What's new

The unification of the Arabian Peninsula?

80 million people combined.....damn my province (Punjab) has more people ! :sarcastic:

Either we breed like rabbits or the Arabs don't like babies ! :undecided:

Arabs breed just like us South Asians but there lands cannot support as much people as the plains of the Punjab. :)

@al-Hasani no love for the Yemenis? smh :lol:

Arabs breed just like us South Asians but there lands cannot support as much people as the plains of the Punjab. :)

Speak for yourself. Our Punjab has one of the lowest fertility rates in India at 1.7 TFR.

Poor Yemenis are left out because god was not kind to them when it comes to oil? Pathetic

It depends on how good of a political system you can create. A GCC federation technically can work but it would come at a peril of all not so powerful monarchies and they are not going to commit to it. Economy, defense, geopolitics, energy etc it makes complete sense but working out a fair federal model which works for conservative saudi arabia and liberal Bahrain and moderate UAE would not be easy.

Actually I hoped that this thread could kickstart a discussion about constitutional monarchies in the GCC as well with a similar role to those seen in Western Europe and with parliaments/real elections at the same time. So in other words real democracies.

I also think that federalism is the only way forward in such a nation as the Arabian Peninsula just like the Arab world as a whole is quite diverse.

Yemenis would be included as Yemen is a corner stone of the Arabian Peninsula historically, culturally and geographically. I have included them here and I hope that they will join the GCC at some point. Same with Jordan.

Poor Yemenis are left out because god was not kind to them when it comes to oil? Pathetic

They would be included in my vision and they might not be rich in terms of economy but they are one of the richest countries in terms of history, culture and natural beauty. You can't buy that with any money! Yemen actually has oil but not much compared to its neighbors and the population is also quite big. 25-30 million by now and one of the fastest growing in the world.

Let's start a discussion regarding the topic of the GCC or the Arabian Peninsula unifying into 1 big country. Notice that there is a difference between the actual political borders of the Arabian Peninsula and the geographical borders which also consists of Jordan, Southern Iraq and parts of Syria.

How foreseeable is it and what is needed in order for it to become a reality?

I will give my own opinion later if this discussion evolves into something serious or interesting. For now I will just leave it to others to comment on. I am mostly interested in hearing users from the Arabian Peninsula and their opinion regarding this. Which on PDF translates to users from KSA mainly as there are not many active Arab users on PDF to begin with let alone users from Kuwait, UAE, Bahrain, Qatar, Oman, Yemen etc. I actually think that there is none.:lol:

In the meantime I will just write some short facts. Only based on the current POLITICAL borders of the Arabian Peninsula mind you.

Area:
3,200,937 km2

If a country it would be the 7th biggest in the world.

Population:
Around 80,000,000 million as of 2014.

If a country it would be the 16th most populous country.

Economy:
GDP (nominal) $1,800-1,900 billion as of late 2014.

If a country it would have around the 10th biggest economy (GDP nominal)

GDP per capita as of late 2014:
Around $35,000 excluding impoverished Yemen.

If a country, excluding impoverished Yemen, it would be in the top 30 and among the richest considering size and population.

Let's not even discuss oil and gas reserves, natural riches in general, the strategic location, access to the Red Sea, Gulf, Arabian Sea and wider Indian Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea through the nearby Suez Canal.

Let's not forget the economic prognosis that consistently place GCC economies as among the fastest growing and their GDP per capita as among the highest in the world a long time into the future.

Or the endless potential on almost all areas that are yet to even remotely be fulfilled due to political and social reasons mainly.

gb3e2.jpg

Try to look at this scenario not necessarily from the current glasses as of 2014 but in 10-20 years time for instance where political regimes, laws etc. can have changed tremendously.

This could also lead to regional unifications elsewhere in the Arab world. I think that this will be the way forward.

No trolling please as that's not the propose of this thread.

@Arabian Legend @Yzd Khalifa @JUBA @BLACKEAGLE @Hazzy997 @Mosamania @Bubblegum Crisis @Awadd @Full Moon @Tihamah @Mootaz-khelifi @MooshMoosh @Mahmoud_EGY @Halimi @Hadbani @Haitham @burning_phoneix @FARSOLDIER @farag @Altamimi @Arabi @agentny17 @Chai @Tunisian Marine Corps @1000 @Algeria @Dino @fahd tamimi @Frogman @Hechmi Seif @Naifov @Andalusi Knight @thefreesyrian @Rakan.SA @tyrant @Ahmed Jo @ebray etc.

This may result in Qatari Emirs displacing Sauds.

I doubt Saudi youth will like that.

This may result in Qatari Emirs displacing Sauds.

I doubt Saudi youth will like that.

Please don't troll this thread mate and reread the topic from the beginning to the end. I don't care about any leaders. All I ask for is that they do a good job. Whatever their sect, family, social status, ethnicity, skin color etc. may be.

Please don't troll this thread mate and reread the topic from the beginning to the end. I don't care about any leaders. All I ask for is that they do a good job. Whatever their sect, family, social status, ethnicity, skin color etc. may be.

no trolling my dear.

Such threads lack serious introspection.

no trolling my dear.

Such threads lack serious introspection.

Don't get what you mean by that and don't understand your first comment here either. Let's stick to the topic here and make a serious thread. Nobody forces anybody here to participate.

Personally I also believe that there should be closer relations with neighboring countries like Iraq.

I also believe that a united Arabian Peninsula could serve as bridge to nearby Egypt and Horn of Africa/Eastern Africa. All potentially big and emerging markets.

Don't get what you mean by that and don't understand your first comment here either. Let's stick to the topic here and make a serious thread. Nobody forces anybody here to participate.

Personally I also believe that there should be closer relations with neighboring countries like Iraq.

I also believe that a united Arabian Peninsula could serve as bridge to nearby Egypt and Horn of Africa/Eastern Africa. All potentially big and emerging markets.

Do the introspection brother, find all the faults and weaknesses that KSA has.

Address them first, only then a union can happen.

EU happened because of an industrial power house like Germany.

your thread assumes that a country like Greece can form a big union.

not happening.

Greece can only follow and not lead.

@al-Hasani You have your work cut out, not many Arabs here to discuss this topic. But anyway I'll give my views.

The current borders of Arabian Peninsula was drawn mostly by colonial powers. As we can currently see that these borders are not working. There could be a union between the GCC. I'm still not sure how they would unite like US style federation though.

Option or Opportunity or Right for the People of Pakistan to Live under Imran Khan’s Leadership

imran-khan-jpg.138806

Normally Bangladeshi writers do not write anything of Pakistan-pro, because Bangladesh-Pakistan relationship is a very controversial issue. But as a writer I have wish to write when I found a concept of writing. I have been connected to the Dawn through facebook and sometimes I get opportunity to read the news paper online version, when I logged in facebook. I found Dawn is an International Standard news paper and source.

I also write column for Modern Ghana since 2009. When I started writing here, after few days later they assigned me as Operations Manager and South Asian Representative. I felt proud of their honor and value added to me that inspired me to continue write into there – indeed in future.

Anyway, I am not famed and wise experienced writer or a responsive journalist. But also I write sometimes whatever I found to write.

I have liked to write something about a world’s famous and great cricket celebrity Imran Khan. According to my prediction, I would write about his leadership for Pakistan.

After retirement from cricket, Imran Khan delivered his aim to become a great leader for his nation – Pakistan. It was not easy to rose in such power, popularity, and famous in the political platform.

I found, Many a people may said, his existing popularity in cricket background made his path easy, to become a cultivated politician.

It resembles the cited as Mayor in the story of Pied Piper of Hamelin; Then the Mayor said, “If the River of Weser could not remain so near of the Hamelin city, how you would solve the problem?”

I have to give another example that Nobel Laureate Dr. Muhammad Yunus also tried to become a politician in Bangladesh after he won the Nobel Peace Prize. But very effetely he failed and people did not accept him, though Bangladesh’s political flow is something different then India and Pakistan.

Imran Khan formed his political part namely Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf. Then quickly he was able to come in front of leadership and gather lot of people in his campaigns. Very quickly Pakistan and world’s media received it positively that he arrive to focus.

It is not the crated by third parties but he have been showing his qualification and continue straggling to build a better Pakistan and so he have to rise in government formation power, either he become a President or Prime Minister.

Pakistan has to uncover practice of real democracy in the form of capitalism, federalism, communism or any other form they also may newly develop as the Russia delivered communism after a democracy form released in the United States.

But why Pakistan would pursue to Imran Khan’s leadership? Whenever, Mamnoon Hussain, Mian Nawaz Sharif, Nasir-ul-Mulk, Nayyar Hussain Bukhari and Ayaz Sadiq are very happily and strongly handling Pakistan.

I think, Imran Khan holds good leadership skills of Muammar al-Gaddafi of Libya. Though Gaddafi’s military career and experiences made him dictator. That Gaddafi knew people do not accept a military officer as their leader through democracy, so he became dictator. Military officers always like to perform command & force and not capable to understand and realize public emotion and sentiment because of their most important time of life passed in the military customs and tradition.

But Imran Khan is now growing through an accepting platform. He becomes familiar and popular in the public platform. Pakistani people have love and faith on him. It is very important for a good leadership.

When people could trust him and love him then people may perform their activities whatever guide by the leader - Imran Khan. And by this way Imran Khan will capable to build a new Pakistan and sustainable educational & economical development will grow faster. Wherever, nuclear super power Pakistan will have available access to education in everywhere – all villages to remote areas. The misguided people do not involve to the Taliban, Al-Qaeda and any other terrorist group.

The world is growing very faster, economy, technology, education, agriculture and in every sector but still now lot of Pakistan’s children and women is obsessed in the educational rights, medical treatment facilities and other fundamental rights. Could you guess which way Pakistan is going forward?

Whoever leader(s) Pakistan requires right now, Pakistan cannot create yet but in this time, Imran Khan is the one of bests and more specifically – probably he is the best one right now.

So, it is right time to choose their leader for Pakistan’s people. This people do not mean only whoever are farmers and small businessmen but for everybody; government officers and employees, teachers, professors, doctors, engineers, scientists and everybody and also whoever hold the wealth’s and power.

There have a Proverbs; For lack of guidance a nation falls, but victory is won through many advisers.

So, Imran Khan presented himself, delivered himself to the people of Pakistan and now choice is depend upon people everybody. He is not come from military background; he is not come from existing political background that people know whoever is involved to practice dirty politics. He comes from fully different and new background that is cricket, was a great celebrity, was and remains in the heart of people of Pakistan.

It is also subject to remember that Imran Khan has very good popularity and acceptance all over the world. So, International relationship of Pakistan should work rightly that is very important for development of Pakistan.

Man cannot leave alone, so, you may say to your partner; If you seek my cooperation, please send me your favorite one to whom I may like and love and s/he also would capable to create his/her acceptance.

In the Global village, every nation is not out of the behavior.

People may not confuse to pick-up him as their leader as President or Prime Minister. It is not option, but opportunity to select him.

Author:
Hasanuzzaman Talukdar Shemul
Columnist and South Asian Representative of Modern Ghana Media Group
Student of Master of Disaster and Human Security Management program at Bangladesh University of Professionals

Dated: 27th October 2014, Monday, Dhaka - Bangladesh

Babu Ji wrong thread.

@al-Hasani You have your work cut out, not many Arabs here to discuss this topic. But anyway I'll give my views.

The current borders of Arabian Peninsula was drawn mostly by colonial powers. As we can currently see that these borders are not working. There could be a union between the GCC. I'm still not sure how they would unite like US style federation though.

Babu Ji Wrong thread.

Actually the borders of Yemen, Oman, Bahrain are as they always were mostly. The current borders of Yemen for instance correspondent almost fully with 3500 years old Yemeni kingdoms. KSA is basically a confederation of the historical regions of Hijaz, Najd and Eastern Arabian (Al-Ahsa) while the North is partially a part of the Levant and the Southeast is the Rub' al-Khali. Half of the Arabian Peninsula was never colonized for instance by any outsiders outside of Arabs and Semites which are all native to the Arabian Peninsula. The only "new" states are Kuwait, Qatar (a peninsula itself) and UAE. All small states. The British rule was very short-lived and they did not change any historical borders really. Besides the Arabian Peninsula remains the Arabian Peninsula. Same with Arabia.

It's a bit different in other parts of the ME and especially Africa.

GCC itself is already a big step towards unification.

Yes, there are about 40-50 of us Arab users here but only like 10 of us are active and not even always active.:lol: There are none Arab users from any country on the Arabian Peninsula outside of KSA. Well we had a Omani lady @Chai and she has not been active for months (sadly) and I think that we have a Kuwaiti user who is rarely active too. That's it. Rest are from KSA.:lol: There might be 450-500 million of us Arabs but not many of us have discovered PDF yet.;)

Actually the borders of Yemen, Oman, Bahrain are as they always were mostly. The current borders of Yemen for instance correspondent almost fully with 3500 years old Yemeni kingdoms. KSA is basically a confederation of the historical regions of Hijaz, Najd and Eastern Arabian (Al-Ahsa) while the North is partially a part of the Levant and the Southeast is the Rub' al-Khali. Half of the Arabian Peninsula was never colonized for instance by any outsiders outside of Arabs and Semites which are all native to the Arabian Peninsula. The only "new" states are Kuwait, Qatar (a peninsula itself) and UAE. All small states. The British rule was very short-lived and they did not change any historical borders really. Besides the Arabian Peninsula remains the Arabian Peninsula. Same with Arabia.

It's a bit different in other parts of the ME and especially Africa.

GCC itself is already a big step towards unification.

Yes, there are about 40-50 of us Arab users here but only like 10 of us are active and not even always active.:lol: There are none Arab users from any country on the Arabian Peninsula outside of KSA. Well we had a Omani lady @Chai and she has not been active for months (sadly) and I think that we have a Kuwaiti user who is rarely active too. That's it. Rest are from KSA.:lol: There might be 450-500 million of us Arabs but not many of us have discovered PDF yet.;)

one question wouldn't the poor countries like Yemen be a burden? Unless richer ones could help the poorer ones out. I mean EU gets dragged down even in one country performs poorly. And you are talking about a federation of many nations.

Back
Top Bottom