What's new

The Muslim World I used to know

American Eagle

MILITARY PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
United States
The Muslim world I used to know as a young, then later senior USAF reserve officer with HQ US Special Operations Command out of Tampa, Florida, is a day vs. night comparison.

While I was an active duty First Lieutenant in Pakistan as Commander, Det. 2, 6937th Communications Group, in direct support of my higher headquarters, the 6937th Communications Group in Peshawar, I retired as a Colonel (06) from the USAF Reserve.

Since I have been "demoted here" perhaps due to lack of participation recently, I will refrain from my wide ranging experienced based comments as the thoughts of a mere 74 year old "Lieutenant" are not worthy of your time.

Happy 2014 and a more peaceful world to you all. We need more secular thinking but events in the broader Muslim world seem today driven by small zealot factions of religious terrorists bent to de-democratizing nations.

Last edited:
The Muslim world I used to know as a young, then later senior USAF reserve officer with HQ US Special Operations Command out of Tampa, Florida, is a day vs. night comparison.

While I was a First Lieutenant in Pakistan as Commander, Det. 2, 6937th Communicaitons Group, in direct support of my higher headquarters, the 6937th Communications Group in Peshawar, as late as January, 2013 I was treated as a Colonel on his site.

Since I have been "demoted here" perhaps due to lack of participation recenlty, I will refrain from my wide ranging expienced based comments as the thoughts of a mere 74 year old Lieutenant are not worthy of your time.

I am a retired Colonel, USAF, age 74 to focus my ancient depth of experiences.
I don't know who you are.....I've never seen you post here.....but your demotion was because of the rearrangement of the forum(everyone got demoted).....but since you are a professional please share your experiences!We will benefited and thankful to you!

While I was an active duty First Lieutenant in Pakistan as Commander, Det. 2, 6937th Communications Group, in direct support of my higher headquarters, the 6937th Communications Group in Peshawar, I retired as a Colonel (06) from the USAF Reserve.

Since I have been "demoted here" perhaps due to lack of participation recently, I will refrain from my wide ranging experienced based comments as the thoughts of a mere 74 year old "Lieutenant" are not worthy of your time.

Happy 2014 and a more peaceful world to you all. We need more secular thinking but events in the broader Muslim world seem today driven by small zealot factions of religious terrorists bent to de-democratizing nations.
No Sir you did not get demoted,
The forum software got upgraded, I.e. So Rank criteria (number of posts) Got changed.
you are Part of the esteemed Military Professional User group.
Your Participation will always be Apreciated.

you have 'professional' tag, thats the real rank. The one below is based on number of posts and has no real meaning.

But yeah, am general and you are just a lieutenant... :p:

You were promoted , mate :D

All the Professionals have been named as Professionals , you see ?

The ranks of " General " , " Lieutetenant " , " Major " , " Lt.Colonel " etc etc are for other people .

The color that you hold is your true prestige. The military ranks are based on number of posts and are generally eye candy.
After all, there are "generals" here whose entire post history consists of lewd pictures of women. They are neither respected for it nor acclaimed for it.. but the military ranks serve as some solace to their crocodile tears of not getting enough attention.

The coloured designation. Professionals, Moderators, Think tanks designate true capability and respect. As a professional you are entitled to a lot more perks in terms of rating posts and your own posts are given much greater importance by the forum administration as compared to any of these generals, Lt or majors.

@American Eagle

Sir you have not been 'demoted'!

We've switched to a different software platform, which is why it feels a bit weird. :D

We have 'always' valued your input, and hope to have you educate us more frequently.

@American Eagle

Sir you have not been 'demoted'!

We've switched to a different software platform, which is why it feels a bit weird. :D

We have 'always' valued your input, and hope to have you educate us more frequently.

Your contributions are always welcome, but the "Demotion" has to do with the new post count per rank and not any other factor. I too became a Brigadier when I was a General a few months back. Please don't feel let down, your experience and contribution is invaluable to this forum.

I am glad to hear from you all.

Thanks for the feedback. So I am a Lt. Colonel here vs. a pension drawing full Colonel (06) in real life.

And, I am a professional, which is a kindness as I have fought the war against terrorism ever since 911 mainly via Internet writing on my part.

So be it.

For those of you not familiar with the US Cemetery at Normandy in France my photo logo is of the ceiling ceramic artistry in the cemetery's small chapel which is immediately next to the humble grave site of General George Patton.

More later.

Last edited:

Happy 2014 to you as well,.

Yes Pakistan has changed for the worse. This is for sure.

Islamism and marxism has got us between a rock and a hard place,.

But do share your memories (unclassified ones off course).

During one of my visits to US, I did meat a retired Naval officer who worked with Pakistani Navy officer for P-3 training flights. he had lots of stories about living in Karachi and traveling to the rest of Pakistan.

Last edited:
I have a few Pakistani civilian friends living in the Karachi area today, in 2014. I still hear regularly from these few.

I used to get, primarily in response to hundreds of letters printed in the Peshawar FRONTIER POST dozens of different civilian as well as academic (college teachers/professors and such) e-mails from all over Pakistan as well as from those at US colleges and universities.

The old (1963-65 era) US Military Advisory Assistance Group provided my officer housing my last 7 out of 18 months in Karachi in the P.E.C.H.S. suburb. My office was in the then US Embassy building. Major General George Ruhlen, USA, Ret., Dec. was very kind to me as a mere Lt., USAF, and took me on several of his USMAAG site visits around then West Pakistan. I was only in old East Pakistan (now Bangladesh) a few times....booked myself on USAF C-130 and C-141 missions to Dacca and return to Karachi in the early 1964 era. USAF then had ALS, the Air Logistics Systems, which became MATS, then MAC, now TRANSCOM (all services airlift services combined).

I liked the ALS system as I could send myself anywhere in the world without specific cost accounting funding citation(s). Later on Secretar of Defense McNamara introduced the MATS (USAF) cost accounting system, which we were not staffed to handle but "made do with as best we could." The days of shipping a USAF pilots MG sports car to overseas postings for free ended rather abruptly thanks to McNamara. I was furnished a four door mid size USAF Ford which I drove myself (native hired drivers were terrorizing vs. driving and controlling the/a car myself.) My staff car was painted an innocuous blue and white with a CD metal tag on a holder sticking up on the front bumper. Thus I never got a parking ticket in Karachi!

I visited Tripoli, Libya when King Idris still ruled there, going from Karachi to and out of old Wheelus AFB, which as a base during WW II saw lots of action. During the Cold War, pre-Kaddafi era, Wheelus was a major around the world RON base. Did several R&R self booked USAF flights to now gone USAF NATO air bases at Chattereaux and Evereaux. The people of Paris during the DeGaulle era were individually very friendly, but DeGaulle was a "cold fish" and responsible for shutting down back then all USAF bases in France. Modern day NATO military relations with France are of course excellent today. Other nations I was able to book myself site visits to "to survey the routes" included Iran under the Shah; Turkey; and Lebanon which was then peaceful and ruled by a King. My one planned trip under the old USAF ALS system to Burma resulted in a blown engine gasket in our old C-123 (flying blimp) as we failed to lift of from old Maripur Pakistan Air Force Fighter/Bomber Base outside Karachi, on the sea coast, in the Sind Desert.

As a reserve USAF Major on the Air Staff after the Shah left Iran, when the US planned the failed US Embassy hostages airlift, I was "spoken with" about topographical related flight conditions by pilots (I was/am not a pilot but ran all USAF airlift thru and inside West Pakistan). These US pilots subsequently were involved in that disastrous ending special mission. Desert sand storms are unpredictable, as I said to them way back then, and you could never plan on necessary flying conditions in the lower parts of Iran. Tehran was different because it was up in the mountains, which largely blocked out sand storms from the desert regions of Iran.

In civilian life for several years after doing my 6 years USAF active duty (then in the USAF Reserve as a secondary career) I was an International Banking Officer in NYC with Manufacturers Hanover Trust Co., in the Asia Section, primarily in the Japan area, but we also covered India and then West and East Pakistan, as well as numerous other Asian nations. China was not a world banking player during those years. China opened up slowly as those old enough here to remember will recall.

Summing up this old and current cryptic overview, the several civilians since 911 to date whom I still get e-mails from, particularly religious minority Muslims in the NWFP, Baluchistan, Swat, and the "Frontier" rawest ungovernable parts of Pakistan, concern me at the recurring persecutions and outright murder(s) against them during different, minority Muslim sect religious observances. As well as against them merely because they exist and refuse to be dominated by either/or al Qaida and the most violent versions of the Taliban.

In my USAF youthful era in Karachi that sprawling city even in the early to mid-1960s had a small but thriving Jewish diaspora community. I expect folks would no longer identify themselves as Jews anywhere in Pakistan today for fear of quick extermination by the terrorists. Christian missionaries in my era in the various Northern areas of Pakistan, in particular, were found from time to time decapitated by early radical Muslims, but not to the extent such is the case today.

Of course in modern day Saudi Arabia we read of Pakistanis there recently beheaded (four or six such men) for trading in illegal drugs inside that country. These are not "religious" decapitations...but a tough way to die under Saudi Arabia's strict legal system (sharia).

Wounded in the Rann of Kutch in late January, 1965 by being in the right place at the wrong time (I was a guest on a Pakistani boar hunt, but we never got to the hunting destination on the poorly identified Pakistan/India border) when an Indian tank shell below an oncoming truck into our PIA truck Land Rover. "I learned to fly" that day when I briefly was "air borne" or ejected from the bench in the back bed of the Land Rover truck as I flew sideway into the cab back wall of our vehicle, then up that cab wall, into the air and landed outside our Land Rover truck in a rather "hard" sand embankment beside the road. That all resulted in what today we know as a TBI, traumatic brain injury, among several injuries I and we sustained on that date, 30 January 1965.

My entire 18 month USAF tour of duty in Pakistan I was technically carried on the Air Attaché's Roster, so did get invited to all military and diplomatic functions, even though there is no such things as a Second then a First Lieutenant, USAF being an Assistant Air Attaché.

From the time I was wounded (defined as an indirect wounding from friendly forces fire) on 30 January 1965 until I PCSed in June, 1965 back to the States, I was detailed inside, "rode a desk as an additional duty" in the Embassy CIA Team Officer. This, on top of my old USAFSS (later named USAF Electronic Security Command) duties, which included support of the RB-57F intelligence program, when we brought in 2 RB-57Fs for missions similar to what the U-2 formerly did from Pakistan. My primary CIA "additional duty" tasking was to write an emergency 6937th USAFSS Base plan, due to the 1965 India-Pakistan War. The Emergency Plan was used after I PCSed to the States during the summer of 1965. We had a bit over 1,000 military and civilian personnel at the 6937th, Badabur, a suburban area of Peshawar in sight of K-2, the second highest mountain in the world...in the Himalayas. Key senior office and senior NCOs were allowed accompanied tours at our Peshawar/Badibur base, so there were US women and children on base to be evacuated, along with our military personnel.

For general public information (no longer classified) our 1965 War evacuation was a special USAF airlift directly from Peshawar across Iran into Turkey. This fact was printed in both TIME Magazine and the New York Times during 1965.

Excuse my rambling writing style here.

Out for now. Have a good new week.

Last edited:
I have a few Pakistani civilian friends living in the Karachi area today, in 2014. I still hear regularly from these few.

I used to get, primarily in response to hundreds of letters printed in the Peshawar FRONTIER POST dozens of different civilian as well as academic (college teachers/professors and such) e-mails from all over Pakistan as well as from those at US colleges and universities.

The old (1963-65 era) US Military Advisory Assistance Group provided my officer housing my last 7 out of 18 months in Karachi in the P.E.C.H.S. suburb. My office was in the then US Embassy building. Major General George Ruhlen, USA, Ret., Dec. was very kind to me as a mere Lt., USAF, and took me on several of his USMAAG site visits around then West Pakistan. I was only in old East Pakistan (now Bangladesh) a few times....booked myself on USAF C-130 and C-141 missions to Dacca and return to Karachi in the early 1964 era. USAF then had ALS, the Air Logistics Systems, which became MATS, then MAC, now TRANSCOM (all services airlift services combined).

Wow!

Thank you.

I hear from my elders that some of our distant relatives worked on Peshawar airbase during the time. Couple of those whom I knew directly have now passed away.

so your description of those times may add some of the missing parts.

I hope you don't mind any of us to ask questions about events.

One of my American heros is Chuck Yeager,

Any interesting stuff where you two may have crossed paths?

Thanks

Brigadier General Chuck Yager, USAF, Retired, Deceased, was older than I am...I'm 74 years old.

I regret to say I never personally met Brigadier Yager, but know of his test pilot exploits, and thought highly of him as an excellent example of what a top notch USAF pilot should be as a historic and when living, a living good example, to aspiring pilots worldwide.

Brigadier General Chuck Yager, USAF, Retired, Deceased, was older than I am...I'm 74 years old.

I regret to say I never personally met Brigadier Yager, but know of his test pilot exploits, and thought highly of him as an excellent example of what a top notch USAF pilot should be as a historic and when living, a living good example, to aspiring pilots worldwide.

Oh yes, the man is a legend! He spent quite some time in Pakistan too apparently.

By the way, I think he's alive.

Gen Yeager lives!!
(but one can be forgiven thinking he died.. he is 90 is still going strong).

Back
Top Bottom