What's new

The Status of Pakistan's Radar Network During US raid

I have seen three mobile Giraffe radars stationed all the time on the western mountains of abbottabad , along with visual look outs...
Can anybody comment on the capabilities of giraffe radars?

Pakistan got VERA passive sensors from Czech, what was outcome, have we that sort of thing now or we have developed something like that after checking that technology and know how. Because Wikipedia shows that pakistan is one of the operator of Veera thechnology.
VERA passive sensor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If we had that how USA helicopters evaded that system.

Pakistan has MPDR 45 (with 45 km. range), MPDR 60 (with 60 km. range), MPDR 90 (with 90 km. range) (made in Germany) and mobile Giraffe radars (made in Sweden and now pakistan produce itself) both are low level radars, if something was on mobile truck and was functional in Abbottabad , it must detect US invaders.

GIRAFFE Radar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Swedish radar system)

I'm kind of surprised and disappointed in some very senior and respected members with a lot of technical know-how asking and demanding for the resignation of Chief of Army Staff, ISI and PAF.

What would their resignation do? really? they'll be replaced by other officers and do you think they'd have the will to oppose the Americans, their intrusions in terms of drones and commando strikes? be realistic guys, you are the cream of the crop here when you guys start talking this, what do we have left? I'm looking at your sir Mastan Khan.

Problem and issue here isn't individuals, rather policies. It's very tough time for our nation. Resignation by the top army and intelligence brass means officers stepping in their shoes will have to do what the current guys aren't - take on American intrusion. Is that really in the country's interest? can Pakistan even do that - accomplish that with our minimal resources?

Americans came and got their man and left our armed forces and the nation tainted in disgrace. for some it means nothing and a lot for the others. We know this ain't the end. There probably will be another American operation. They still need Haqanis and zawari. What can be Pakistan's policy, if any, to prevent something like that in future.

Like I said, for some in Pak administration the OBL operation means nothing, if thats the case then leave the current policy alone but at least let the nation know where you stand and spare us this sovereignity crap, and for the other group if this opp. shook your integrity then please take control your country and the rogue elements within but either way both groups have mercy on this nation. It's been put through enough tests - I don't think it can withstand anymore of your shenanigans.

Sir,

You completely missed my point---I didnot seek his resignation----I seeked his execution----I seek that they do the honorable thing that the Generals do---when they fail their nation---their motherland----commit SEPPUKU----THE FLAG OF MY NATION HAS BEEN STAINED BY THESE VERY CRIMINALS---like never before---it can only be cleansed by their blood----.

Swallow your .45 generals----I also sent him that message through ISPR public web-site.

Sir,

You completely missed my point---I didnot seek his resignation----I seeked his execution----I seek that they do the honorable thing that the Generals do---when they fail their nation---their motherland----commit SEPPUKU----THE FLAG OF MY NATION HAS BEEN STAINED BY THESE VERY CRIMINALS---like never before---it can only be cleansed by their blood----.

Swallow your .45 generals----I also sent him that message through ISPR public web-site.

With all due respect you are being very harsh....Terrorists have been used as assets by countries all across the world....Even US was party to it when they were fighting USSR...In the same token using terrorists as strategic assets against a bigger enemy India is not out of the book....Unfortunately 9/11 happened and the whole apparatus changed....At that stage if better sense would have prevailed they would have got rid of so called assets...anyhow at this stage there is little they can do....

Honestly from my POV if there is any time when China can help Pak in a BIG WAY then it is this....Otherwise in terms of negotiations especially in current atmosphere GOP is on back foot in a big way....A drone attack just after chopper operation is testimony to it...

My friend sent me a text message

"For sale: Pakistan radar system. Not working but capable of receiving STAR TV.

Only 99 rupees

Contact a Mr A. Kiyani if interested'

Sir,

I agree that there should be executions, starting with our President. The Civilian Government and the Military both share the blame for this fiasco, it looks like Pasha will resign and rightly so for ISI's massive intelligence failure.

Is it possible that the American forces had intel on the area radars, such as when does it turn on and for how long and other maintenance schedule? There are people on the ground on daily basis before the ops took place to scan for terrain make up, weather, the habits of the locals, and so forth that works for the CIA.

Hi,
You are absolutely correct in your concern----if the americans saw a pattern of operation---they would have taken that into consideration---.

Due to our overblown NATIONALISTIC EGOS, we think that we are a martial race that has raised a fighting force which is as capable as the legendry German Wehrmacht or the Red Army.

We are absolutely wrong. Our forces can never ever come close to the heroics of the the 2 greatest war machines ever assembled; which fought the greatest and the bloodiest military conflict in human history.

Sorry guys, the subcontinent, which was ruled by the british for 200 years, can never fight like the great European Armies of the Past.

You may not like it but the truth is that we cannot emulate the militarism and artistry of war like the Europeans.

Hi, this is an interesting article. It mentions that the PA was fully aware of the operation, and blocked off the area before the operation. If that is true, I am sure the chopper wreckage has been returned. I guess we will never really know the truth...

News | Pakistan | Osama bin Laden Dead

/**********************************************/
Pakistan army knew about operation against Osama bin Laden
Fearing a public backlash for supporting US, Pakistan has downplayed its role.

Aamir Latif
May 5, 2011 14:08

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — Pakistani officials have told GlobalPost that the Pakistani army had full knowledge of the U.S. raid that led to the death of Osama bin Laden and that it played a larger role in the operation than previously acknowledged.

The statements run counter to the public position taken by officials in both Pakistan and the United States who have so far downplayed the role Pakistan’s military and intelligence community had in the attack, saying that it was limited to a small amount of information sharing.

One senior military official, who asked not to be named because he is not permitted to speak to the press, said that Pakistani army troops were in fact providing backup support when the United States began its operations inside the compound where bin Laden had been staying, including sealing off the neighborhood where the compound was located.

Officials interviewed scoffed at the idea that Pakistan could have been unaware of the American operation.

“It’s a no-fly zone,” said a Pakistani intelligence official, referring to the area around bin Laden’s mansion and the nearby military compound. “It is impossible for U.S. helicopters to fly over there without our knowledge and permission.”

A Pakistan Air Force official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, rejected reports that U.S. special forces had jammed Pakistan’s radar system in order to circumvent the no-fly zone.

“This is totally untrue. Neither our radars were jammed nor was any scrambling of any air force plane recorded,” the official said, referring to the practice of launching aircraft in the event that the airspace has been breached. Some observers said the helicopters may have been equipped with stealth technology, but that has not been confirmed.

Residents in the area confirmed that the Pakistan army appeared to have at least some knowledge of the operation well before it began. Several residents said that two hours before the United States launched its attack, Pakistani army personnel ordered them to switch off their lights inside and outside their homes and remain indoors until further notice.

“The army personnel cordoned off the entire area long before we heard the sounds of helicopters hovering over the area,” said Zulfikar Ahmed, who lives in the Abbottabad neighborhood of Bilal Town, where bin Laden’s compound is located. Locals interviewed by the BBC and several other local and international media outlets made similar statements.

Several meetings leading up to the attack, when viewed in sum, also indicate that Pakistan might have known of the operation beforehand.

“Gen. David Petraeus paid an extraordinary visit to Islamabad on April 25,” said a senior military official said. The official said Petraeus held a one-on-one meeting with Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, Pakistan’s army chief of staff, in which they discussed the details of the operation.

The next day, Pakistan’s top military body — the Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee — held its quarterly session, which was attended by Lt. Gen. Ahmed Shuja Pasha, the country's intelligence chief, who is not a regular member of the body. Pasha had visited the United States to meet with the head of the Central Intelligence Agency, Leon Panetta, on April 11.

Analysts in Pakistan said that the Pakistani government likely wanted to hide its role in the operation to avoid a backlash from the public, which has grown increasingly impatient with the United States and the growing presence of the Central Intelligence Agency inside their country.

But now international pressure is growing on the military to answer not only for its lack of support in the raid but also for not knowing about bin Laden’s hideout, which was located close to the Pakistan Military Academy. Some in the military — which has long been one of the more respected institutions in the country — are looking to correct the record.

U.S. President Barack Obama has sought to diffuse the tension since the raid took place, calling Pakistan an important ally and highlighting the intelligence sharing between the two countries that helped lead the United States to bin Laden’s compound.

In his speech on Sunday announcing bin Laden’s death, Obama recognized Pakistan’s cooperation.

"It’s important to note that our counterterrorism cooperation with Pakistan helped lead us to bin Laden and the compound where he was hiding," the president said.

When contacted by GlobalPost about this latest information, the White House press office said all details about the operation have already been released.

White House spokesman Jay Carney on Wednesday said the United States’ relationship with Pakistan was “complicated,” but that it was important to maintain.

“The fight is not done, and we look forward to cooperating with Pakistan in the future,” he said at a White House press briefing. “As others have said, more terrorists have been killed on Pakistani soil than probably any other country. And the cooperation we’ve received from Pakistan has been very useful in that regard.”

The European Union on Thursday also came to the defense of Pakistan, calling the country an “important partner,” echoing similar statements from officials at NATO that were made on Wednesday.

Experts and analysts here in Islamabad said that the Pakistani government itself, which is concerned about appearing overly friendly with the United States and angering its citizens, is likely encouraging the United States to downplay Pakistan’s involvement in finding bin Laden and the eventual operation against him.

In fact, analysts said, the Pakistani government has long been trying to compose a storyline that it is actively working against the United States — an effort that is aimed at keeping the country’s population from rising up against the political leadership. Pakistanis have grown tired of U.S. involvement in its affairs in the last decade and ongoing drone attacks in its northern tribal belt that have killed numerous civilians.

Pakistani Foreign Minister Salman Bashir, for example, told reporters Thursday that the Pakistani military first learned about the operation when a U.S. helicopter crashed at the start of the attack.

“Pakistan’s civilian and military leadership does not want to be the center of hatred, not only within Pakistan … but also in the Arab world,” where it believes elements of the population still support bin Laden, said Najam Sethi, a political analyst in Pakistan.

But many here said this strategy could, in the end, hurt the country by making it appear more culpable than it actually is — a reality that is already beginning to take shape as the American media, and some members of Congress, asks why Pakistan hasn’t been more helpful.

In the wake of all of the criticism, some here are now calling on Pakistan’s leaders to be more forthcoming about their cooperation with the United States, especially in regard to Sunday’s raid.

“If Pakistan or U.S. officials do not publicize the cooperation between the two sides in the operation against bin Laden, Pakistan will be in serious trouble on the diplomatic front,” Sethi said.

Salim Safi, a security analyst based in Peshawar, said it seemed clear that there had been a significant amount of cooperation between the two sides — a reality that should be made public, even if Pakistani officials think it might hurt them politically in the short-term.

“The Pakistani government and the military establishment must not hide the facts from their own people,” he said. “They must come forward with the truth.”

I'm surprised that some people are defending paf for not confronting america due to their tech. edge. Seriously? Its like a guard complaining about the quality of his gun while the house is being robbed. And where did all the slogans 'God is great' disappear? After all we had a great trust in God! Whatever it may be, its more respectable to die in the line of fire than to worry about the tech edge.....

Why am I feelin thhat after india acquires some new jets, paf will even fear to confront them?

Shame on the generals and air chiefs etc for calling themselves defenders of pakistan... If talibans had anti aircraft guns, they would have better protected our airspace..

My friend sent me a text message

"For sale: Pakistan radar system. Not working but capable of receiving STAR TV.

Only 99 rupees

Contact a Mr A. Kiyani if interested'

Interesting.. Ppl r not even interested in using our radars for getting starplus... The price was earlier quoted at 999 which has now gone to 99 :(

Hi Mr. Ajpirzada, I understand your frustration with how the PA/PAF has been made to look and humiliated. However, one learns to pick their battles, and more importantly picks ones he/she can win.

Did you really want the PAF of PA to stop the US from getting rid of the world's worst terrorist? Also, what would the PAF confront superior US fighter jets with? Well lets go down the list of choices the PAF could throw against F-18 Super Hornets and F-15 Eagles, supported by JSTARS and E-3 Sentry AWACs:

(1) F-7: A souped up Chinese version of a 1960s MiG-21.
(2) Mirrage III/IV: Old 1960s/70s upgraded planes with no BVR.
(3) JF-17: No current BVR and untested.
(4) F-16s: US made planes, probably paid with US aid money, with potential locks on their AMRAAM BVRs, and probably full of trojan horses.

The PAF can do nothing against the US Air Force, the difference in the technology and money, is to vast.

Back
Top Bottom