Ceylal

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Algeria
444b8b81f1a3337ef2dd888e16456e2b.jpg

Credit:
Anadolu Agency/Getty Images

Exterior view of the "White Palace" in Ankara, Turkey.

Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has sometimes been accused of having an imperial, "neo-Ottoman" streak. Now he has the house to back it up.

Turkey's first family moved into a huge, brand-new presidential palace last week. The complex is called the Ak Saray, meaning "White Palace," but the name has a pointed undertone: Erdoğan's Justice and Development Party is abbreviated in Turkish as AK.

"The message there is that this party is here to stay as the ruling political force in the new Turkey," says Jacob Resneck, an Istanbul-based reporter.

The two million square foot residence, which has more than 1,000 rooms, cost Turkish taxpayers around $350 million to build. Many are unsurprisingly angry about picking up the tab. "The opposition party has been putting official questions to the parliament asking why it was so expensive," Resneck says.
41832f17cda532f62532feaa723733cd.jpg

41832f17cda532f62532feaa723733cd.jpg

Credit:
Umit Bektas/Reuters

Turkey's President Tayyip Erdogan poses after an official ceremony to mark Republic Day at the new Presidential Palace in Ankara October 29, 2014.

There are also allegations that the construction work was funneled to contractors close to the government, which allowed the companies to overbuild — and overcharge for the lavish work. "People got really rich off the project, and there's a lot of anger here because that's public money being spent," Resneck says.

As if that weren't enough, the palace is built on protected forest land on the outskirts of Ankara, which has sparked controversy as well. Environmentalists and opposition members took the issue to court, but the government ignored them.

"Erdoğan famously remarked that if the court has the power to stop [him], they'll stop [him] — but apparently they don't," Resneck says. "The contractors continued their work."

The Palace was built on a 1500 acres set by Mustafa Kamel Attaturk for a farm. Erdogan's jab at the Kemalist:rap:

ANKARA, Turkey — Sprawling over nearly 50 acres of forest land that was once the private estate of Turkey’s founding father, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, a new presidential compound has nearly 1,000 rooms, an underground tunnel system and the latest in anti-espionage technology. It is larger than the White House, the Kremlin and Buckingham Palace.

The reported price: nearly $350 million.

Then there is a new high-tech presidential jet (estimated price, $200 million), not to mention the new presidential office in a restored Ottoman-era mansion overlooking the Bosporus, all of which have been acquired to serve the outsized ambitions of one man: President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Mr. Erdogan has been in power for more than a decade, an Islamist politician and prime minister who was often touted as a role model in the Muslim world for having reconciled his faith with democracy. But these days Mr. Erdogan stands for something quite different, having essentially pulled a Putin. Like Russia’s president, Vladimir V. Putin, it does not matter which position he holds: He is his nation’s paramount leader.

Photo
82bdb5a81de90e73dd0a11531e4f4f34.jpg

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, center, at a Republic Day ceremony on Wednesday at the Ataturk Cultural Center. CreditKayhan Ozer/Presidential Palace
In Turkey, the president is technically second to the prime minister. But in practice, when Mr. Erdogan was elected president in August, he absorbed the power and privilege of the prime minister’s post into his new position. And like Mr. Putin, who also shifted between the presidency and prime minister’s office, the stronger Mr. Erdogan has grown, the tenser relations have become with the United States.

“He really has both offices, in a lot of ways,” said Steven A. Cook, a Turkey expert and fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations, referring to Mr. Erdogan.

At the beginning of the year, none of this was assured. Still reeling from the sweeping antigovernment demonstrations of the summer of 2013, Mr. Erdogan was confronted with a wide-ranging corruption scandal that targeted him and his inner circle, prompting many analysts to predict the demise of his government.

Instead, he has used his conflict with Washington and his political enemies as a force to help consolidate power, as he continues to carry out the duties associated with the prime minister. He has rallied his conservative base behind his religiously infused agenda, clashing with United States policy for confronting Islamic State militants, while also blaming foreign interference for the growing catalog of crises he faces. As Turkey’s challenges have magnified — fighting on its border with Syria, strained relations with its NATO allies, pressure on the economy — Mr. Erdogan’s authority has grown only stronger.

In a recent speech, Mr. Erdogan offered an assessment appealing to his religious Sunni Muslim base — and echoed by militants with the Islamic State — that the Middle East crisis stems from the actions of the British and French after World War I, and the borders drawn between Iraq and Syria under the Sykes-Picot pact. Mr. Erdogan invoked Sykes-Picot saying, “each conflict in this region has been designed a century ago.” He suggested a new plot was underway, and that “journalists, religious men, writers and terrorists” were the collective reincarnation of T.E. Lawrence, the British diplomat and spy immortalized in the movie “Lawrence of Arabia.”

Continue reading the main story
“It is our duty to explain to the world that there are modern Lawrences who were fooled by a terror organization,” he said, without saying exactly whom he was talking about.

Ahmet Davutoglu, the former foreign minister, is Turkey’s prime minister. But Mr. Erdogan is the one on the phone with President Obama discussing Turkey’s role in combating the Islamic State while the White House has to remind American diplomats to also include Mr. Davutoglu in discussions between the two countries.

Turkey’s continued refusal to allow the United States to use its bases for airstrikes against the Islamic State’s forces in Syria and Iraq — and insistence that the coalition target the government of President Bashar al-Assad of Syria — has laid bare deep divisions between the two countries that have prompted analysts to question Turkey’s reliability as an ally, and some have even suggested that Turkey be expelled from NATO.

The relationship with Washington has long been uneasy. In 2003, Turkey denied the United States the use of its territory to invade Iraq. In 2010, the Turks infuriated Washington by voting against United Nations sanctions on Iran for its nuclear program, and by working with Brazil to broker a proposed deal with Iran.

Early in his career, as mayor of Istanbul, Mr. Erdogan was jailed for reciting an Islamic poem in public. In his early years as prime minister, with the Turkish military still safeguarding the country’s secular order, he kept in check his desire for a greater role for religion in public life, while pushing for membership in the European Union, a pursuit that is now stalled.

In more recent years, with the military having been neutered through a series of sensational trials, he has become a more overtly Islamist leader. In the wake of the Arab Spring uprisings, Turkey sought to play a greater role in shaping regional affairs, supporting Islamist movements, such as the Muslim Brotherhood, which was voted into power in Egypt, and then ousted, dealing a painful blow to Turkey’s ambitions.

Mr. Erdogan has partly consolidated his power by purging thousands of police officers, prosecutors and judges who he believed were behind the corruption probe. He accused those people of being followers of the Muslim preacher Fethullah Gulen, who lives in self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania and who once was an important ally to Mr. Erdogan. His victory over Mr. Gulen in the power struggle that ensued has largely erased a moderate, Western-leaning Islamic voice from the Turkish governing elite, even as many experts say that Mr. Gulen’s followers had taken on an unhealthy influence in the police and judiciary.

“For Tayyip Erdogan, like the Muslim Brotherhood and Muslim movements everywhere, the problems of the Muslim world are because of the West,” said Rusen Cakir, a scholar of Islamist movements who lives in Istanbul.

For Mr. Gulen, he said, “the problems for the Muslim world are because of Muslims themselves.”

The compound has nearly 1,000 rooms, an underground tunnel system and the latest in anti-espionage technology.
The new palace, originally intended for the prime minister until Mr. Erdogan was elected president and decided he would move in, has become a potent symbol for his many critics. The construction, still continuing in a forest that is protected land, has occurred despite rulings by several courts that the development was illegal.

while middle eastern countries are westernization. turkey are midle easternization:lol:

Unnecessary and should not have been done IMHO. But then Erdogan is a visionary statesmen and he would be gone after 2 terms. But such palaces may very well be suited for leaders like Erdogan and future leaders of a rising turkey set to dominate the ME and Mediterranean.

I'm sure the his supporters will be able to crash there every once in a while.

Is that the best landscaping $350 million can buy?

Last edited:
He thinks he is equal to Saudi King.
If he thinks that he is a king with $350 M palace, Bouteflika must think that he is a deity with a mosque of $2B, I think he will make an entrance that will rattle satan...:stop:

If he thinks that he is a king with $350 M palace, Bouteflika must think that he is a deity with a mosque of $2B, I think he will make an entrance that will rattle satan...:stop:

The palace is not Erdoğan's property, it will be serve as presidential house of following presidents of Turkey. That multi-million $ amount is not only for land and the construction & gardening. This complex fitted out with the latest technologies against spying and any kind of assault...The walls are isolated with special materials which is blocking spying tools ... Ultra-High protection against chemical, bio, radioactive attacks, balistic weapons and bombs... I hope it will serve to our nation well.

I can understand how you jeaolus that kekos will never ever have a country and a presidential house like this... Poor kekos

Pretty sad if he did that. Don't they have plenty of Ottoman Palaces lying around?

Ottoman palaces are under protection and used as museums with everything inside of them, why to ruin our heritage by using it...

I can understand how you jealous that kekos will never ever have a country and a presidential house like this... Poor kekos
I don't know what Kekos means, if it is the Kurds you referring to, I think that you need to wake up to reality, before all said and done, they will have a state. The marking are on the wall..By the way I am not a Kurd, I sympathise with their fight against ISIS, I am in awe with their courage and the courage and the beauty of their women. That's remind me of us! that's remind me of our our women!
If you talk about the Palace, nobody is really jealous or give a flying fu---ck where Erdogan lives. I wonder how the Kemalists feel about the farm of their mentor transformed as the setting of a grandiose palace for a radical MB!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom