What's new

To thwart Sino-Pak N-deal, India lobbies for NSG help

With dwindling fossil fuel supplies more and more countries will be looking at nuclear power generation. The deal between China and Pakistan is strictly for peaceful use and will be subject to IAEA supervision. It is difficult to see where the problem is. Correct me if am wrong, but I strongly suspect that Indian opposition has more to do with its own ego than anything else, i.e. India deserves to be treated in a different league than Pakistan. What do you think of my observation?

Incredible, yet another article in which none of the contentions asserted as fact are backed up -- "Sources said" -- which scources?? Why aren't these in the lead article? What evidence is offered for the claims made.

Last edited:
Point is abvious india want to be a Super Power in this area....that's why they don't want to grow any nation other than themselves.
Just see their defence budget........its like crazy.....
Now any one of my indian friends will say now as usual this is our internal matter for defence budget......
So my brother this is also our internal matter for our power / electricity needs........you don't need to be worry about that.....just sleep tight and remain calm...

China can calm the indian by promising to send subsidized tissues! :D

Point is abvious india want to be a Super Power in this area....that's why they don't want to grow any nation other than themselves.
Give me a good enough reason for India not to oppose this deal??? Being an adversary what else you expect from us???

Just see their defence budget........its like crazy.....
Yup crazy for those who want to ignore the defence budget of our potential adversary in the east...for us it is too little and needs to be bumped up further...

Now any one of my indian friends will say now as usual this is our internal matter for defence budget......
And explain how is this incorrect??? Our defence budget is our internal matter however it has implications on you...the more we increase our defence budget the more you will have to and vice-versa...

So my brother this is also our internal matter for our power / electricity needs........you don't need to be worry about that.....just sleep tight and remain calm...

Incorrect....The pace at which Pak is increasing her nuclear arsenal such reactors are a cuase of concern...so we are doing what we deemed fit for our security and you should do what you deem fit...no???

correct me if i'm wrong. din't pakistan write letters to all IAEA members asking them not to approve india's request for the clearance? so why cry foul when it's india's turn to mix it up a bit?? i think it's only fair.

Last edited:
Incorrect....The pace at which Pak is increasing her nuclear arsenal such reactors are a cuase of concern...so we are doing what we deemed fit for our security and you should do what you deem fit...no???
This has been addressed time and again - the reactors being constructed are Light Water Reactors and will not produce spent Plutonium that can be reprocessed into nuclear weapons fuel.

Heavy Water reactors, such as the ones Pakistan has already constructed to expand the Khushab nuclear complex, are going to be the source for Weapons grade plutonium for Pakistani nuclear weapons.

correct me if i'm wrong. din't pakistan write letters to all IAEA members asking them not to approve india's request for the clearance? so why cry foul when it's india's turn to mix it up a bit?? i think it's only fair.

That is an incorrect reading of Pakistan's objections - Pakistan's objections were in the context of the arbitrary nature of the Indian clearance. Pakistan wanted a standard international protocol and rules governing such exemptions for all nations, rather than the arbitrary and discriminatory process that was applied to grant India the exemption.

And of course readers will recall the role of the US in pushing through these arbitrary and discriminatory process and rules. India was THE beneficiary, but it was US that created, enabled and pushed this through for it's strategic ally in the region.

All this effort for domestic political appeasement,that we are hard on Pakistan.:coffee:

No matter what Sino-Pak N-deal will go ahead

That is an incorrect reading of Pakistan's objections - Pakistan's objections were in the context of the arbitrary nature of the Indian clearance. Pakistan wanted a standard international protocol and rules governing such exemptions for all nations, rather than the arbitrary and discriminatory process that was applied to grant India the exemption.

agered.. if you say so i'l go with that. end of the day we will keep opposing each others new aquisitons no matter what, under the umbrella of so called 'arms race' wether it's pak getting latest f16s or india's phalcon radars & nuclear sub marine, to name a few. but in this case you have to go with india's concerns and for that matter, of rest of the world. many of my friends here might not agree with me, but at the moment climate is not so right for pakistan to go ahead with this due to various ground realities such as political instability, internal security situation & not least, the record in proliferation. hey! you are free to disagree with me!!

China has even sidelined american concerns saying the reactors will be in full compliance of IAEA. Indian wet dreaming should stop now..mardana kamzoori ho jaye ge!

The deal will go through - Pakistan has a right to satisfy its energy needs. Either way, NSG's resolution on the deal is non-binding. So China and Pakistan can sign the deal irrespective. But the approval for India was based on a formal pledge by India stating that it would not share sensitive nuclear technology or material with others and will uphold its voluntary moratorium on testing nuclear weapons. The pledge was contained in a crucial statement issued during the NSG meeting by India outlining the country's disarmament and nonproliferation policies. Given Pakistan's fine track record - all India has to do is convince 2-3 countries to block the deal in the NSG - the problem would then be getting the supplies for Pakistan to fuel their nuclear reactors. And countries like Norway, Switzerland, Malta, New Zealand, Australia etc. will find it very difficult to overlook Pakistani track record of proliferation - their opponents at home would massacre them.

I still don't understand why Indians don't want us to have electricity. We already have nuclear weapons and if we wanted more, I don't think they would be Chinese versions which we already have.
It's simple they don't want anything good happening for Pakistan. I've always laughed at the suggestion that India wants a prosperous Pakistan.

India neither wants a prosperous, nor a failed Pakistan. India wants a boiling Pakistan.

Be it nuclear deals, defence deals, commerce involving rice, textiles, even cricket, and supporting terrorism in Pakistan through Afghanistan - India has opened many fronts against Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom