What's new

The Silence of Surrender: Erdogan’s War on Independent Media

kind of reminds me the mood of pre-WWII Germany. when you put your well being before your personal rights, you kind of invite autocracy (which is already happening in turkey). and in my opinion the problem is not independence of media but non-biased media. there are independent (AKP-independent) newspapers and tv channels but they make one hell of a biased news.

Could you please tell me what the difference is?

Could you please tell me what the difference is?

i can explain by examples. say for example there is a protest attended by 500 people. now, non-biased media would report it like this: "there are 500 people protesting against AKP". biased media would report it in two ways. 1: "there are 50 people protesting and rampaging and burning neighborhood" 2: "there are 10000 people protesting AKP and there are more to come and join. also there are protests in many other cities" see the difference? biased media be it pro-akp or anti-akp, wants to use you for its own purpose. that's why i quit watching tv and newspapers more that 10 years ago.

i can explain by examples. say for example there is a protest attended by 500 people. now, non-biased media would report it like this: "there are 500 people protesting against AKP". biased media would report it in two ways. 1: "there are 50 people protesting and rampaging and burning neighborhood" 2: "there are 10000 people protesting AKP and there are more to come and join. also there are protests in many other cities" see the difference? biased media be it pro-akp or anti-akp, wants to use you for its own purpose. that's why i quit watching tv and newspapers more that 10 years ago.

My question is the difference between independent media and non-biased media. I think you either wrote it wrongly, or misunderstood me and made that post.

You are right; on the other hand , you avoid drawing the line, but i will make some quotations:

According to the international federation of journalist (IFJ), Journalism is:

The function of Media according to the UN:

http://unpan1.un.org/intradoc/groups/public/documents/un/unpan010194.pdf
These two quotations are our reference points.

Here is the list of Yandaş(pro-Akp) Media:

Can Atakan'ın blog sitesi : Türk medyası bitmiş

Here is pro-CHP media:

-Halk Tv,

yandaş medya - itü sözlük

The mainstream(Actually ''paid off'' media)

- Kanal d tv,
- CNN Turk tv,
- NTV tv,
- Hurriyet Daily,
- Radikal Daily,

I saw you skipped, Milliyet and Hürriyet newspapers.

It's most sadding that most of the senior columnist of these newspapers have been removed and replaced by weird people who doesn't deserve to be called a journalist like Pelin Batu.

It's most sadding that most of the senior columnist of these newspapers have been removed and replaced by weird people who doesn't deserve to be called a journalist like Pelin Batu.
Whats your opinion on Pelin Cift?

I saw many opposing articles about AKP in Hürriyet, but its true that they also stay quiet about some issues.

This is exactly true.

When Gezi protests begun. Mainstream news channels showed penguins and cooks.

Whereas anti-AKP small news channels like Halk TV said " Revolution has begun and it won't stop until the dictator is gone"....

It's impossible to find an unbiassed news channel for now....

Whats your opinion on Pelin Cift?

I don't know her but i like Cüneyt Özdemir.

I saw many opposing articles about AKP in Hürriyet, but its true that they also stay quiet about some issues.

There are still opposers in both newspaper but you can see the decrease in their numbers.

Like "Hasan Cemal" in Milliyet. I never liked the guy but it doesn't means that he should be silenced. This is not the way of democracy.

My question is the difference between independent media and non-biased media. I think you either wrote it wrongly, or misunderstood me and made that post.

yes, my train of thoughts was interrupted by my fiancee yelling "are you still at that stupid war forum!" Ahhahah. nevertheless, difference is independent media doesn't mean it's non-biased. you can clearly see that in foreign media making news about turkey. they are independent but that can't guarantee non-bias. or from turkey, there are numbers of independent, generally left-aligned (which doesn't mean they have any strings attached to particular party or movement) newspapers. and boy, oh boy their biased attitude can't be found in any other place in this world. in the end, if a person who decides what to write in a newspaper doesn't have en ethical approach to the matter, then independence doesn't mean a thing.

Sinan said: ↑

pelin batu really annoys me.

yes, my train of thoughts was interrupted by my fiancee yelling "are you still at that stupid war forum!" Ahhahah. nevertheless, difference is independent media doesn't mean it's non-biased. you can clearly see that in foreign media making news about turkey. they are independent but that can't guarantee non-bias. or from turkey, there are numbers of independent, generally left-aligned (which doesn't mean they have any strings attached to particular party or movement) newspapers. and boy, oh boy their biased attitude can't be found in any other place in this world. in the end, if a person who decides what to write in a newspaper doesn't have en ethical approach to the matter, then independence doesn't mean a thing.

Are you trying to confuse me? :-)

My first post here gives some basic reference points about the role of media in democracy and society.

The independent/non-biased media regards them all without any exception ; on the other hand, Nearly all media has some reference point; they judge the event in the news according to that reference point, at which point i say that the one with different reference points than the basic reference points are biased ones, whch means biased media could be independent; but Non-biased media cannot be dependent.

Are you trying to confuse me? :-)

My first post here gives some basic reference points about the role of media in democracy and society.

The independent/non-biased media regards them all without any exception ; on the other hand, Nearly all media has some reference point; they judge the event in the news according to that reference point, at which point i say that the one with different reference points than the basic reference points are biased ones, whch means biased media could be independent; but Non-biased media cannot be dependent.

yeah, i should learn to not to write when i'm speaking with my fiance. kafam karıştı iki tarafa da yetişmeye çalışırken. demek istediğim "bağımsız medya taraf tutmayan/ yandaş olmayan medya demek değildir" idi. ortalığı biraz karıştırdım sanırım. affola :)

simply naive thoughts... name one independent media organization which is broadcasting on planet earth... specially in your country, US, city boy.. read some papers

simply naive thoughts... name one independent media organization which is broadcasting on planet earth... specially in your country, US, city boy.. read some papers

RankCountryNoteDifferential
1Finland6,380 (1)
2Netherlands6,48+1 (3)
3Norway6,52-2 (1)
4Luxembourg6,68+2 (6)
151Burma44,71+18 (169)
152Gambia45,09-11 (141)
153Mexico45,30-4 (149)
154Turkey46,56-6 (148)

Press Freedom Index 2013 - Reporters Without Borders

I think 153 countries are better than us; that is the part we have to talk about, not Israel, Usa or other countries.

Back
Top Bottom