What's new

These 5 far-out space projects are making science fiction a reality

Just a stupid question.. How are they planning to bring electricity down to earth? :crazy:

They will invite the great King 'Ravan" from the past again who said he ill make a bridge from earth to heaven..

"around the planets in 8 dollars"

Or 'Around the world in 80 days"?

Another thing should be stopping or slowing down of human ageing process, I presented an idea in bio MEMs class, and teacher said he's gonna evaluate if it's feasible.

Just a stupid question.. How are they planning to bring electricity down to earth? :crazy:

Concentrated microwave emission.

My apologies, I should have clarified. I have taken some courses involving Theoretical & Astrophysics. it's however not my current major at school though. I study warp capability purely as an enthusiastic amatuer.

I personally believe it to be within the realm of possibility. The energy requirements are just so massive though.

Was reading an article recently that tweaking with the shape of the theoretical design has brought down the energy requirements quite significantly. Still hundreds of kg of exotic anti-matter fuel is probably a century of technological advancement away unless there are more breakthroughs of course.

NASA discusses its warp drive research, prepares to create a warp bubble in the lab | ExtremeTech

Can you elaborate? I am very much curious about it..

They'll convert the electricity into concentrated beam of microwave radiation and it will be beamed back to earth. And it can be harvested by solar cell type structures to convert it back to electricity. And it's efficiency will be higher than solar cells.

Another thing should be stopping or slowing down of human ageing process, I presented an idea in bio MEMs class, and teacher said he's gonna evaluate if it's feasible.
Lasers can be used too.

We know the Sun can provide all the energy we could need. Scientists, including researchers at ESA are trying to find a way to capitalise on this amazing energy source without negatively affecting life on Earth. Whilst power plants and photovoltaic cells have made massive advances, they can lose efficiency due to bad weather, and cannot function at night. For this reason, scientists are looking at ways of capturing the Sun's rays before they enter the Earth's atmosphere and then sending the electricity to the ground from generators in space.

In space-based solar power, the sunlight could be turned to electricity that could then be beamed to Earth. The process would be analogous to the power supply of many satellites – but on a much bigger scale. Studies have shown the feasibility of the concept, but many technologies still need to be improved in the coming decades. ESA is exploring these technologies, many of which have other useful applications on Earth.

In industry, companies such as EADS Astrium are also working on the problem. The company envisages producing roughly 10 kW to users on the ground using a laser-powered transmission system.

Europe seen by ESA astronaut André Kuipers onboard the ISS
High-energy beams being sent to Earth would be no more powerful than normal sunlight, and less harmful to humans since they would not carry ultraviolet wavelengths, which can be damage human eyes and skin. Astrium is continuing to invest in research to develop the technology could yield safe and sufficient power for people all over the planet.

The European Network on Solar Power from space was established in 2002 to allow the sharing of expertise and experience from the solar power and space industries. Studies included the rates of power usage and supply that would be required. The upfront costs would be considerable – especially the cost of the launch of equipment to orbit. However, the amount of energy generated in space would quickly outstrip the amount of energy needed to build the satellites. Whilst terrestrial solar power will be a significant contributor of energy in the next 20 years in Europe, space-based solar power could increase in importance thereafter.

How will humans die than don't you think it will cause a overpopulation problem

Another thing should be stopping or slowing down of human ageing process, I presented an idea in bio MEMs class, and teacher said he's gonna evaluate if it's feasible. Concentrated microwave emission.
Genetic modification is also a good way to do that.

A jelly fish is found which can age backwards.

"Immortal" Jellyfish Swarm World's Oceans
Ker Than
forNational Geographic News
January 29, 2009
A potentially "immortal" jellyfish species that can age backward—theBenjamin Buttonof the deep—is silently invading the world'soceans, swarm by swarm, a recent study says.

Like the Brad Pitt movie character, the immortal jellyfish transforms from an adult back into a baby, but with an added bonus: Unlike Benjamin Button, the jellyfish can do it over and over again—though apparently only as an emergency measure.

About as wide as a human pinky nail when fully grown, the immortal jellyfish (scientific name:Turritopsis dohrnii) was discovered in the Mediterranean Sea in 1883. But its unique ability was not discovered until the 1990s.

How the Jellyfish Becomes "Immortal"

Turritopsistypically reproduces the old-fashioned way, by the meeting of free-floating sperm and eggs. And most of the time they die the old-fashioned way too.

But when starvation, physical damage, or other crises arise, "instead of sure death,[Turritopsis]transforms all of its existing cells into a younger state," said study author Maria Pia Miglietta, a researcher at Pennsylvania State University.

The jellyfish turns itself into a bloblike cyst, which then develops into a polyp colony, essentially the first stage in jellyfish life.

The jellyfish's cells are often completely transformed in the process. Muscle cells can become nerve cells or even sperm or eggs.

Through asexual reproduction, the resulting polyp colony can spawn hundreds of genetically identical jellyfish—near perfect copies of the original adult.

This unique approach to hardship may be helpingTurritopsisswarms spread throughout the world's oceans, she added.

The warp drive though theoretically possible, is still practically science fiction.

They'll convert the electricity into concentrated beam of microwave radiation and it will be beamed back to earth. And it can be harvested by solar cell type structures to convert it back to electricity. And it's efficiency will be higher than solar cells.
How do they plan to account for earth's rotation? Or will the beam be sent in batches?

5. NASA will begin growing plants on the Moon in 2015
4. NASA is developing a 3D printer to print food in space
3. Two companies will begin mining asteroids in 2016
2. A Japanese construction firm is planning to turn the Moon into a giant solar power plant
1. NASA is working on a faster-than-light warp drive

5. No big deal, they are already doing it in space stations! The challenge would be to go to Moon and set up the infrastructure.
4. More time for @levina to watch TV, her husband will be chewing printed Mutton Biryani! :P
3. Easier to mine Moon, difficult to settle on an asteroid.
2. Anything is possible for Japanese! :) @MohitV @seiko Electricity can already be transported wirelessly for shorter distances, they need to improve the tech.
1. Many married men would line up for a trip!! :D

4. More time for @levina to watch TV, her husband will be chewing printed Mutton Biryani! :P
:close_tema:

How many channels does the martian DTH show??:dirol:

And i have decided to carry out dharnas for female liberation in space too:feminist:

But i like the idea of my hubby eating the printed biryani...I'll feed the biryani to my printer once...save it and print it on demand.:dance3:
Btw what would i eat....printed aaloo parathas??:coffee:

DRAY said:
1. Many married men would line up for a trip!! :D
That one whooshed over my head....explain phalees.
confused2.gif

Btw i am still waiting for ur theory on why NOT mars.
And what is this thing about earth getting too close to sun by 2050?? Is it true??? Never read anything like that before.

I presented an idea in bio MEMs class, and teacher said he's gonna evaluate if it's feasible.
Wow!!!
kneel-smiley.gif

Ker Than
January 29, 2009
A potentially "immortal" jellyfish species that can age backward—theBenjamin Buttonof the deep—is silently invading the world'soceans, swarm by swarm, a recent study says.

Awwwwwesome.

Thanks @thesolar65 thanks for bringing me to this thread....i would have missed out on so many things.

Last edited:
:
How many channels does the martian DTH show??:dirol:

And i have decided to carry out dharnas for female liberation in space too:feminist:

But i like the idea of my hubby eating the printed biryani...I'll feed the biryani to my printer once...save it and print it on demand.:dance3:
Btw what would i eat....printed aaloo parathas??:coffee:

I hope it doesn't sound too bad to Pakistani and Indian posters.

If the food is being "printed", does it really matter if it has to be vegetarian or halal or kosher?

Why not have pork chops or Keema paratha.

It is just printed food.

No pig or cow was ever slaughtered

Since no slaughtering took place in the first place, the idea of being kosher will have to be revisited. Big time :lol:

Oh and space societies will be kind of terristial societies of 20,000 years ago.

Men and women both have to work.

in fact women will be doing double work again. bearing children and working in the fields.

There will not be extra stuff and time that would allow women like Gloria Steinem to go around honking cars.

Oh that sad thinking sends down shivers down my spine.

All that hard work by feminists will be lost. Sadly.

Genetic modification is also a good way to do that.

Ker Than
January 29, 2009

Like the Brad Pitt movie character, the immortal jellyfish transforms from an adult back into a baby, but with an added bonus: Unlike Benjamin Button, the jellyfish can do it over and over again—though apparently only as an emergency measure.

About as wide as a human pinky nail when fully grown, the immortal jellyfish (scientific name:Turritopsis dohrnii) was discovered in the Mediterranean Sea in 1883. But its unique ability was not discovered until the 1990s.

How the Jellyfish Becomes "Immortal"

Turritopsistypically reproduces the old-fashioned way, by the meeting of free-floating sperm and eggs. And most of the time they die the old-fashioned way too.

But when starvation, physical damage, or other crises arise, "instead of sure death,[Turritopsis]transforms all of its existing cells into a younger state," said study author Maria Pia Miglietta, a researcher at Pennsylvania State University.

The jellyfish turns itself into a bloblike cyst, which then develops into a polyp colony, essentially the first stage in jellyfish life.

The jellyfish's cells are often completely transformed in the process. Muscle cells can become nerve cells or even sperm or eggs.

Through asexual reproduction, the resulting polyp colony can spawn hundreds of genetically identical jellyfish—near perfect copies of the original adult.

This unique approach to hardship may be helpingTurritopsisswarms spread throughout the world's oceans, she added.

Aging in humans is a very complicated process. There are multiple fronts on which work needs to be done like telomeres length, AGE(advanced glycation product) breaking and inhibition, harmonal, enzyme and co-enzyme replenishment, DNA repair(sirt gene activation) are some fronts on which work is being done. The only known sure shot way of slowing ageing for now is caloric restriction.

Back
Top Bottom