What's new

The rank of field Marshal?

That is a question only Field Marshal Ayub Khan could have answered, @niaz sahab.
BTW, who was the President/Governor General/PM/Leader of Pakistan when Ayub Khan was bestowed this honor?

Was it Liaquat Ali or Iskandar Mirza?

Liaqat Ali Khan only made Ayub Khan CINC of Pakistan Army with 4 star rank on Jan 17, 1951. Ayub Khan was still only a General when he took over as Chief Martial Law Administrator on October 7, 1958 and when he deposed Iskander Mirza as President of Pakistan on 27th October, 1958.

To the best my info, Ayub Khan promoted himself to the rank of Field Marshall toward the end of 1958 when he gave up the Army Command to General Mohammed Musa. (Confirmation by an ex PA professional of the exact date would be appreciated)

Last edited by a moderator:
@punit 1965 war is a long debate!
And yes it is a common fact that pakistan was best in Ayub era! Even the critics of Ayub khan know that! Arguing will be childish!
Politics & Policy

@punit 1965 war is a long debate!
And yes it is a common fact that pakistan was best in Ayub era! Even the critics of Ayub khan know that! Arguing will be childish!
Politics & Policy

imo he gave himself Field marshal title before 65 war! Infact 65 war only led to Ayub's downfall.

and what exactly u won in 65 war. ;)

do u even know what r u talking about!

it will be more nice to prove him wrong rather than trolling and ruining form....
well i don't know about Pak economy bt we got unity and a reason for self reliance...
we got tru friends and figured out who are not our friends...
we got all objectives set before war by us.....

Field Marshal is an honorary rank. It's given to rarest of rare Generals for extraordinary military service.

In India, it is given on extraordinary military service such as to Field Marshal Sam HFJ Manekshaw by the government.

In Pakistan the trend is rather different. The General overthrows the govt. and awards himself the Field Marshal rank.

You are being a Jack @$$ ...

A Field marshal is any one who has led a whole full army through a war.

Thus the only field marshal in Pak Army is FM Ayub Khan for his service in 65 war.

@punit u are right 1965 war led to Ayub's downfall just like
world war 2 led to churchill's downfall- he didnt get elected!

Liaqat Ali Khan only made Ayub Khan CINC of Pakistan Army with 4 star rank on Jan 17, 1951. Ayub Khan was still only a General when he took over as Chief Martial Law Administrator on October 7, 1958 and when he deposed Iskander Mirza as President of Pakistan on 27th October, 1958.

To the best my info, Ayub Khan promoted himself to the rank of Field Marshall toward the end of 1958 when he gave up the Army Command to General Mohammed Musa. (Confirmation by an ex PA professional of the exact date would be appreciated)

Thank you Sir.
So Ayub Khan was a self-appointed Field Marshal.
Even Idi Amin Dada of Uganda was appointed Field Marshal (by himself of course). His leap was more astronomical- from Sergeant to Field Marshal.

field marshal is commander and chief of more than one army as india and us are large countries they have armies divided into 5 units north east west south and central.(or the us does not sure for india) anyhow at the time of ayub khan the army was divded into 2 units one west army(modern pakistan) and east army(modern bangladesh) as ayub khan took control of both armies he appointed

further more it can not be appointed now as a 5 star rank is reserved for WAR TIME only and when there are more than 1 army groups.

i think a chief of miltia(army, air force , special forces and navy) might obtain 5 star rank

President awards the 5-star rank Ayub khan was the president so it is justified!
When a 4 star general wins a war 5stars are awarded We won 1965 so indians stop your focking trolling!

actally ayub's promotion was recommended by iskandar mirza to placate ayub but ayub still overthrew his govt in 1958.

Who can be called Field Marshal... I googled it but I can't get the appropriate answer.. I just know that it is the highest military rank of the Pakistan Army .. But I didn't know that to whom it is given.. It is only given to Muhammad Ayub Khan in Pakistan Army.. Can anyone please tell me that Why it is given to Ayub Khan... And why it is given to all the other field marshals in the world.!

Regards,
Aizaz Khan

It is largely a ceremonial rank and exists in all of the arms of the military e.g. Marshal of the Air, Admiral of the Fleet for the air force and navy respectively, it is given in times of war to persons of highest rank of general for their important or courageous input or feats.

Usually, it has been given to war-heros but the examples are sparse.

Lastly, Ayub became Field Marshal largely because at the time the power to appoint the rank rested with him and he promoted another general, Moosa Khan, if I'm not mistaken to head the army.

Back
Top Bottom