What's new

The state that loves bullfighting but isn't Spain

Exactly. If the Spanish & Potugese can earn millions of Dollars from ritualised barbarism called Bull Fighting & promote it all over the world in their colonies, then why can't a sport with rules like you have described be promoted & made commercial to earn money & help raise awareness about an agrarian society ??
But for that to happen the farmers themselves especially the young educated class of today, would have to stand up for their millennia old traditions & defend their way of life.
But I know that wouldn't happen as the education & social structure is designed in such a way that by the time a farmers son finishes education he is completely transformed in to a mirasi wanna be. The transformation is amazing, the only honour left is the caste title to preserve a vain sense of belonging..

I don't think it's a conspiracy by anyone apart from the farming classes themselves. Farmers ought to organise themselves & defend their way of life their traditions & customs. That's only possible when the young educated generation is willing to join their forefathers trade but that's not happening. Farming is a tough physical job without much financial return compared to other fields for an educated young man hence the refusal to be part of this tradition any more coupled with the growth in population & the resultant decrease in levels of farm holding.

Post the invasion of Afghanistan by NATO, stock values have increased tremendously. Farmers although happy at the increase in prices for their stock didn't realise the potential disaster awaiting them with the Seed ( Male ) stocks vanishing, the reliance on un Natural methods has not only increased but also become an accepted Norm. Until around 2001/02 the practice of raising a Male animal of the best possible qualities as public property was common, this was done to ensure the availability of seed. The animals was free to roam around where ever it wanted to. You wouldn't see a farmer chasing it out of ones crop or farm shed unless it created trouble. I myself witnessed my grandpa raising a couple of them until they were fully grown up but now there is nothing of that sort.

In our area Untill a few years ago every morning after 9 o clock you would see herdsmen taking large herds of animals out towards pastures for grazing & then see them come back at evening in long queues with dust rising around them but now that sight is extinct along with the last generation of farmers/herders. One of my regrets in life is not to have captured that sight on camera.

Farmers have great sense of care in their personality & a respect for nature.
My Grandpa ( mothers side ) had a fairly large herd of Buffaloes & many of the qualities that I loved about him were due to his agrarian life style. With his death a whole life style has gone extinct for his descendants as he was the only one involved with Farming since the rest of his brothers had all moved over to major cities first & later Foriegn countries to become professionals.
You seem to have missed the complete point of my post. This kind of native breed bulls can not be used in farming or any domestic use until unless you make them infertile by pinching their testicles and they will never mate in their life time. If you don't do this their ferocity won't decrease, they will be like jallikattu bulls and it can't be used in agricultural and other domestic purpose. Seed bull for this native breeds exists only due to sports like jallikattu.

Last edited:
You seem to have missed the complete point of my post. This kind of native breed bulls can not be used in farming or any domestic use until unless you make them infertile by pinching their testicles and they will never mate in their life time. If you don't do this their ferocity won't decrease like jallikattu bulls and it can't be used in agricultural and other domestic purpose. Seed bull for this native breeds exists only due to sports like jallikattu.

Sorry if I didn't make sense.
My point is that these sports & traditions should be preserved to save a Millenias old culture & that farming classes all over South Asia are equally apathetic.

Your analysis makes it even more imperative to defend these traditional sports as they are not just mere sports but also a way of preserving breeds of animals that have been engineered over centuries & who play a vital part for a lot of small farmers in land cultivation.

Why don't the pseudo intellectuals & animal rights groups see that they are professing extinction of complete breeds of animals that are life savers for the poorest yet the hardest working group of their society.

Would you believe there are farms for breeds of ponies that are ugly AF to look at & have no practical value but they are being preserved to save their breeds from going extinct. The Government here pays subsidy for those farms. Back in 16&17th century the crown had ordered a cull of these breeds to enhance & engineer new breeds of farm animals. But today they are being preserved even though there is no utility for them.

Now there are a few really good breeds of Cows & Buffaloes in Punjab with great milk yield but due to a lack of proper seed cultivation they are only found in one or two specific districts.

Back
Top Bottom