What's new

Thunders to be Fitted with Retractable IFR Probes [Unconfirmed]

i ve heard the same news black blood but not on internet.chances are 50/50
i think it would weigh more then the fixed IFR probe,because of its mechanism(hydraulic cylinder and leaver etc) and thunder with current engine cannot suffer more weight and it would be needed to re-design thunders structure to make a place for retractable IFR probe.
infect i haven't seen retractable IFR probe on any single engine aircraft except of HARRIER and British designed retractable IFR probe would be much better if needed to install on thunder cuz its fixed outside the airframe.
regards

Last edited:
j10-b is going to have a retractable refueling prob

f-18 has retractable refiling prob

look at 00:52 to 00:59

retractable refuling prob on f-35

block ii Will definitely have retractable refueling prob

:pakistan::china::pakistan::china:

Last edited by a moderator:
i ve heard the same news black blood but not on internet.chances are 50/50
i think it would weigh more then the fixed IFR probe,because of its mechanism(hydraulic cylinder and leaver etc) and thunder with current engine cannot suffer more weight and it would be needed to re-design thunders structure to make a place for retractable IFR probe.
infect i haven't seen retractable IFR probe on any single engine aircraft except of HARRIER and British designed retractable IFR probe would be much better if needed to install on thunder cuz its fixed outside the airframe.
regards

yes the increase in weight will be compensated by reduce in drag if prob is retracted.

but if its non retractable it will generate more drag

i think both will have benefits and drawbacks

:pakistan::china::pakistan::china:

an interesting air to air refueling

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard they will be fitted with conventional probe like the one fitted in Mirages and Gripens. The reason is the front fuselage of Thunder which seems rather less spacious even for an IRST, let alone RP. Just an observation though....

Hi, that is a good point. However, we do not know if space has been left in the nose for an IRST or a retractable IFR. I hope they have left some space. If you recall, the reason for the F-18 Super Hornet, was the plane had literally run out of space to put more equipment, and hence was made 25% larger than the original F-18A-D. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom