What's new

Top 10 Greatest Firearms in History

d838dbae96a6ffd5d0ebdae6404a8c57.jpg

"I was suprised there was no M-16."

There is now. M-16A2 w/ rail accessory.

Here's what I grew up on. M-16A1-

09e612ddb6899d4475bffb3865a562e6.jpg

Great weapon. Accurate as hell and a great rate of fire. I've spent a lot of time in the desert with it and didn't have any problems. OTOH, I HAVEN'T spent time downrange in Iraq or A-stan pulling triggers where it meant life or death.

The "moondust" of Helmand must be hell on weapons, IMV. The P.A. probably has it right with AKs and G-3s.

Thanks.:usflag:

Last edited:
S-2 which branch did you serve with if you don't mind me asking?

Many guns missing. STG44 is one of them. Tommy gun, Russian PPSH. and as S2 (Member) mentioned M1 Grand (MY favorite on COD). Springfield sniper. Silenced Sten (Perhaps the only silenced gun in WW2)

I was a U.S. Army artillery officer.

mjnaushad,

The Springfield .03 was a superb weapon also. I've fired it and loved it's accuracy and punch-

My list would be;
Colt 1911
Gatling
Maxim
Garand
AR-15
AK-47
Colt Single Action Army
Kentucky rifle
Henry Rifle
Springfield 1903

Famous guns in history. .

Last edited by a moderator:
Best friend here is a W.W.I artillery regiment luger collector. Pretty specialized tastes but he's found a few with pre-W.W.1 markings for Bavarian arty regiments.

It's an interesting hobby. Bit expensive on the entry costs but usually pays for itself.

Me? I prefer flyfishing. Never owned a private firearm in my life. Army gave me all the opportunities to shoot I'll ever need and these were always a LOT more fun-

8d4d143c64ffaed36e8b18d8b2fa54c2.jpg

Hon S-2,
I was working in the US in 1970/1971. Had lots of Vietnam veterans as my colleagues. Most of them were full of praise for the M-14 but did not think much of M-16. Have you fired both the rifles? If so what is your view?

While I am not a gun owner, I still find it interesting that guns remain today the most common weapon used by military and civilians alike. During their long history, no one has come up with a suitable and as-popular alternative (such as a ray gun). This list looks at ten of the greatest firearms in history – and in the bonus section poses a question.

MG-42

“Hitler’s Buzzsaw,” invented in 1942, is infamous around the world as the weapon used at Omaha Beach to mow Americans down, but it was used in Russia to much more brutal effect. It fired 1,200 rounds of 8mm rifle ammunition per minute, which is sufficient to cut a man in half. It was air-cooled, and could melt its barrel if fired non-stop for 5 minutes.

That’s why the Germans had several barrel at hand, and could change to a new one in only 60 seconds.

wow, Waffen SS with Hitler’s Buzzsaw, Nice Picture, look in his eyes

PA is still using this MG?

"Most of them were full of praise for the M-14 but did not think much of M-16. Have you fired both the rifles? If so what is your view?"

Sir,

First, my view is tempered by time. The weapon I used upon entry in 1979 wasn't the same weapon that had acquired such a miserable reputation that had become urban myth at some point. Today, I hear and read similar complaints about the M-4.

There were issues related, as I understand, as much with the ammunition used in Vietnam as the weapon itself however this came to light only after the horror stories had made the rounds. Again, my personal experience with the M16A1 was a good one. Extremely accurate in the semi-auto mode and I found it easy to maintain in the field. As artillerymen, we didn't range or field fire as often as infantry however.

SIDE NOTE- Best marksmanship teams at Ft. Sill were artillery units. This included competition firing with the M-60 MMG!

OTOH, I have fired the M-14 and it's in many respects a glorified M-1 Garand...and I mean that in a GOOD way. Incredibly accurate and obviously possessing immense punch.

While claiming no small arms expertise, I used to modestly contend that mechanized infantry units should have used the M-14 as toting weapon and ammo wasn't the same issue as faced by a light infantryman. If you see some of the weight these guys in the west tote these days you'd know that every OUNCE matters at this point.

Secondly, in the battles we anticipated in Europe I speculated that we'd see Soviet motor-rifle infantry dismount from BTR/BMPs at 700meters or so from their objectives (us!). Why not begin engaging with all weapons as soon as within effective range? While we likely wouldn't/didn't range qualify with the M-14 out to 700 meters, there's no reason not to begin putting rounds downrange if ammo isn't a problem but suppressing a dismounted advance might be an issue.

I believe that for some time it was issued as a sniper weapon. I can check but that speaks to its accuracy. I'd suspect that its accuracy exceeds the G-3 and the FN/FAL but couldn't attest as I've never fired either of those. Reliability? Good from what little I know although I don't believe it is at par with the G-3 but that's only based upon what I've heard about the G-3-a weapon that can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

In the end, it is a rifle and not an assault rifle. That bears mentioning and is a separating consideration. It SHOULD shoot better. I am, btw, utterly sold on the last evoluton of the M-16 that I shot which was the A2. Better than the A1 by virtue of the barrel, 3 round burst select, and sites.

My modest assessment which I would NOT take to the bank, sir.

Back
Top Bottom