bananarepublic

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The stolen childhoods of Kashmir in pencil and crayon
By Soutik BiswasBBC News, Srinagar
  • 29 May 2017
_95897103_mediaitem95897097.jpg

These are pictures of loss of childhood and innocence. They speak about a violent world outside shuttered homes. They reveal the terrors of the present and the fears for the future.

The colours are vivid. Red dominates, in blood and fire. Black is an ascendant colour, clouding the skies and scorching the earth. It's not dark yet, but it's getting there.

The artwork is by schoolchildren in Indian-administered Kashmir, home to one of the world's most protracted conflicts. These days, they mostly depict childhoods ruined by the violence of adults.

The meadows, streams, orchards and mountains that make their home "heaven on earth", as a Mughal emperor once exulted, is missing in much of their work. Stone-throwing protesters, gun-toting troops, burning schools, rubble-littered streets, gunfights and killings are some of the anxious, recurring themes on the canvas.

Last summer was one of the bloodiest in the region for years. Following the killing of influential militant Burhan Wani by Indian forces in July, more than 100 civilians died in clashes with security forces during a four-month-long lockdown in the Muslim dominated-valley.

Security forces fired metal pellets from shotguns into protesting crowds, leaving many blinded. More than 1,200 children below the age of 15 were among some 9,000 people injured in the protests. Most of them, according to reports, were "young, [and] were either blinded completely or lost their vision in one eye".

As violence spread on the street, schools shut. Children stayed indoors for months, drowning in the noise of TV news. At other times, they read and drew. They missed their friends and cricket games. Teachers gave lessons at home, and parents invigilated during home exams. One school even held an exam in a small indoor stadium.

p0542lk1.jpg

Media caption"I would hide in a corner of my house' (Video production: Shalu Yadav and Neha Sharma)
_96169089_mediaitem96169088.jpg

_96169094_mediaitem96169093.jpg

_96169092_mediaitem96169091.jpg

When the schools reopened in the winter, teachers found many of the students irate, nervous and uncertain. They were children of government workers, businessmen, doctors, engineers, bankers and farmers.

They came looking "pale, like zombies", the principal of a leading school told me.

They cried and hugged each other. Having spent months cooped up in their homes in near-captivity, they asked their teachers why they had closed the school. Some of them behaved strangely. They screamed without any reason, banged the tables and broke furniture. Counsellors were called in to calm them down.

"There was anger, a lot of anger," the principal said.

Then, some 300 of them went to a school hall and sat down with paper and pastels. And they drew furiously.

"That's all they did on the first day. They drew what they wanted. They didn't utter a word. It was all very cathartic."

'I cannot see the world again'
The children drew mostly in pastel and pencil. Many wrote over their pictures, using speech bubbles, headlines and sentences.

In many of their pictures, the valley is on fire, and streets are littered with the black detritus of rioting against an incongruent backdrop of a blazing sun and birds in the skies.

Then there are young faces scarred and eyes blinded by pellets. It is a recurring, heart-wrenching theme.

"I cannot see the world again and cannot see my friends again. I am blind," says the subject of one such haunting image.

Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies, as a poet wrote, but in Kashmir, children have lived in the shadow of death for as long as one can remember. There are bodies lying on the street, and there are people on fire in the paintings.

"These are the mountains of Kashmir. And here's a school for kids. On the left are army men and opposite them are stone-throwing protesters who are demanding freedom," said a schoolboy in Anantnag, explaining his drawing.

_95897174_mediaitem95897173.jpg

_95897248_mediaitem95897247.jpg

_95897310_mediaitem95897251.jpg

"When protesters throw stones at the army, the army opens fire at them. In the crossfire, a school kid dies and his friend is left alone."

The other recurring theme - and nightmare - is the burning down of schools. There's a powerful picture of children trapped in a school on fire, screaming, "help us, help us. Save our school, save us, save our future".

Others are angrier and more political.

There are drawings with pro-freedom graffiti, and signposts which say Save our Kashmir in pastels. Others extol Burhan Wani, and resonate with anti-India slogans. There are maps of Kashmir oozing red.

In another village in southern Kashmir, a prominent artist found children drawing Indian flags fluttering on top of their houses.

Rival neighbours
A scowling face of a man split into two is a metaphor for the bitter and festering rivalry between India and Pakistan, and the tragedy of a land sandwiched between the rival neighbours.

There's a heart-breaking pencil drawing of a mother waiting for her son. The children also vent their frustration over the shutdown of internet and mobile phone services during the protests.

Five years ago, Australian art therapist Dena Lawrence conducted some art lessons with young people in the valley. She found black was the predominant colour in their paintings, and most of them reflected "anger, rage and depression".

Kashmiri artist Masood Hussain, who has been judging art competitions for children aged four to 16 for the past four decades, says their subjects have changed.

"They have gone from the serene to the violent," he tells me. "They draw red skies, red mountains, lakes, flowers and houses on fire. They draw guns and tanks, fire-fights and people dying on the street."

Arshad Husain, a Srinagar-based psychiatrist, says the artwork of the children in the valley betrays their collective trauma.

_95897143_mediaitem95897142.jpg

_96169257_mediaitem96169256.jpg

"We think children are too young to understand. That's not true. They absorb and assimilate everything around them. They express it in their own way," he says.

"Mind you, most of this artwork is coming from children who stayed at home. Imagine the children on the streets who are closer to the violence."

It is all reminiscent of children's art inspired by 9/11: weeping children, the twin towers on fire and being yanked off the ground by Osama Bin Laden against a blood-red skyline, a scarred girl wearing an I Love New York T-shirt.

_95897254_mediaitem95897253.jpg

In Kashmir, where fairy tales quickly turn into nightmares, hope is not extinguished yet.

Let our future be bright, make us educated, don't make this crisis a reason for darkness, pleads a girl in a drawing. It's never too late.

Illustrations gathered from children in Indian-administered Kashmir

When Mumbai attacks took place in 2008 ...
I was a small child...

When I saw gruesome pictures on YouTube and media websites... like this
35833306.jpg

Down below in comments sections, I read comments certain peculiar sounding names like...
" Yes mujahids kill these Hindus... etc"
" This is Fight between believers and non-believers etc... "

Then I learnt that those comments belong to neighboring nation Pakistan,

it is upon our shoulders to fight for my nation India. I can't let the sacrifice of my ancestors the children who died in terrorism go to waste... We support Indian army ...

This is Indian jihad, "Indian zarb ae abz"....

Last edited:
I was a small child...

35833306.jpg

Down below in comments sections, I read comments certain peculiar sounding names like...

it is upon our shoulders to fight for my nation India. I can't let the sacrifice of my ancestors the children who died in terrorism go to waste... We support Indian army ...

but remember you are fighting the same people you call citizens of India whether they like it or not
did you watch the video on how children are being killed and on how others are forced to only watch them die if you call this your pride to fight for your motherland then you are a lost cause....

but remember you are fighting the same people you call citizens of India whether they like it or not
did you watch the video on how children are being killed and on how others are forced to only watch them die if you call this your pride to fight for your motherland then you are a lost cause....

Ain't you fighting with your own people in fata ? We are still restraint, we were just firing pellet guns unlike you who were bombarding your own people.name a single country where one is allowed to pelt stones on cops leave army.stop crying we are too lenient with them.if it would have been any other country they would have made countless holes in their ***.

When these kids grow up to their 70s and 80s, they will look back at life and realize what they lost their childhood for, wasn't worth it at all.

Indians are willing to die for their motherland. Kashmir is our motherland.

We aren't an occupation force lik Britain was in India. We only want to preserve what has been handed over to us by our ancestors for our posterity.

You can remove an occupation force. You can't remove an integration force.

Kashmir has been given to us by Bharat Mata and we will simply pass it on to the future generations for them to preserve.

you are not fighting any terrorist forces in the streets of Kashmir you are fighting stone pelters they dont have rifles,machine guns or rockets
they are using pelting stones and is that a justification to kill children ?

When these kids grow up to their 70s and 80s, they will look back at life and realize what they lost their childhood for, wasn't worth it at all.

Indians are willing to die for their motherland. Kashmir is our motherland.

We aren't an occupation force lik Britain was in India. We only want to preserve what has been handed over to us by our ancestors for our posterity.

You can remove an occupation force. You can't remove an integration force.

Kashmir has been given to us by Bharat Mata and we will simply pass it on to the future generations for them to preserve.

You are talking as if Kashmir is an object or a toy being gifted to one generation to another..

Ain't you fighting with your own people in fata ? We are still restraint, we were just firing pellet guns unlike you who were bombarding your own people.name a single country where one is allowed to pelt stones on cops leave army.stop crying we are too lenient with them.if it would have been any other country they would have made countless holes in their ***.

you are not fighting any terrorist forces in the streets of Kashmir you are fighting stone pelters they dont have rifles,machine guns or rockets
they are using pelting stones and is that a justification to kill children ?

There can never be a justification to kill children.

It's a lot more nuanced than that.

1. There's collateral damage.

2. Stone pelting is violence. Violence is met with a gun. Plain and simple. This is true in any part of the world including China and Pakistan, if not worse.

You are talking as if Kashmir is an object or a toy being gifted to one generation to another..

Heritage is passed, sir. Toys aren't.

There can never be a justification to kill children.

It's a lot more nuanced than that.

1. There's collateral damage.

2. Stone pelting is violence. Violence is met with a gun. Plain and simple. This is true in any part of the world including China and Pakistan, if not worse.

Heritage is passed, sir. Toys aren't.

so you people are ready to take collateral damage of your so called citizens in Kashmir and even children there but not somewhere else good point..

heritage is not just simply passed. Kashmir as a land has people in which have their heritage and if you start harassing them then what good is that heritage sooner or later that heritage is gonna die out and only violence and hatred will remain and some day your generations would be passed hatred and violence.

Young Kashmiri women will BARELY dare to go out in public in that dress.

Good pics though. This was copied from the Palestianian Digital Intifada and Pallywood. More will surely follow.

its BBC and the are children in the pictures..

so you people are ready to take collateral damage of your so called citizens in Kashmir and even children there but not somewhere else good point..

heritage is not just simply passed. Kashmir as a land has people in which have their heritage and if you start harassing them then what good is that heritage sooner or later that heritage is gonna die out and only violence and hatred will remain and some day your generations would be passed hatred and violence.

Collateral damage isn't 'taken', it's suffered. For every lost life, India suffers too. Just as India suffers for every lost life in Pakistan. After all, we have always all been Indians.

Think of it as a cost. A cost we are willing to pay to preserve our motherland.

India was there 1000 years before. India will be there 1000 years from now.

Everything else is just a minor wrinkle in the story of India.

So?

BBC did not cover Palestinians?

the are children in the pictures..
there are NO children in the pictures. Which is interesting.

The idea is taken from the Palestinian Intifadas. I have seen this before. Pretty common.

Even the Jews did this.

This is a common victimhood narrative. Portraying kids as the primary victims. Works very well.

Sorry - WORKED.

I was a small child...

35833306.jpg

What a pathetic attempt to shift the blame.

Collateral damage isn't 'taken', it's suffered. For every lost life, India suffers too. Just as India suffers for every lost life in Pakistan. After all, we have always all been Indians.

Think of it as a cost. A cost we are willing to pay to preserve our motherland.

India was there 1000 years before. India will be there 1000 years from now.

Everything else is just a minor wrinkle in the story of India.
a motherland sacrificing its children for its preservation is something new i am hearing
i thought it was the other way around
there was no India 1000 years before it is like calling Europe as one country, india at that time was a mix of small and large states.
So?

BBC did not cover Palestinians?

there are NO children in the pictures. Which is interesting.

The idea is taken from the Palestinian Intifadas. I have seen this before. Pretty common.

Even the Jews did this.

This is a common victimhood narrative. Portraying kids as the primary victims. Works very well.

Sorry - WORKED.

because they are victims because they are so called citizens of india. because their life is being affected do you know how bad the effect is because of curfews for months you lose months of school and learning. your logic is irrational and unjustified ....

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom