What's new

The turning comparison between JF-17 and F-16

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
This clip is not intended to show if the JF-17 out-turns the F-16, but is a brief turn-rate comparison between the two. (JF-17 is the first fighter that is being made by two Air-Forces i.e. the Chinese Air Force (PLAAF) and the Pakistan Air Force (PAF).

The F-16s complete a full 360 degree
turn within 1400 feet. The JF-17s
flying on the National Day Parade
were SBP Aicrafts (Small Batch Production,
closer to Production Aircraft ), they were
not flying as fast as the F-16 and they
have not been cleared to pull 8/9 G turns.
However both the fighter jets were
flying at almost the same altitude
i.e. 500 ft.
Keeping all these factors
in mind, the Thunder didn't dissapoint
at all!

media]

Last edited by a moderator:
Brother Haider,
Your enthusiasm is commendable, but my friend Thunder is not yet in full production and as yet we do not know what its deficiencies are. We are all proud of our achievement but we need to excercise a bit of caution. We have a long way to go and blowing our trumpet before we see the actual merchandise could cause a lot of egg on chin. Insha Allah, thunder will turn out to be a very good aircraft but there are still problems that we will need to iron out before it becomes as good or better than F16. Ihope you understand my reasons for this slightly cautious approach.
WaSalam
Araz

Essential is that F16 is based on 1970 tech (design) while Thunder is at the moment a prototype. So what did we achieve 35 years later? We did copy not only the design but also the characteristics... (duh... The wings are almost the same...) Furthermore... You can expect some serious differences if you take actual height (not ground height) into account and add to that that a fully moisturised European environment with 20 degrees Celsius is not comparable with hot and high in Islamabad... So in that respect the Thunder did a better job... But it also matters how much fuel the plane had at the moment of turning... Both are light agile fighters so every pound hurts...

Although the video is interesting, there are things that are not clear. First of all, IIRC, the max turn that the F-16 is involved in is usually done with full MP. I am not sure if the JF-17 pilot did the same because I have read that the pilots were taking it easy with the aircraft as it had been assembled only a few days prior in Pakistan. The flight manuevers undertaken at the JSP over ISB were pretty straight forward and forgiving. Compare those to the ones undertaken by Wng Co Haseeb Paracha year before where he put his F-16 through its paces. He pushed the aircraft to its limits on quite a few manuevers. I just did not see the same with the JF-17. So there is more to come from the JF-17 in my opinion.

I think in terms of agility and max turns etc, the JF-17 will be fairly close to the blk15 (one of the more agile F-16 blocks). Avionics is the department that I am more interested in.

The other thing is if the JF-17 is capable of sustained 9Gs. This is something that even the Mig-29 does not do whereas the F-16 does. Does anyone know if JF-17 is capable of sustained 9Gs?

I thought we had already discussed about this clip a lot , JF-17 is a prototype and we use cation while flying it. The JF-17 we saw at the 23rd march was operating at 40% of its operational capacity, not 100% . Making a comparsion between them at this time would be foolish.

as alot of my brothers said, that JF-17 is still under productions and is not fully capable of 100% output, but even after this, the plane did a superb job and mashAllah, may we see it flying and fighting for Pakistan in the future with its full capacity! Ameen!
:pakistan:

Although the video is interesting, there are things that are not clear. First of all, IIRC, the max turn that the F-16 is involved in is usually done with full MP. I am not sure if the JF-17 pilot did the same because I have read that the pilots were taking it easy with the aircraft as it had been assembled only a few days prior in Pakistan. The flight manuevers undertaken at the JSP over ISB were pretty straight forward and forgiving. Compare those to the ones undertaken by Wng Co Haseeb Paracha year before where he put his F-16 through its paces. He pushed the aircraft to its limits on quite a few manuevers. I just did not see the same with the JF-17. So there is more to come from the JF-17 in my opinion.

I think in terms of agility and max turns etc, the JF-17 will be fairly close to the blk15 (one of the more agile F-16 blocks). Avionics is the department that I am more interested in.

The other thing is if the JF-17 is capable of sustained 9Gs. This is something that even the Mig-29 does not do whereas the F-16 does. Does anyone know if JF-17 is capable of sustained 9Gs?

All the information on JF-17 from various sources suggest that it is capable of 8.5 Gs..

Most reliable link i will say;

Pakistan Aeronautical Complex....

yep you are right...then the question is, is it capable of 8.5Gs sustained?

The inside news is that JF-17 is capable of 8Gs sustained... But i recon with the inclusion of composites and new RD-93B with increased thrust which will change the thrust to weight ratio of JF-17... the newer batches will have 9Gs sustained.

The F-16 is better, it has been trialed by fire and used by many countries around the world.

So far there is no comparision b/w F16 and JF17 with only 4 A/C produced and we are going to match up it with one the best of its time and a/c which is produce in thousands we have to sit back and wait the comparision time will come some day ..

The F-16 is better, it has been trialed by fire and used by many countries around the world.

No one is doubting the capabilities of F-16... It is in its class the best fighter jet ever produced... But when you develope a plane you always keep in mind the potentials of the planes you have in your inventory... Considering the Blk 15 version pakistan has and as per the Airframe and all, by far it is the best manuvering Jet in PAF... (Since we are discussing Turning )... JF-17 airframe and aerodynamics has been designed keeping this in mind that it should atleast be at par with blk 15... If not better.

i 'll tell you F16 is a little better,but the gap is very...micro~ however, jf-17 is very cheap.
you must know this: an f 16 costs $30million and a jf-17 costs only $8 million.

you buy 1 f16 you can substitute with near 4 jf17. now which choice is more powerful?

Back
Top Bottom