What's new

Top 10 Western Rulers in History

Understand the thread referred to top ten “WESTERN” rulers. In my book this means West of Urals-Bosporus line. How Asoka & Hazrat Omer (RA) qualify as these belong to the Eastern half?

However any such list will be highly subjective. I would count these as:

1. Alexander the Great.
2. Augustus Caesar
3. Emperor Constantine
4. Charlemagne
5. Caliph Abdur Rahman Al Nasir of Omayyad Spain.
6. Frederick the Great of Prussia
7. Catherine the Great of Russia.
8. Elizabeth 1 of England
9. Louis XIV of France.
10. George Washington.

Caesar augustus IS octavian.He was given the title augustus.Not julius caesar.
As for alexander he is quite like genghis-purely military and legacy.But no administrative or public welfare feats but yeah a worthy mention.

:ashamed: Uf, my bad...I read your list last night and got hung up on "Caesar"

I would actually put ol' Genghis on any list regarding Eastern/World rulers.He and Alexander had more impact on the world that many others already mentioned
Maybe this should be split in to "top leaders" and "top administrators" :)

Hey where is George Bush's lackey Tony Blair? I am sure he made a impact on the world too.

Understand the thread referred to top ten “WESTERN” rulers. In my book this means West of Urals-Bosporus line. How Asoka & Hazrat Omer (RA) qualify as these belong to the Eastern half?

However any such list will be highly subjective. I would count these as:

1. Alexander the Great.
2. Augustus Caesar
3. Emperor Constantine
4. Charlemagne
5. Caliph Abdur Rahman Al Nasir of Omayyad Spain.
6. Frederick the Great of Prussia
7. Catherine the Great of Russia.
8. Elizabeth 1 of England
9. Louis XIV of France.
10. George Washington.
On what bases are ranking them ???? :lol:

These are my current top 15 favorite rulers in no particular order. Please note that my list isn't restricted to the Western World, & is subject to change.

- Constantine the Great
- Alexander the Great
- Ashoka the Great
- Shah Jehan
- Suleiman the Magnificent
- Augustus Caesar
- Queen Dido (Elissa)
- Catherine the Great
- Cyrus the Great
- Darius the Great
- Queen Elizabeth I
- Saladin
- King Solomon of ancient Israel
- Caliph Umar ibn Al-Khattab
- King Nebuchadnezzar II of Babylon

Odysseus was real ? :what:

Then my vote goes to Count Dracula

Then my vote goes to Count Dracula

Count Dracula isn't real but Vlad the Impaler definitely was. :lol:

Vlad the Impaler

Vlad III, Prince of Wallachia (1431–1476), was a member of the House of Drăculești, a branch of the House of Basarab, also known by his patronymic name: Dracula. He was posthumously dubbed Vlad the Impaler (Romanian: Vlad Țepeș pronounced [ˈvlad ˈt͡sepeʃ]), and was a three-time Voivode of Wallachia, ruling mainly from 1456 to 1462, the period of the incipient Ottoman conquest of the Balkans. His father, Vlad II Dracul, was a member of the Order of the Dragon, which was founded to protect Christianity in Eastern Europe. Vlad III is revered as a folk hero in Romania for his protection of the Romanian population both south and north of the Danube. A significant number of Romanian and Bulgarian common folk and remaining boyars (nobles) moved north of the Danube to Wallachia, recognized his leadership and settled there following his raids on the Ottomans.

As the cognomen 'The Impaler' suggests, his practice of impaling his enemies is central to his historical reputation. During his lifetime, his reputation for excessive cruelty spread abroad, to Germany and elsewhere in Europe. The total number of his victims is estimated in the tens of thousands. The name of the vampire Count Dracula in Bram Stoker's 1897 novel Dracula was inspired by Vlad's patronymic.

He was defeated by his brother Radu cel Frumos who converted to Islam & led the Ottoman Empire against him.

Policy of religieus tolerance, multiculturalism and foreigners in official positions, was already implemented by Cyrus the Great 700 years before Ashoka.

Cyrus ruled only 226 year before Ashoka.

Count Dracula isn't real but Vlad the Impaler definitely was. :lol:

Vlad the Impaler

He was defeated by his brother Radu cel Frumos who converted to Islam & led the Ottoman Empire against him.

No quite, he was assassinated 2 years after the death of Radu, when he was about to begin his third reign.
Little known fact is that he was attacked by Mehmed the Conqueror in 1462, and managed to defeat him - although that and the continued attacks took a heavy price, costing him his second reign and 7 years of imprisonment, in the end..

Edit: The Dracula & vampire myth is more based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Báthory , countess Elizabeth Bathory than the actual historical figure of Vlad

No quite, he was assassinated 2 years after the death of Radu, when he was about to begin his third reign.
Little known fact is that he was attacked by Mehmed the Conqueror in 1462, and managed to defeat him - although that and the continued attacks took a heavy price, costing him his second reign and 7 years of imprisonment, in the end..

Ah, I should have clarified myself. I was referring to Vlad the Impaler's military defeat by his brother, not to his death. The Wikipedia page I mentioned discussed his assassination & imprisonment as well.

Edit: The Dracula & vampire myth is more based on Elizabeth Báthory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , countess Elizabeth Bathory than the actual historical figure of Vlad

The only reason I know about Vlad the Impaler is because I saw a documentary about him on television referring to him & the legend of Dracula. Anyway, after further reading, it seems that they both share credit for that legend.

To be honest, both Vlad the Impaler & Elizabeth Bathory look & sound like fuking psychos to me. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom