What's new

Third regiment of T-72 tanks to be moved to Ladakh soon

The 80mm figure is an approximate value, for example, both the t 72 and T 90's side turret is around 85 mm thick (but the turret is designed in such a way that the weaker sides are fully hidden behind the frontal armor, giving the turrets of T series their distinctive roundish shape).The same is also the case with the German Leopard Leopard 2, so i thought it won't be much different for your Type 99s/96s.
And as to how you determine whether there is composite armor or not on a particular place by looking at a photograph, you first have to learn how they work!!They work by inducing frequent compression and decompression to the penetrators (KE and CE alike) by running through layers of different materials with different sectional density, there by breaking them up over the period.
So in order to be effective, the composites are needed to be placed in thick layers, and for that, you gonna need space to insert them!!
Now just take a look at some photographs of you ZTZ 99, shall we?
So, here goes,
1. ZTZ 99 :
View attachment 319016

and
View attachment 319017

Now just take a look at the distance between the outer edge of the commanders cupola and the edge of the turret side!!There is simply not enough space in there to mount composite armor panels!!It's not really that difficult or complex tbh.
Here is ZTZ 96
View attachment 319028
View attachment 319030

And now compare this to something like Leopard 2A4 :
View attachment 319037
Now just take a look at the weld lines on the turret sides, that part shows us the placement of composite panels.
Here, let me mark them out for ya
View attachment 319039
Notice the portion in red box and compare this to the above image without markings.

Here is another one, an unfinished Leopard 2A4 turret :
View attachment 319041

The armor cavities can be easily seen.
Now compare this with your Type series of tanks, notice the difference yet??See how much greater the distance is between turret sides and edge of cupolas??
As I told you earlier, ain't really that much hard to find out if you have got the desire to do so.It's the age of internet after all.

Ah, I see. I had thought you were speaking of the sides being hit from the front. My apologies if we were confused.

I don't think the proximity of the cupola to the side of the turret paints comprehensive enough of a picture. The Type 96/99 series feature stowage boxes that add an extra layer of protection. How significant this protection is anyone's guess, but it can't be ruled out that these can be used to hold additional armor blocks.

Another interesting note is that the VT-4 export tank permanently fixes this issue by extending the armor blocks all the way behind the commander's cupola and reduces the size of the stowage boxes.

Although a longer barrel length does provide greater muzzle velocity, a lot of other confounding factors are at play when determining the energy and lethality of a tank cannon.

Absolutely and there is no denying the fact.For example, advantage of a longer barrel can be mitigated by employing a shorter but sturdier barrel, which can withstand higher chamber pressure, enabling it attain similar or even higher muzzle velocities but you have to understand that the 2A46M4 is a comparatively newer design and its build quality should be at least comparable to that of the guns onboard your 96.

And within the context of your scenario, in which the Chinese are the "aggressors" by sending tanks against India's forward-deployed T-72s, tank-to-tank warfare is essentially an impossibility at such terrains.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely and there is no denying the fact.For example, advantage of a longer barrel can be mitigated by employing a shorter but sturdier barrel, which can withstand higher chamber pressure, enabling it attain similar or even higher muzzle velocities but you have to understand that the 2A46M4 is a comparatively newer design and its build quality should be at least comparable to that of the guns onboard your 96.

And within the context of your scenario, in which the Chinese are the "aggressors" by sending tanks against India's forward-deployed T-72s, tank-to-tank warfare is essentially an impossibility at such terrains.
[/QUOTE]

Hence, unless we get data for both guns, it would be unsuitable to jump to conclusions. An interview from many years ago suggested that the 96A had a muzzle energy of approximately 11.75 MJ.

Hence, unless we get data for both guns, it would be unsuitable to jump to conclusions. An interview from many years ago suggested that the 96A had a muzzle energy of approximately 11.75 MJ.

Muzzle energy for which round??Here we are just comparing the guns - which means, if we take same variables like propellant mass, mass of projectile, built quality of the guns as same for both systems, then the one with longer barrel will attain higher muzzle velocity and hence will also have greater energy at muzzle.You see, i was just comparing the guns themselves and nothing else.Now built quality should be at least comparable and if we take same rounds for both guns, then the 2A46M2/4 will have higher muzzle velocity.
Of course, with newer more improved rounds, the tables can be turned for either one.

Last edited:
Muzzle energy for which round??Here we are just comparing the guns - which means, if we take same variables like propellant mass, mass of projectile, built quality of the guns as same for both systems, then the one with longer barrel will attain higher muzzle velocity and hence will also have greater energy at muzzle.You see, i was just comparing the guns themselves and nothing else.Now built quality should be at least comparable and if we take same rounds for both guns, then the 2A46M2/4 will have higher muzzle velocity.
Of course, with newer more improved rounds, the tables can be turned for either one.

Except that in any environment other than an ideal scenario, these aforementioned variables do not remain the same. It remains unknown what kind of materials these two guns are made from, among other important factors. Implying that gun X is more powerful than gun Y purely based on one parameter is erroneous from the get-go.

Except that in any environment other than an ideal scenario, these aforementioned variables do not remain the same. It remains unknown what kind of materials these two guns are made from, among other important factors. Implying that gun X is more powerful than gun Y purely based on one parameter is erroneous from the get-go.

All fair points but again you are making one elementary mistake of looking at the whole thing from the firepower perspective!!But that wasn't the subject of our discussion here!!Sure, the real life scenarios are never ideal and they never will be and the variations will take their effects on the eventual output of energy delivered but it won't change one fact - that between two guns of different length and same bore diameter and with similar built quality and materials, the longer one will always retain an advantage of higher muzzle energy over the shorter one for same type of ammunition used!!

For example, you might argue that the shorter gun might use a better round and thus turning the table on the former, yes it can.But it will change the firepower equilibrium and not that of the guns involved themselves!!The longer gun will still be a more powerful weapon.
And besides, one could use the same argument for the longer gun as well - what if the longer gun is issued with better rounds??What then??

Another point you have raised is built quality and materials used.Valid point and I'm not gonna deny that but i was kinda unwilling to dabble in this because it might be a bit ahh............ controversial.I mean sure, you could say that the metallurgy of the Chinese guns concerned here is radically different from that of the one used in the 2A46M2/4 tank guns although I doubt that would be the case since a high powered modern tank gun demands some very unique sets of requirements like a very high tensile strength and also resistance against barrel wear which sorta limit the options for materials that can be used and overall, the choice of material remains quite similar across the world - some Steel Titanium alloy although I am not aware of the exact composition.Now the materials used and their percentage in the matrix may vary a little bit from country to country but trust me, the difference won't be to the point where it would simply alter the entire characteristics of one particular model over the others.
Now, about the controversial part, and you may not like it - but even if we are to take this line of approach, that the composition of the gun barrels are totally different from one another, don't you think that in that case, the Russian one would most probably take the cake??I mean, they are at this business since before the WWII for crying out loud!!Heck, at one point they had even snatched the lead away from their NATO counterparts in their race to develop the most powerful tank gun!!
So logically, their guns are oughtta be better since they are much more experienced and experience does matter - A LOT!!But for pure argument's sake, I'm willing to accept both Chinese and Russian guns as equals in terms of built quality (guys like Damian or Vasily Fofanov would probably laugh their bloody @rses off if they do come across this post but hey, screw them for now :D ) Even then the Russian gun would come out on top for pure law of physics!!

At a final note, I just want to say that if you go back to my original post, I had said that I was willing to bet 2A46M2/4 would be somewhat better than the gun on board the ZTZ 96, with somewhat being the keyword here.What I really meant with this was that, even if the former holds some degree of advantage over the later, it would in no way be overwhelming or even that much significant to the point it would alter the outcome of a potential confrontation between them................and that, it was merely mentioned for comparison purposes.

I seem to have overlooked this one post of yours, sorry bout that.
It is quite apparent from your photos that the roof has been sheathed within an armored block itself. Whether that armored block is sloped or not doesn't mitigate the fact that the crew is no longer exposed frontally speaking.

The same principle applies to the MBT-2000, which has later been upgraded with ERA blocks.

Well, the roof is still exposed, here is a photograph of Type 96 where this sloped rooftop is clearly visible
Type - Copy.jpg

The blocks marked in red lines are the places where the composite armor modules have been bolted to.Where as the entire swath of the sloped region, marked in black out lines is nothing but the downward sloping turret roof, which is coming down to converge on the upper edge of the gun mantlet and that portion has no composite armor!!It's just the roof and that's the weak-spot @Jamwal's was talking about.It could become a big pain in the *** at the most critical of the times.
Following is the unmarked version for comparison
Type.jpg

More photographs
96 2.jpg

In this photograph, the weld lines are clearly visible, which enables us to assertion the exact placement layout of the armor modules, also visible is the downward slope of the turret roof.

Below lies the marked version

96 2 - Copy.jpg
Again, the armor blocks have been marked in red outline and the sloped roof with black.

Type 99
type_99_l9.jpg

Take note of the bulge on the turret roof and also around right below the commanders cupola, those portions would be partially exposed from the frontal arc.

Another type 96 without its add on modular armor panels :
type_96.jpg

Again, the downward sloping turret roof is clearly visible, which is anything but good news, sorry for that.

Type_96A_-_Tankbiathlon15finalp1-15.jpg

The space between line C (in red) and line B (in yellow) is fairly well armored but same is not the case with the place between Line B (yellow) and line A (in green), that portion consists of the rooftop made of thin RHA plates and cast steel (cupola base) and clearly vulnerable.
It is quite apparent from your photos that the roof has been sheathed within an armored block itself. Whether that armored block is sloped or not doesn't mitigate the fact that the crew is no longer exposed frontally speaking.

The same principle applies to the MBT-2000, which has later been upgraded with ERA blocks.

As you can clearly see in all these pictures, the roof is not really sheathed within an armored block, even on the specimens with add on armor blocks.No ERA tiles have been placed over that spot either, not in any of these specimens at least.
And even if the roof does eventually get fitted with ERA panels,it still won't be a permanent solution; and may not even be a practical one unless you have something in the line of the Ukrainian Knife/Duplet ERA, with in built linear shaped charges instead of using normal explosive patches as is normally used in ERA tiles world over.

As to why I think such a configuration wouldn't have the desired effect, well, there are multiple reasons behind that.
For starters, most modern anti tank weapons come with tandem warheads,which means if the ERA tiles are set of by the precursor charge, there would be nothing behind the tiles to stop or at least reduce the effectiveness of the main charge, since a thin layer of RHA and cast steel isn't really a defence against shaped charge jets.

Secondly, what if the portion gets struck by a kinetic energy round??What then??Even if it does set of the ERA tile which would result in the rod losing a part of its energy and mass, you would steel need some armor to catch the rest of it!!And I don't think a thin plate of RHA can do that.
It works much the same way as does bullet resistant glass and ESAPI inserts of the plate carriers!!The bullet proof glass is made of multiple alternating layers of some hard glass plates and some flexible materials like epoxy resin.The glass breaks the projectile and the resin layer catches the fragments.
ESAPI inserts work much the same way, where the outer hard layer of ceramic breaks the bullets upon impact and the underlying layer of Kevlar catches the fragments.
Now ERA- composite armor combo works much the same way as do= the armored glass and ESAPI inserts.Just compare the ERA tiles as the out hard surface that breaks or degrades the incoming projectiles and the think of the underlying composite layer as the Kevlar/resin which catches the fragments.Put both components together and you will achieve a very high level of defence but take out just one component and it will fall apart!!

Now coming to the most important part, and i can not and I repeat, I can not stress this fact hard enough, that this one design flaw doesn't turn the Type series of tanks into some utterly crappy design, not at all!!Anyone, drawing such a conclusion from my post would simply be deluding himself because that's not what I'm implying here and neither it's the truth.In reality,they are very potent tanks and can become extremely dangerous in the right hands and should always be treated with utmost caution.
And besides, gunners are always trained to aim for centre-mass and not for the sides or the top, so a partially exposed turret roof isn't really that big of a trouble if you look at it.But as we know, gunners do tend to miss and therefor, nothing should be left to chances.Just one unlucky hit at such a point might result in the crew being severely incapacitated or even killed altogether if the fragments manage to hit any exposed propellant bags or the hydraulic fluids.

Last edited:
A piss poor design especially turret geometry.

Lol @type xyz

Your t-72s can't even penetrate it's frontal armour let alone destroy it. No ammo, piss poor FCs and lack of thermal vision and even proper ammo. Sigh.

A generation ahead ehh??You do realise that these are the upgraded T 72s we are talking about here, with their original armor panels been replaced with newer ones, with fully digital FCS with laser range finder and auto tracking mode along with third generation thermal sights??Now do all these upgrades make them come at the same level as a newly built ZTZ 96, not at all!!Of course the 96s will always hold technical advantages over the 72s but claiming the former being 'a generation behind' the later would be overstretching the facts.

Have to agree, in fact, the T 90S would be ahead of most Chinese tanks owing largely to their better turret geometry and a somewhat more powerful main gun.

ZTZ 99s are not deployed in Tibetan Plateau only ZTZ 96s, so far at least.And in any case, i don't think the PLA would be dumb enough try to bring their tanks closer to that sector since we hold the high grounds there and they would be vulnerable to even smaller HEAT projectiles owing to their roof tops being exposed.

Oh...for the sake of the Xenomorphs, please stop this 'loose sand' non sense!!It's been proven beyond any doubt that Arjuns can actually handles loose sandy terrains better than the Ts.

None of these is upgraded, stop fooling yourself. Poor thing has IR sight mounting quite visible.

An off topic question when t14 armata tank is coming to Indian army

I seem to have overlooked this one post of yours, sorry bout that.

Well, the roof is still exposed, here is a photograph of Type 96 where this sloped rooftop is clearly visible
View attachment 319290

The blocks marked in red lines are the places where the composite armor modules have been bolted to.Where as the entire swath of the sloped region, marked in black out lines is nothing but the downward sloping turret roof, which is coming down to converge on the upper edge of the gun mantlet and that portion has no composite armor!!It's just the roof and that's the weak-spot @Jamwal's was talking about.It could become a big pain in the *** at the most critical of the times.
Following is the unmarked version for comparison
View attachment 319291
More photographs
View attachment 319295
In this photograph, the weld lines are clearly visible, which enables us to assertion the exact placement layout of the armor modules, also visible is the downward slope of the turret roof.

Below lies the marked version

View attachment 319302 Again, the armor blocks have been marked in red outline and the sloped roof with black.

Type 99
View attachment 319304

Take note of the bulge on the turret roof and also around right below the commanders cupola, those portions would be partially exposed from the frontal arc.

Another type 96 without its add on modular armor panels :
View attachment 319309

Again, the downward sloping turret roof is clearly visible, which is anything but good news, sorry for that.

View attachment 319310
The space between line C (in red) and line B (in yellow) is fairly well armored but same is not the case with the place between Line B (yellow) and line A (in green), that portion consists of the rooftop made of thin RHA plates and cast steel (cupola base) and clearly vulnerable.

A second look at the photographs show that this issue, although seemingly apparent from the photograph angle and the bulging base of the cupolas, is not a significant malformation. The armor modules extend all the back to the side and top of the grenade launchers, arching all the way to the side of the gun. Hence, the only truly exposed portion of the turret roof would be the segment directly posterior and superior to the gun, and anterior to the cupolas.

As you can clearly see in all these pictures, the roof is not really sheathed within an armored block, even on the specimens with add on armor blocks.No ERA tiles have been placed over that spot either, not in any of these specimens at least.
And even if the roof does eventually get fitted with ERA panels,it still won't be a permanent solution; and may not even be a practical one unless you have something in the line of the Ukrainian Knife/Duplet ERA, with in built linear shaped charges instead of using normal explosive patches as is normally used in ERA tiles world over.

As to why I think such a configuration wouldn't have the desired effect, well, there are multiple reasons behind that.
For starters, most modern anti tank weapons come with tandem warheads,which means if the ERA tiles are set of by the precursor charge, there would be nothing behind the tiles to stop or at least reduce the effectiveness of the main charge, since a thin layer of RHA and cast steel isn't really a defence against shaped charge jets.

Secondly, what if the portion gets struck by a kinetic energy round??What then??Even if it does set of the ERA tile which would result in the rod losing a part of its energy and mass, you would steel need some armor to catch the rest of it!!And I don't think a thin plate of RHA can do that.
It works much the same way as does bullet resistant glass and ESAPI inserts of the plate carriers!!The bullet proof glass is made of multiple alternating layers of some hard glass plates and some flexible materials like epoxy resin.The glass breaks the projectile and the resin layer catches the fragments.
ESAPI inserts work much the same way, where the outer hard layer of ceramic breaks the bullets upon impact and the underlying layer of Kevlar catches the fragments.
Now ERA- composite armor combo works much the same way as do= the armored glass and ESAPI inserts.Just compare the ERA tiles as the out hard surface that breaks or degrades the incoming projectiles and the think of the underlying composite layer as the Kevlar/resin which catches the fragments.Put both components together and you will achieve a very high level of defence but take out just one component and it will fall apart!!

Now coming to the most important part, and i can not and I repeat, I can not stress this fact hard enough, that this one design flaw doesn't turn the Type series of tanks into some utterly crappy design, not at all!!Anyone, drawing such a conclusion from my post would simply be deluding himself because that's not what I'm implying here and neither it's the truth.In reality,they are very potent tanks and can become extremely dangerous in the right hands and should always be treated with utmost caution.
And besides, gunners are always trained to aim for centre-mass and not for the sides or the top, so a partially exposed turret roof isn't really that big of a trouble if you look at it.But as we know, gunners do tend to miss and therefor, nothing should be left to chances.Just one unlucky hit at such a point might result in the crew being severely incapacitated or even killed altogether if the fragments manage to hit any exposed propellant bags or the hydraulic fluids.

Correct that sandwiching ERA and composite blocks is arguably the preferred method for stopping kinetic energy rounds. The point of contention here, in my perspective, is how easy (or difficult) it is for a gunner to target the strip of exposed area on the ZTZ-96A's turret whilst facing counter-fire.

All fair points but again you are making one elementary mistake of looking at the whole thing from the firepower perspective!!But that wasn't the subject of our discussion here!!Sure, the real life scenarios are never ideal and they never will be and the variations will take their effects on the eventual output of energy delivered but it won't change one fact - that between two guns of different length and same bore diameter and with similar built quality and materials, the longer one will always retain an advantage of higher muzzle energy over the shorter one for same type of ammunition used!!

Of course no vehicle should be evaluated on the sole aspect of firepower, but my argument was precisely in response to your premise that the 2A46M4 exceeds the ZTZ-96 gun (which remains unknown today) in energy. The make and finish of the guns are not the only factors that need to be constant if barrel length is the only deciding factor. Propellant quantity (which can be affected by autoloader design), propellant burn rate, etc., are key unknown parameters.

Moreover, without calculations, it remains unknown as to the magnitude of change 4 calibers would bring.

For example, you might argue that the shorter gun might use a better round and thus turning the table on the former, yes it can.But it will change the firepower equilibrium and not that of the guns involved themselves!!The longer gun will still be a more powerful weapon.
And besides, one could use the same argument for the longer gun as well - what if the longer gun is issued with better rounds??What then??

Another point you have raised is built quality and materials used.Valid point and I'm not gonna deny that but i was kinda unwilling to dabble in this because it might be a bit ahh............ controversial.I mean sure, you could say that the metallurgy of the Chinese guns concerned here is radically different from that of the one used in the 2A46M2/4 tank guns although I doubt that would be the case since a high powered modern tank gun demands some very unique sets of requirements like a very high tensile strength and also resistance against barrel wear which sorta limit the options for materials that can be used and overall, the choice of material remains quite similar across the world - some Steel Titanium alloy although I am not aware of the exact composition.Now the materials used and their percentage in the matrix may vary a little bit from country to country but trust me, the difference won't be to the point where it would simply alter the entire characteristics of one particular model over the others.
Now, about the controversial part, and you may not like it - but even if we are to take this line of approach, that the composition of the gun barrels are totally different from one another, don't you think that in that case, the Russian one would most probably take the cake??I mean, they are at this business since before the WWII for crying out loud!!Heck, at one point they had even snatched the lead away from their NATO counterparts in their race to develop the most powerful tank gun!!
So logically, their guns are oughtta be better since they are much more experienced and experience does matter - A LOT!!But for pure argument's sake, I'm willing to accept both Chinese and Russian guns as equals in terms of built quality (guys like Damian or Vasily Fofanov would probably laugh their bloody @rses off if they do come across this post but hey, screw them for now :D ) Even then the Russian gun would come out on top for pure law of physics!!

At a final note, I just want to say that if you go back to my original post, I had said that I was willing to bet 2A46M2/4 would be somewhat better than the gun on board the ZTZ 96, with somewhat being the keyword here.What I really meant with this was that, even if the former holds some degree of advantage over the later, it would in no way be overwhelming or even that much significant to the point it would alter the outcome of a potential confrontation between them................and that, it was merely mentioned for comparison purposes.

Fair enough with the latter part of your post; I think we can agree that the difference generated by a 4-caliber discrepancy may not necessarily translate to anything notable on the battlefield.

However, I'd like to mention that even though Russians have been in the MBT business far longer than the Chinese, the latter has been pumping R&D and effort into this phase at a far higher rate.

A second look at the photographs show that this issue, although seemingly apparent from the photograph angle and the bulging base of the cupolas, is not a significant malformation. The armor modules extend all the back to the side and top of the grenade launchers, arching all the way to the side of the gun. Hence, the only truly exposed portion of the turret roof would be the segment directly posterior and superior to the gun, and anterior to the cupolas.

Actually, if you take a detailed look at the third and fourth photograph, let me post them again, here

96 2.jpg

and

96 2 - Copy.jpg

it would be clearly visible to you that it's not just the patch of rooftop lying immediately posterior and superior positions of the main gun but the entire right side, including the commander's cupola base is exposed to a good degree.
Sure, the armor blocks extended as far back as the smoke grenade dischargers but it doesn't not block the bulge or the cupola at all, simply because it lies at a lower level,since the roof is canted upwards towards the behind!!

It is clearly visible in the following photograph of a Type 99

type_99_l9.jpg

As we can see in the above photograph, none of the two bulges are covered in anyway by the turret front armor modules and the tank is also sitting over a flat patch of ground and is not tilted towards either back or forth, so that means if those parts are visible to us, it would be visible to the other side as well.

Here is the marked version :

type_99_l9 - Copy.jpg

The line A (in black) denotes the upper most edge of the armor blocks.Now, as we can see, it's not just the portion immidiately above and posterior of the main gun that would be exposed as you have theorised but the commanders cuopla base and the raised cupola itself would be exposed as well!!Why??Because the armor blocks are simply not high enough to cover the raised portion, since they are placed at a lower plane.

Here is the last photograph :
Type_96A_-_Tankbiathlon15finalp1-15.jpg

Between line B and line A, that entire portion is sticking out, above the upper most edge of the frontal armor.And by the way, in this photograph, the tank is actually tilted backwards slightly, which means, had it been on a flat patch of ground or tilted towards the front, even more portions of the roof would have become exposed from the front.

And here is the clearest one so far, it just doesn't get clearer anymore
Type 96 1 - Copy.jpg

The red line is the upper most limit of the frontal armor and any and all parts, sticking out above that plane would be directly exposed from the frontal arc.

And that's the reason why it's not advisable to design the turret roof this way.It creates avoidable weak zones which could other wise be completely masked by the turret front armor modules, by welding the roof parallel to the surface instead of canting them upwards.But then again, I think the engineers were already aware of this fact but still went ahead with this as a design trade off, since they were probably asked by the Army to keep the overall height lower (or so it seems).Now if you want to keep the height low, it would mean you will have less room inside to put all the gizmos, and may be in the end, they just had to go for a slopping and bulged rooftop, in order to make room for the crew as well as various electronic equipment and also, to an extend, to ensure unobstructed field of view for the Gunner's main Sight.
Well, it's a fair trade off I must say, cause no gunner really aims for roof top.

Correct that sandwiching ERA and composite blocks is arguably the preferred method for stopping kinetic energy rounds. The point of contention here, in my perspective, is how easy (or difficult) it is for a gunner to target the strip of exposed area on the ZTZ-96A's turret whilst facing counter-fire.

You probably overlooked what i wrote in my end note, here it is again,
"Now coming to the most important part, and i can not and I repeat, I can not stress this fact hard enough, that this one design flaw doesn't turn the Type series of tanks into some utterly crappy design, not at all!!Anyone, drawing such a conclusion from my post would simply be deluding himself because that's not what I'm implying here and neither it's the truth.In reality,they are very potent tanks and can become extremely dangerous in the right hands and should always be treated with utmost caution.
And besides, gunners are always trained to aim for centre-mass and not for the sides or the top, so a partially exposed turret roof isn't really that big of a trouble if you look at it.But as we know, gunners do tend to miss and therefor, nothing should be left to chances.Just one unlucky hit at such a point might result in the crew being severely incapacitated or even killed altogether if the fragments manage to hit any exposed propellant bags or the hydraulic fluids."

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/third-regiment-of-t-72-tanks-to-be-moved-to-ladakh-soon.440124/page-4#ixzz4F1dFFmgt[/QUOTE]

The thing is, I'm not really comfortable with leaving things, no matter how small they are, to eventuality or chances.Sure, the gunners are trained for taking aim at the centre-mass and for a valid reason.Anyone who has ever tried their hands on a good quality simulator would know what I'm trying to convey here.but the thing is, even with the most sophisticated computing and most sensitive and stable of the stabilisation systems in place, one can never completely do away with shot dispersion and even the most well aimed shots sometimes get missed the spot you originally aimed for if you know what I mean!!

Of course no vehicle should be evaluated on the sole aspect of firepower, but my argument was precisely in response to your premise that the 2A46M4 exceeds the ZTZ-96 gun (which remains unknown today) in energy.
Well, the M4 is a comparatively newer design and it was only fitted to the later models of the T 90s,like the S and M models.The original T 90A, with cast turret and earlier b models were fitted with the M2 version.Now if i'm not wrong, the ZTZ 96 first entered service around 1996 or so ,which would put its gun at the same time level as the M2.That's why I said that logically m4 should be somewhat better.But for the sake of debate, I'm willing to accept that they are at the same technological level of maturity even if more knowledgeable guys on this subject would surely disagree to this notion.
The make and finish of the guns are not the only factors that need to be constant if barrel length is the only deciding factor. Propellant quantity (which can be affected by autoloader design), propellant burn rate, etc., are key unknown parameters.
Again fair point but again you are shifting your focus towards the realm of firepower instead of power of the gun itself.
Now, coming to your points, the autoloader dimensions between the two tanks would not differ that much because the hulls themselves are of very similar dimentions if not identical, so obviously the room left for the carousel wouldn't differ much from one another and as a result, the propellant charges should be quite similar as well.Now propellant quality can play a significant part but then again, it has got nothing to do with the gun itself!!

Please try to understand the point i raised.What i meant to say was that, for a given type of ammo and charge bag, the 2A46 would be able to hurl the projectile at higher muzzel velocities than would be possible for the one on board ZTZ 96.
For example, if both guns fire the Mango round, the 2A46M2 would be able to propel the rod at somewhat higher velocities than the 96's gun, it's as simple as that.

Now obviously you can have better ammo and turn the table on the 2A46M but that would be triumphing in terms of firepower and not necessarily the power of the gun itself!!See what am saying here??

Moreover, without calculations, it remains unknown as to the magnitude of change 4 calibers would bring.

Well, definitely not to a degree significant enough to tilt the balance completely in favor of the longer model, that's for sure. :)
However, I'd like to mention that even though Russians have been in the MBT business far longer than the Chinese, the latter has been pumping R&D and effort into this phase at a far higher rate.

While it's true that pumping in more resources in R&D has its own merits, it still can not make up for experience gained through years of painstaking research, at least not on short order it can not!!For example, despite pumping in billions of dollars, your companies are still struggling with your jet engine programs and you still need to buy them from your northern neighbour.
Or, like you guys still need to import Su 35BMs despite of having years of research and again billions spent in your aircraft industries (not mean to say that you have nothing to show for your efforts though).
Or, like despite of building so many versions of S 300 for so long a period, you still find it necessary to import S 400 along with its entire sets of ground radars.
Ever asked yourself why??Because it's a misconception often held by even many educated persons (like yourself and me as well in the past) that money alone can compensate for experience but it doesn't work that way.in the worlds of high end R&D, experience still play a very major and important role and is as necessary as resources, if not more than that.

Mountains prevent manoeuvring of tanks to full extent which can affect flanking of enemy forces from desired directions. In early days, 106mm RR's required LOS to take out armour and in some cases bazookas were scarce but with ATGM's in hands of infantry now, tanks can be ambushed easily.

If the requirement was firepower in the region then it could have been through MLRS regiment or a squadron of attack helicopters. The MLRS regiment would have packed a strong punch at strongholds where as helicopters are more manoeuvrable and faster than tanks with quick delivery of firepower.
I also saw a pic of BMP, which means mechanised infantry is also in area, this means that IA plans an offensive in the region to transport infantry into enemy area.

Back in 1965, when a Pakistani infantry Battalion CO saw Indian tanks in Kashmir region,he couldnt stop laughing when a sepoy standing next to him said sir bharat kay pass itna tank hay kay isko samajh bhi nai ati kahan istamal karay.

hopefully these tanks dont find a way towards Leh and towards AK border during a war with pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom