What's new

The rank of field Marshal?

Aizaz Khan

New Recruit

Reaction score
Who can be called Field Marshal... I googled it but I can't get the appropriate answer.. I just know that it is the highest military rank of the Pakistan Army .. But I didn't know that to whom it is given.. It is only given to Muhammad Ayub Khan in Pakistan Army.. Can anyone please tell me that Why it is given to Ayub Khan... And why it is given to all the other field marshals in the world.!

Regards,
Aizaz Khan

Field Marshal is an honorary rank. It's given to rarest of rare Generals for extraordinary military service.

In India, it is given on extraordinary military service such as to Field Marshal Sam HFJ Manekshaw by the government.

In Pakistan the trend is rather different. The General overthrows the govt. and awards himself the Field Marshal rank.

Field Marshal is an honorary rank. It's given to rarest of rare Generals for extraordinary military service.

In India, it is given on extraordinary military service such as to Field Marshal Sam HFJ Manekshaw by the government.

In Pakistan the trend is rather different. The General overthrows the govt. and awards himself the Field Marshal rank.

Why this rank is given to Sam Manekshaw... and Ayub Khan .. tell me in a little bit detail..

Why this rank is given to Sam Manekshaw... and Ayub Khan .. tell me in a little bit detail..

I already told you mate.

Manekshaw was awarded the rank for his extraordinary performance in 1971 war and defeat of Pakistan and formation of Bangladesh.

Ayub Khan threw over the government and awarded himself the rank.

I already told you mate.

Manekshaw was awarded the rank for his extraordinary performance in 1971 war and defeat of Pakistan and formation of Bangladesh.

Ayub Khan threw over the government and awarded himself the rank.

Thanks Mate.. Try to help me on my other posts..!

^^ Manekshaw was made field marshal due to his excellent work in 1971

as for Ayub Khan

Muhammad Ayub Khan (Urdu: محمد ایوب خان; 14 May 1907 – 19 April 1974; NPk, HPk, HJ, psc), was the second President of Pakistan and first military dictator from 1958 until 1969.[1] Prior to that, he was a five-star general, also self-appointed field marshal[2] in the Pakistan Army, and the first Chief Martial Law Administrator, a post of which he was appointed by President Iskander Mirza in 1958 until 1966.[3]

In Tunisia We don't Use It because it's WW2 rank
and the highest rank is general
18lieutenantgeneral.gif

look at it guy it is so beautiful the shield and the 3 silver stars and the 2 swords
http://www.defence.pk/forums/military-photos-multimedia/183187-tunisian-army-ranks.html

Historically the term Marshal is derived from the Norman/ French term marescalc basically meaning Master of Horse. Probably because Norman Army primarily consisted of mounted knights and the Marshal was responsible for the horse soldiers (hence the verb marshalling the troops meaning making ready for action). With time, the terrm Marshal in various form referred to the commander of the land forces; never the naval forces. Understand first Marshal of France was appointed in the early 13th century.

Apparently the very respected and senior most military commanders were awarded a ‘baton’ and titled as Marshals. Typically a Marshal, Filed Marshal/ Field Marshal General (German) is commander of an Army or an Army Group.

With the advent of separate air arm, United Kingdom created Marshal of the Air force. Here the term Marshal clearly means a ‘Commander or General’. For example Air Marshal is equivalent of a full General and Marshal of the Air force equivalent o Field Marshal or Marshal.

It is difficult to say who is entitled to be a Marshal or Field Marshal. For example Napoleon created 18 Marshals rewarding his most able commanders whereas only 2 and later 4 existed at a time before the revolution. Hitler created von Paulus; commander at Stalingrad; Field Marshal because since no German Field Marshal had ever surrendered, Hitler expected Paulus to die fighting or kill himself.

In some countries even a higher rank such as Generalissimo or Marshal General exists. Hitler promoted Herman Goering as ‘Reichsmarschall’, a rank just below Hitler himself and meaning Commander of the nation.

In the Soviet Union, in addition to the truly great military commanders such as Zhukov, Konev & Rokossovsky etc., a political Commissar Nikolai Bulganin as well as Stalin himself were holders of the title ‘Marshal of the Soviet Union’.

It boils down to rewarding the military commanders. Mostly it is on merit, but some have awarded it to themselves (Ayub Khan).

President awards the 5-star rank Ayub khan was the president so it is justified!
When a 4 star general wins a war 5stars are awarded We won 1965 so indians stop your focking trolling!

in mordern armies (post ww1) the rank of Field Marshal like other ranks depends on the size of command. brigadier commands a brigade. major general commands a division. Lt general commands a corps. general commands an army. field marshal usually commands an army group or a collection of army groups. pakistan does not have more than 1 army in its formation hierarchy. therefore there is no need of this rank.

in mordern armies (post ww1) the rank of Field Marshal like other ranks depends on the size of command. brigadier commands a brigade. major general commands a division. Lt general commands a corps. general commands an army. field marshal usually commands an army group or a collection of army groups. pakistan does not have more than 1 army in its formation hierarchy. therefore there is no need of this rank.

Field Marshall does not necessarily command an Army group. Rommel forces in North Africa rarely amounted to more than a couple Corps, yet he was elevated to Field Marshal. Von Paulus at Stalingrad was also awarded Field Marshall’s baton when all he had was the 6th Army.

Auchinleck was promoted to Field Marshal as CINC of the British Indian army. Lord Archibald Wavell was also awarded the Field Marshall’s baton on Jan 1, 1943, while he was CINC of the British Indian Army.

IMO award of the 5th star & the rank of Field Marshall is a reward for the distinguished services on the battlefield more than anything else; recent example being Sam Manekshaw of the Indian Army for winning 1971 war.

What service did Ayub Khan render to the Pakistani nation is any one’s guess?

Field Marshall does not necessarily command an Army group. Rommel forces in North Africa rarely amounted to more than a couple Corps, yet he was elevated to Field Marshal. Von Paulus at Stalingrad was also awarded Field Marshall’s baton when all he had was the 6th Army.

Auchinleck was promoted to Field Marshal as CINC of the British Indian army. Lord Archibald Wavell was also awarded the Field Marshall’s baton on Jan 1, 1943, while he was CINC of the British Indian Army.

IMO award of the 5th star & the rank of Field Marshall is a reward for the distinguished services on the battlefield more than anything else; recent example being Sam Manekshaw of the Indian Army for winning 1971 war.

What service did Ayub Khan render to the Pakistani nation is any one’s guess?

That is a question only Field Marshal Ayub Khan could have answered, @niaz sahab.
BTW, who was the President/Governor General/PM/Leader of Pakistan when Ayub Khan was bestowed this honor?

Was it Liaquat Ali or Iskandar Mirza?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom