What's new

The rank of field Marshal?

field marshal is the highest rank in army, a 5 star general is called field marshal.
It is given to a general for his extraordinary performance in field of war, Ayub Khan awarded himself field marshal for winning 1965 war against india.

Liaqat Ali Khan only made Ayub Khan CINC of Pakistan Army with 4 star rank on Jan 17, 1951. Ayub Khan was still only a General when he took over as Chief Martial Law Administrator on October 7, 1958 and when he deposed Iskander Mirza as President of Pakistan on 27th October, 1958.

To the best my info, Ayub Khan promoted himself to the rank of Field Marshall toward the end of 1958 when he gave up the Army Command to General Mohammed Musa. (Confirmation by an ex PA professional of the exact date would be appreciated)

Field Marshall is a rank given to army commanders who invade enemy territory n expand borders. In 1965 we fought n won the war defending our country n also managed to capture enemy territory, so this field marshall rank is justified for Ayub Khan.
@Aizaz Khan

i hope this clears now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who can be called Field Marshal... I googled it but I can't get the appropriate answer.. I just know that it is the highest military rank of the Pakistan Army .. But I didn't know that to whom it is given.. It is only given to Muhammad Ayub Khan in Pakistan Army.. Can anyone please tell me that Why it is given to Ayub Khan... And why it is given to all the other field marshals in the world.!

Regards,
Aizaz Khan

If there is a war and an army general(COAS) is also the president of your country, he automatically becomes a field marshal.
You may think that why was Musharraf not a field marshal, well, that's because Kargill was not a declared war but a conflict.

If there is a war and an army general(COAS) is also the president of your country, he automatically becomes a field marshal.
You may think that why was Musharraf not a field marshal, well, that's because Kargill was not a declared war but a conflict.

What?

just wait few more days
Capture.JPG

What ? You are already a Field Marshal...:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Well congratulation, You just brought back up a 30 months old thread!! :nana: :yay::yahoo:
:lol:
Bahi date to chekc kr lea krain post krnay sa pahly

AND, what you said is not right either. Different countries have different criteria, what you said is not a criteria even in Pakistan. I assume that it was General Ayub Khan's promotion to Field Marshal that made you say that but he appointed HIMSELF as a field marshal, he was the president and COAS at that time but that was not the reason for the new rank nor the justification.

You can take a look at the Field marshal in India, he was not a president at that time. Different countries have different criteria and it is an extremely rare promotion.

A Field Marshal is general who has two or more geographically separated armies under is command and it has nothing to do with winning or losing a war.
Now coming to Ayub Khan it had nothing to do with 65' war but i have heard that he was made Honorary Field Marshal of Pakistani and Turkish Armed forces although i couldn't verify this story if any senior member has any relevant info please share.

A Field Marshal is general who has two or more geographically separated armies under is command and it has nothing to do with winning or losing a war.
Now coming to Ayub Khan it had nothing to do with 65' war but i have heard that he was made Honorary Field Marshal of Pakistani and Turkish Armed forces although i couldn't verify this story if any senior member has any relevant info please share.
Again, this is not an absolute rule, DIFFERENT MILITARIES HAVE DIFFERENT SET OF CRITERIA. :)

Field Marshall is a rank given to army commanders who invade enemy territory n expand borders. In 1965 we fought n won the war defending our country n also managed to capture enemy territory, so this field marshall rank is justified for Ayub Khan.
@Aizaz Khan

i hope this clears now.

:omghaha:

Back
Top Bottom