What's new

Trials begin of upgraded Indian main battle tank

I am waiting for the pics....I heard somewhere that Arjun mk2 will be placed with Singapore Leopard during summer, i am not sure whether its true or not but if its true, then it will be good for evaluation of mk2.

Arjun_Mk-2.jpg

Arjun MK II --- the beast looks beautiful.

Thats not Arjun mk2...its a Japanese tank...the pic of mk2 is not released.

Link to the pic of the prototype
http://www./pictures/arjun-india/p3592-prototype-of-arjun-mk2.html

Some key features of the MK2 include:
-FMBT's engine will be two-thirds the size of Arjun Mark I MBT's engine and will generate 1,500-horsepower. First prototype of the indigenous engine would be ready by 2016. FMBT will weigh 50 tonnes.

-Project to develop the transmission for the tank is being launched. Engine and transmission ( aka "Bharat Power Pack") will meet the FMBT's mobility requirements. So transmission is made locally.

-Volume occupied by the electronics package will be low.

-A total of 93 upgrades, including the advanced air defence gun system for firing at attack helicopters. Missiles firing capability to destroy long-range targets and bring down attack helicopters.

-Panoramic sight with night vision for the tank's commander. An automatic target tracking system to add accuracy when firing on a moving target.

-Explosive reactive armor panel which will comprise explosives in metallic brick form. These bricks will be mounted all round the MBT. When the enemy ammunition hits these bricks, they will explode and retard the energy of the projectile. Tanks armor will not be penetrated.

-Improvements in material, fuel injection and filtration technologies will contribute to the reduction in the engine size without compromising on power.

Source: DRDO Reveals Specifications of Arjun Mark-II, Future Main Battle Tank (FMBT) | India Defence

The tank will use some foreign components from Israel and France. Mostly electronics.
Weapon and Technology: Israeli laser-based defensive suite on the Arjun Tank

Some dude said that the MK2 might look like this:
xk-2_fmbt.jpg

I am Proud that , we have such a talented Neighbor Mk 2 ...came up so fast....

GOooooD going India....

66 tonne beast .... its too heavy..... what is so heavy inside it??.. if enemy tank comes any where miles away from it... we can say RIP....

By the way, does Arjun have the capability to fire depleted uranium rounds? Or tungsten rounds? The Pakistanis and Chinese apparently use DU rounds. The tank itself is important, but so is the quality of the rounds it fires.

Can anyone clarify this?

66 tonne beast .... its too heavy..... what is so heavy inside it?.. if enemy tank comes any where miles away from it... we can say RIP....

Armor(?) A fully loaded M1A2 Abrams weighs almost 70 tonnes.

By the way, does Arjun have the capability to fire depleted uranium rounds? Or tungsten rounds? The Pakistanis and Chinese apparently use DU rounds. The tank itself is important, but so is the quality of the rounds it fires.

Can anyone clarify this?

Getting some exact info about this is next to impossible as almost all the countries except US and UK are yet to officially acknowledge their use of DU rounds.

However, according to most sources India does have DU ammunition and it does posses all the components of the production, storage and disposal chain for the same.

AFA the arjun is concerned, it is definitely capable of firing a DU round, in fact even the CIA (upgraded Indian T 72) can do it!

most promising part of this news is Mark-II tank would
feature an indigenous
engine that would replace
the German engines of
the 58-tonne Arjun Mark-
I.

this is the best news

Back
Top Bottom