What's new

The new details of Iranian Trimaran Frigate, “Safineh”

The Ronin

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
EQcTgRnX0AIAwjg

The new graphic rendering of Iranian trimaran warship “Safineh” published by Iranian http://www.military.ir/ web page. The ship was first unveiled on Nov 30, 2019, at Iran Navy Exhibition.

It is reported that the ship has a displacement of 2200 to 3,000 tons and a speed of 40+ knots. It will be equipped with 8 horizontal launchers and a 96-unit vertical launcher system, 4x 30 mm close defense systems, and a 76 mm Fadjr 27 main gun. The Safineh-class will be also equipped with Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) Radar.

According to the image, the ship will carry Standard 2, Sayad Series, Bavar 373 Air Defense Missiles, Yakhont and Noor Anti-ship Missiles and Mobin, Soumar and Ya Ali Cruise missiles.

The ship will carry 2 helicopters and/or SEDJIL UCAV and Pelikan VTOL UAV.

Source: http://www.military.ir/?p=1382

https://navalnews.net/the-new-detai...ZZ5wwmqNAWaA1zeLlNPqHKyox09vU6BRgeqv9NA3bFGFQ

Agreed, the 3,000 ton displacement number really has many confused. It should be upwards of 6,000-7,000 tons given all the capabilities it supposedly will posses.
You need to remember this ship will be an addition to IRIN existing fleet which are mostly brown water fleet. This ship is not supposed to get very far from the shore and thus doesn't need the same storage, fuel storage or reserve ammunition of a blue navy ship with similar fire power. Because of that, 3000 ton displacement with 96 UVLS might work.

2200 to 3000 tons displacement, helicopter, 96 vls, 8 horizontal, 40+ knots speed lolzz i call BS.

EQcTgRnX0AIAwjg

The new graphic rendering of Iranian trimaran warship “Safineh” published by Iranian http://www.military.ir/ web page. The ship was first unveiled on Nov 30, 2019, at Iran Navy Exhibition.

It is reported that the ship has a displacement of 2200 to 3,000 tons and a speed of 40+ knots. It will be equipped with 8 horizontal launchers and a 96-unit vertical launcher system, 4x 30 mm close defense systems, and a 76 mm Fadjr 27 main gun. The Safineh-class will be also equipped with Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) Radar.

According to the image, the ship will carry Standard 2, Sayad Series, Bavar 373 Air Defense Missiles, Yakhont and Noor Anti-ship Missiles and Mobin, Soumar and Ya Ali Cruise missiles.

The ship will carry 2 helicopters and/or SEDJIL UCAV and Pelikan VTOL UAV.

Source: http://www.military.ir/?p=1382

https://navalnews.net/the-new-detai...ZZ5wwmqNAWaA1zeLlNPqHKyox09vU6BRgeqv9NA3bFGFQ

Question:
But had Iran received Standard 2 Ad missiles?
Or is it an Iranian version and should therefore be identified with another name and acronym?
Thank you

Iranians couldn't afford a whole frigate due to sanctions so they built half a one.

Explain to me how a 3000 ton Trimaran is "half a one".

2200 to 3000 tons displacement, helicopter, 96 vls, 8 horizontal, 40+ knots speed lolzz i call BS.

Of course, I take it this is from your vast experience in ship building industry? Share your knowledge with us please.

I have noticed a theme with your comments, you always make the same, unsubstantiated petty, trollesque comments when it comes to Iran. It is getting rather boring. I wonder what Iran did to hurt your feelings so much.

Kind looks like American LCS. Considering it is almost the same tonage as well so talk of it having 96 VLS is pure BS. At max it will have 16 or 32 VLS config.

Kind looks like American LCS. Considering it is almost the same tonage as well so talk of it having 96 VLS is pure BS. At max it will have 16 or 32 VLS config.

This is a rather strange logic. Basically "American LCS has x VLS, So Iranian one must have that too".
This is not how this works. There is zero reason why this Trimaran cannot have 96 VLS if that is what they designed it to carry. Do you have an actual engineering related reason why it cannot have 96?

This is a rather strange logic. Basically "American LCS has x VLS, So Iranian one must have that too".
This is not how this works. There is zero reason why this Trimaran cannot have 96 VLS if that is what they designed it to carry. Do you have an actual engineering related reason why it cannot have 96?

Just look at how that ship is designed. Hull simply does not allow for so many VLS systems especially if its 3000 tonage frigate. First of all this design can only be achieved if Iran has achieved same technological milestones as US. How many ships have you seen with 96 VLS in same tonnage range.

Question:
But had Iran received Standard 2 Ad missiles?
Or is it an Iranian version and should therefore be identified with another name and acronym?
Thank you
Iran received first generation of RIM-66 during shah era.

Just look at how that ship is designed. Hull simply does not allow for so many VLS systems especially if its 3000 tonage frigate. First of all this design can only be achieved if Iran has achieved same technological milestones as US. How many ships have you seen with 96 VLS in same tonnage range.

I don't see anything in that design suggesting it cannot carry 96 VLS when it clearly is showing to carry 96 VLS i.e it is designed to carry 96 VLS whilst the US LCS is not. This does not mean the US cannot build a ship to carry that many VLS. If they want to, they can. So your reasoning is not sufficient. Saying "Hull simply does not allow for so many VLS" makes no sense given you can see the final design is carrying that many. So what is your claim based on exactly?

I am still waiting for you to explain to me using actual engineering reasonings why that design above is not feasible. So far you have only made claims.

That picture is most definitely just a rendering made by someone in miitary.ir so do not take what they added on it seriously. The only official thing on it is the actual ship itself, the claims you see above for weapons etc were added by whomever made that picture.

Back
Top Bottom