What's new

These 5 far-out space projects are making science fiction a reality

Warp drive use warmhole technology. So if humans decideds to travel andromeda galaxy than it will take few minutes to reach.... If they decides to come back next day than around 100years will be passed by....

No. Ship at warp moves at slow speed in the "bubble" that contracts and expands space. No time travel effect when returning because ship moves slowly in comparison to light speed where time and space get more "corrupted" the faster you go.

Wormhole concept similarly involves no high speed, just lot's of power to be able to bend space time fabric to make two points meet.
---------------------------------------

Two articles about the planned 3D printer being sent to ISS if anyone is interested.

3D printing for space: the additive revolution / Research / Human Spaceflight / Our Activities / ESA

BBC News - Amaze project aims to take 3D printing 'into metal age'

Last edited:
How do they plan to account for earth's rotation? Or will the beam be sent in batches?

Very good question and I'm glad you come up with that. The solution could by as simple as using few space based microwave concentrators to concentrate and direct the beam to desired locations, and microwave harvesters can be located at different isolated areas spread across the world. So at a definite time, some point will always get energy.

That is why I'm in favor of microwave than laser, as it is less prone to refraction because of varying concentration of earth's atmosphere.

Yep... Warp drive is supposed to compress space in front on the craft and expand on the back, basically, using space itself as a conveyor belt. Wormholes would basically punch hole in space time connecting 2 regions together.

Oh boy... This thread has activated the nerd inside me:)

Last edited:
Very good question and I'm glad you come up with that. The solution could by as simple as using few space based microwave concentrators to concentrate and direct the beam to desired locations, and microwave harvesters can be located at different isolated areas spread across the world. So at a definite time, some point will always get energy.

That is why I'm in favor of microwave than laser, as it is less prone to refraction because of varying concentration of earth's atmosphere.

I am sure air planes will be redirected to avoid the beam or beams.

but unless the beam is moduleated somehow, it may "cook" any bird flock that may come its way. Possible?

Just an innocent and perhaps $tupid question. :lol:

I believe they'll go for aeroponics for space or moon/mars based agriculture. This process requires requires 90% less water, zero insecticides and minimal fertiliser, under artificial red light source. In this process, mineral rich water is sprayed in the roots, suspended in air for 3 seconds in every 20 minutes. Best thing is no soil is required.

but unless the beam is moduleated somehow, it may "cook" any bird flock that may come its way. Possible?

Roast duck is a suitable byproduct if you ask me. :D

Exactly the concern, and imagine it's use as a potential weapon if it falls in the hand of some evil genius like me. Think about redirecting the concentrator/directors to any big city, and watch all the people suffering the worst possible death, they will see the skin evaporating, and they'll be alive for most part of the torture. Even if they find shade, all the water vapors can be heated up to ionization level.

And on hind sight, think about it's potential use in space exploration. The beam can be beamed back to Solar Sail type space crafts to a large distance. Making trip to mars and beyond very economical, as they won't have to worry about dwindling solar radiation intensity. hence using small microwave radiation harvester, they can save on launch weight.

Exactly the concern, and imagine it's use as a potential weapon if it falls in the hand of some evil genius like me. Think about redirecting the concentrator/directors to any big city, and watch all the people suffering the worst possible death, they will see the skin evaporating, and they'll be alive for most part of the torture. Even if they find shade, all the water vapors can be heated up to ionization level.

And on hind sight, think about it's potential use in space exploration. The beam can be beamed back to Solar Sail type space crafts to a large distance. Making trip to mars and beyond very economical, as they won't have to worry about dwindling solar radiation intensity. hence using small microwave radiation harvester, they can save on launch weight.

you sure you are not ready to pen the next big scifi?

or worse

a movie script for next James bond?

Wow!!!
kneel-smiley.gif

It's very simple actually. The main cause of Ageing is because of the oxidant radicals released from the muscle/cell fatigue, which affects nearby cells and accelerates the aging process. My proposal was to design a bio-mems to detect the concentration of those free radicals in the blood stream, and stream the data to a mobile device. Which would then be transmitted to the data center, where complex algorithm will detect the rate of cell ageing, and would prescribe 'anti-oxidant' intake in the body.

The concern is, no study has been done yet to make a clear picture of anti-oxidant and radical reactions in blood stream, and cell. And if it's possible to revert back aged cell back to normal. Hence the teacher asked for time to evaluation, if all goes right, then i might get a PhD position and big *** funding in next Semester.

I believe they'll go for aeroponics for space or moon/mars based agriculture. This process requires requires 90% less water, zero insecticides and minimal fertiliser, under artificial red light source. In this process, mineral rich water is sprayed in the roots, suspended in air for 3 seconds in every 20 minutes. Best thing is no soil is required.
Wait, if the process is that good, why don't we use that en masse down here?

Wait, if the process is that good, why don't we use that en masse down here?

Initial setup cost if high, and has to be done in closed environment. And the level of automation is high, our farmers being illiterate, don't expect them to undertake these radical process.

:close_tema:

How many channels does the martian DTH show??:dirol:

All the channels you see here on Earth, with some localized programs like "Mars mein bhi kabhi saas-bahu thi" !!! :-)
And i have decided to carry out dharnas for female liberation in space too:feminist:

Sigh! There is no hope for men on Mars too! :cray:

But i like the idea of my hubby eating the printed biryani...I'll feed the biryani to my printer once...save it and print it on demand.:dance3:
Btw what would i eat....printed aaloo parathas??:coffee:

Aaloo parathas and couch potato, deadly combination!! :enjoy:

That one whooshed over my head....explain phalees.
confused2.gif

Oppressed souls might want to make a few hours or days journey through wormholes, when they come back 100-200 years would have passed by Earth's time! :D

Btw i am still waiting for ur theory on why NOT mars.
And what is this thing about earth getting too close to sun by 2050?? Is it true??? Never read anything like that before.

Well I said Mars could be our history but not our future in terms of a large life-supporting human civilization. Actually our solar system in its initial days was a large gaseous cloud circling around the Sun, while cooling down slowly, it started solidifying and formed thousands of small planets, which further started clubbing together as the bigger ones started attracting the smaller ones, some bigger planets became so big that some smaller planets started circling around the bigger planets instead of the Sun because of the large planets gravitational forces coupled with close proximity (Moon was probably created in a different manner though). So this is how our solar system came to its present form.

Now all were hot gaseous planets in the beginning, but they were cooling down and some planets started forming a solid crust on the top known as soil. but the core was/is still hot liquid. Now the interesting part; you know what makes the Earth habitable? It's the core, the core is primarily iron and other hot liquid metal always spinning and generating a force known as gravitation, this gravitational force is holding the layer of gases around the Earth broadly known as Atmosphere, this layer of gases are responsible for protecting our Earth from the extremely deadly solar radiation of the Sun, without this shield Sun would wipe out our climates, water, and all life forms, think of it like a gigantic microwave oven.

Now Mars once had water on surface, rivers and all just like Earth, definitely it also had an atmosphere, hence, life was not impossible on Mars. Since Mars was further from Sun than Earth, it cooled down and became life-supporting much earlier than Earth, so, if Mars ever had life, it had to predate Earth's. Now there is a possibility, a theory, that life on Mars evolved and became intelligent, when the understood that Mars is dying, probably they seeded the Earth with life. Or maybe, by that time life came to Earth also, but Martians seeded it with a more advanced form of life, i.e. human, to survive their species! Maybe our origin is Mars, maybe our gods were Martians!! Sometimes don't you feel we humans are kind of odd, misfit, out of the world, compared to all other life forms on this planet? :-)

Now, how Mars died? Well, it was a much smaller planet than Earth, hence, it cooled down faster, the liquid core became cold & solid, gravitational force was gone, so was the atmosphere, and Mars got cooked in the solar microwave! Our Earth will die the same way, unless it is hit by a large asteroid earlier than that, or we nuke it. :D

And no, we are not going close to Sun, Venus has no hope to sustain life as it is too close to sun, Mars cannot sustain life on its own anymore, and 2050 is a ridiculously close timeline, one should think in millions or billions of years in these matters. In fact, when the Sun will be dying, it will start expanding and eating up all the planets in its solar system, finally it will blast away. Stars that are much bigger than Sun start crumbling under their own weight and become Blackholes with gravitational force that even light can't escape.

btw, do you wear gold or platinum jewelry? look at them closely, those heavy metals didn't form on Earth, they formed in the core of a dying star, a star like our Sun, and then they came to Earth through space debris like asteroids!! Amazing?? :-)

Last edited:
It's very simple actually. The main cause of Ageing is because of the oxidant radicals released from the muscle/cell fatigue, which affects nearby cells and accelerates the aging process. My proposal was to design a bio-mems to detect the concentration of those free radicals in the blood stream, and stream the data to a mobile device. Which would then be transmitted to the data center, where complex algorithm will detect the rate of cell ageing, and would prescribe 'anti-oxidant' intake in the body.

The concern is, no study has been done yet to make a clear picture of anti-oxidant and radical reactions in blood stream, and cell. And if it's possible to revert back aged cell back to normal. Hence the teacher asked for time to evaluation, if all goes right, then i might get a PhD position and big *** funding in next Semester.

Oxidative stress is just one stimulus of ageing but not the only one, right?

Oxidative stress is just one stimulus of ageing but not the only one.

Exactly, hence i said slowing down. Even if we can extend human life by 15-20 years by these small steps, it's going to be a big thing.

Back
Top Bottom