

Shoaib had an excellent Cricket World Cup in 1999 in which he played a vital role for his team in reaching the finals of the tournament. However, the next edition in 2003 was a dismal outing for the speedster. He was left out of the 2007 Cricket World Cup due to a controversy with team mates.

He also played for Kolkata Knight Riders in Indian Premier league 2008. where he took 4 wickets for 11 runs from three overs , in a famous victory against Delhi DareDevils .

In 2011 Cricket World Cup he played in his last match against New Zealand.he bowled a stunning 159.8 kmh delivery in his last match.He didn't played in Semi final against India which Pakistan lose by 29 runs.

Cricket will surely miss him and would hardly be able to find such a flamboyant character both on and off the field.

Salute for the services he rendered to Pakistan and World Cricket !

Shoaib+Akhtar+2011+ICC+World+Cup+Pakistan+Ud8prfdTT_El.jpg

Famous Quotes :

A collection of quotes from Shoaib Akhtar and by others about him over his colourful career

"How many diamonds can you retrieve from one single mine; there has to be an end somewhere. I don't see any natural fast bowler after me."
Shoaib Akhtar, the last of Pakistan's gems, foretells a grim future (June 14, 2008)

"I think I will donate the money to Mother Teresa or something like that."
Shoaib's latest 'Shoaibism' when asked about his IPL earnings. (May 30, 2008)

"Once Shoaib sees the crowds, and of course the babes around, I think he will be able to perform."
Wasim Akram has a dig at Shoaib (May 7, 2008)

"The Shoaib Akhtar [of our team] is Asmavia Iqbal ... The only difference between him and her is that she's completely fit, sticks to her game and does the job she's asked to do."
Urooj Mumtaz, the Pakistan women's captain, gets candid (April 24, 2008)

"I don't know - for us or for Pakistan?"
Graeme Smith wittily replies when asked if the absence of Shoaib would be an advantage during South Africa's tour of Pakistan (September 29, 2007)

"This would be a first for Shoaib, who is widely regarded as a more committed playboy than cricketer."
Journalist Malcolm Conn reacts to a quote from Shoaib that he had been keeping himself in shape during his lay-off (May 11, 2007)

"He said I looked like Tarzan, and wondered how I could bowl fast looking like that."
Shoaib reveals how Andrew Flintoff inadvertently boosted his will to win (December 14, 2005)

"Shoaib, leave the chicken man alone, and start your practice."
Pakistan coach Bob Woolmer to Shoaib as he chatted to Kevin Pietersen (November 27, 2005)

"I didn't see him in Australia because he didn't turn up for the first three days of the Test."
Steve Harmison on Shoaib's laissez-faire attitude to the Super Test (November 11, 2005)

"This is not a joke, so just shut up."
John Wright cracks the whip as Shoaib interrupts him during a Super Series team meeting (October 20, 2005)

"A bloke's bowling at 150kph trying to rip the fingers off your arms or probably even worse. It gets your blood going and the adrenalin pumping. You are in a fight. And to me that's what Test cricket is all about."
Justin Langer on the joys of facing Shoaib (January 1, 2005)

It is quite surprising that one is unfit in Pakistan and by reaching England gets fit overnight."
Shaharyar Khan, the PCB chairman, is piqued at Shoaib playing for Durham immediately after landing in England (May 12, 2004)

"I am not an angel, I have my bad days and good days. I am still learning day by day."
Shoaib makes a candid confession after Pakistan's victory in the Lahore Test (April 10, 2004)

"We will try and pull the chain and stop the train midway."
Sourav Ganguly, when asked how his team plan to counter Shoaib, the "Rawalpindi Express" (March 4, 2004)

" shoaib akhtar goes to kill me " in the match againstWest Indies.
Brain Lara in a press conference in 2005.

Shahid Afridi:

"We feel sad for Akhtar as he has been a very nice team-mate and we'll always remember him as someone who always tried hard for the team and every player thanks him," said skipper Shahid Afridi.

Team-mates embraced Akhtar at R. Premadasa stadium where Pakistan played with Australia in final group game .

"Akhtar told us about his decision and we respect that, so everyone wished him the best of luck in his future. I enjoyed playing with him," said Afridi.

Coach Waqar Younis praised Akhtar's decision.

"I played with him and then coached him. He has been a great bowler for the country and served the team well. It is a nice way to leave the place for youngsters and that's something we must appreciate," he said.

Former captain Ramiz Raja said he would like to remember Akhtar as a fighter.

"I would like to remember him as a tearaway bowler who with his strike-rate was a match winner on his day. He battled through injuries and controversies with a lot of heart throughout his career," said Ramiz.

Records :
- He bowled a record 100.2 Mph delivery against England in 2003 cricket World Cup.
- Also bowled a Fastest over in the history of Cricket .

Famous Kills :

- Ricky Ponting
- Gerry kristen
- Justin Langer
- Sourav ganguly
- Brain Lara
- Adam Gilchrist
- Sachin Tendulkar

Shoaib Akhtar's best Performances :

- 4 for 71 v India, Asian Test Championship, Kolkata, 1999

- 3 for 55 v New Zealand, World Cup semi-final, Manchester, 1999

- 6 for 11 v New Zealand, 1st Test, Lahore, 2002

- 5 for 21 v Australia, 1st Test, Colombo, 2002

- 5 for 25 v Australia, 3rd ODI, Brisbane, 2002

- 6 for 30 v New Zealand, 2nd Test, Wellington, 200

Last edited by a moderator:
Salute to Shoaib Aktar , we will miss the Rawalpindi expresss !!!

Shoaib-Akhtar-001.jpg

A simple fella who enjoyed his cricket but loved his life - but sadly old tycoons did not understand his youth , now that he is finally retiring I want to thank the only Pakistani player that dared to stare into Great Australian sides and challenge them 1 vs 1 , I always thought he would make one of the most attack minded Pakistani Captains in the team but sadly he never got his chance as Captain

We hope to see you do well in you future career Shoaib !!!

FOR me indeed he is a legend , all the wickets he took against India are still fresh.... the power and the passion he played and bowled was fabulous ....

we all will miss him for his great effort and good cricket , he has given to all of us....in all these years ....

unfortunate ending of Shoaib, he made a terrible mistake to argue with kamran. this team is kamran's team. he has the right to kick anyone out from this team as he has underworld and LEJ connections.
Nobody can mess with Kamran even Zardari...

a legand, if not a cricketing legand, then a pakistani cricket legand, his WC 1999 was a dreamy one, so fast and furious so devastating, but soon getting the hang of his career, he started messing around with it... and then 2003, 2007 and 2011 were equally sadistic...

Shoaib Akhtar was a great talent Pakistan had but unfortunately nobody handled him properly else he would have achieved new heights/milestones for Pakistani Cricket. Sad end for him. I wish him all the best for his future endeavors.

Back
Top Bottom