What's new

Thinking of visiting Pakistan -

First concern is food. I keep kosher, so that rules out meat. Fruit, vegetables, and even plain bread should be all right.

Milk I might accept if it was Halal-certified. Is there Halal certification of milk and dairy products in Pakistan?

Pakistan is in Islamic country so Everything here is Halal but you would have issues with Lamb i suppose which is available in the market.

Muslims can eat Kaushar meat too , not sure if you can eat halal but i can assure you that all of the Dairy products are halal.

If you have a US passport make sure you travel on that as if you are an Israeli you would be sent back on the plane you came.

Thanks and good luck.:pakistan:

That is a joke right? Or serious? Pakistan still does not recognize Israel? That means Israelis cant travel to Pakistan?:undecided::undecided:

He is he American right!!!!!!!
Who told you that he is Israeli?:pop::pop:

No need to make this an international affairs thread. Not only can ANYONE with a US passport, regardless of dual nationality, place of birth, religion and national origin, travel to Pakistan, we also allow visa on arrival for US nationals. It takes an extra 45 minutes at the airport as the immigration officer will send you to a secondary desk, but you can even travel to Pakistan without a visa on a US passport.

I normally recommend to all my American friends that they should obtain a visa from the Pakistani embassy or any of the consulates in the US as it is a painless process which does not require in person presence, and it saves you the extra wait after a long flight across the Atlantic.

No need to make this an international affairs thread. Not only can ANYONE with a US passport, regardless of dual nationality, place of birth, religion and national origin, travel to Pakistan, we also allow visa on arrival for US nationals. It takes an extra 45 minutes at the airport as the immigration officer will send you to a secondary desk, but you can even travel to Pakistan without a visa on a US passport.

I normally recommend to all my American friends that they should obtain a visa from the Pakistani embassy or any of the consulates in the US as it is a painless process which does not require in person presence, and it saves you the extra wait after a long flight across the Atlantic.

Bhai jaan we were talking about Israeli citizens:D

Wow! I deeply appreciate the enthusiastic response of so many Forum members. I have time to answer just a few questions right now:

Aren't the Halal and Kosher methods viz meat not pretty much identical?...hey buddy kosher is halal, isnt it??
There are important differences between kosher and halal. Basically, everything kosher is halal, but very little that is halal can be assumed kosher.

And nothing meat. Some animals, like the camel and hyrax, are permitted for Muslims to eat but not Jews, and of those animals that are permissible the slaughter rules are different and certain nerves must be removed from the slaughtered animal, meaning there are cuts of meat Muslims can eat but Jews can't.

I think vegetables are OK, as are fruits other than grapes. Plain milk I'll accept, and maybe butter too. Other milk products are a different matter - it seems to depend on what standards the local Muslims accept. That's why I asked if there was halal certification, so I could find out more.

There are also synagogue's in Karachi and faislabad, do not know where though.
I knew about Karachi but not about Faislabad.

I'm thinking Karachi will be my first stop and Lahore my last. "Starting at the bottom and working my way up" the Indus, so to speak...

Welcome, welcome! Let us know how we can be of assistance. If you need some help getting around, let me know and I'll be happy to arrange things for you.

It is impossible, pretty much, to find anything not-Halal in Pakistan.

Aren't the Halal and Kosher methods viz meat not pretty much identical? You will find tons of very appealing food choices even if you limit your diet to vegetables and bread. Some things you should not miss out on:

1) Samosa (Fried flaky pastry with spicy potato mix inside. Not a meal, but a great snack... YUM!)
2) Aloo-chanay or Anda-chana with naan (Potato/Garbanzo curry or Egg/Garbanzo curry with Naan bread)
3) Palak (Spinach cooked in an exclusively Pakistani way)
4) Aloo wala naan (Naan bread with spicy potato stuffing)
5) B.hindi (Semi-dry spicy okra dish with onions, tomatoes and more)
6) Poori with Bhujia (fried, flaky bread made with white flour accompanied by Garbanzo or Potato curry - signature breakfast dish)

Do try the fresh fruit juices. If you go to Lahore, try the juices at Palmer's at the Royal Palm Club.

Also, the Dam Pukht restaurant at the Pearl continental is stellar! If you can do sea food, you must try their "Till wala Jheenga" - a signature shrimp dish they do which is just supremely delicious!

The best Thai soup I've ever had and some of the best Chinese food is available at Stevie's Wok in DHA Lahore.

If you can resolve the Kosher-Halal scenario, you MUST try the grilled meats! My mouth is watering as I write this, but Seekh kebabs, Bihari kebab, Malai boti, Chapli kebab and Chicken Tikka are just a few options. Bihari kebabs are pretty darn good at Bundu Khan at Fortress Stadium.

Damn good Italian food at Cafe' Aylanto (MM Alam Road)

For pastries/cakes, try Masoom's bakery off MM Alam Road, or Coffe Tea and Company a little further down on the same road. The Pakistani "icecream", Kulfi, is also very popular. You can get good Kulfi from Nirala sweets which has several branches across the city (one is close to Stevie's Wok and another is on the Main Boulevard in Hafeez center)

Good flame broiled burgers and fast food at Hardee's off MM Alam road.

Fun, happening place to eat late at night is Cafe' Zouk also off MM Alam. Music can be pretty loud though.

You are thanking your own post. Hmmm you are giving me ideas. On the topic I must say add Korai Gosh to the list. I get it sometimes from a Pakistani Restaurant in Sunrise, FL. Never failed to amaze me.
Yummy yummy in my tummy. :D

Pakistani food i guess is simlar to our north indian food that we have in delhi and other places.. had eaten in one pakistani restaurent when i was in dubai.. its tasty.. but i guess you northies including indians and pakistanis use same masala... for your fish curry and your chicken curry..!!! And it tastes all the same ..!!! :P

You guys come to kerala.. where we use different masalas for fish curry and chicken... very tasty.. well one thing would be a problem for yaa.. the Coconut oil which we use in our curries.. :D

Welcome, welcome, don't forget to try out Lahore's all so famous "Lahori Chargha" and "Nihari" ;P

do try to inform us when you visit pak and please keep us updated about your journey, will appreciate this very much!!, we will also try to help you out with our knowledge. good luck.

Some types of Pakistani music, like Pathan military music, are reputed to be very interesting, un-western, and original. Where can I witness such a performance?

Keep us updated on your visit Solomon. Just curious, what's the purpose of your visit? Just tourism or do you have work there?

Back
Top Bottom