What's new

The legend of Immortals of India

hembo, what does the -stika in aastika and nastika mean? Also, should I read swaastika as self-stika?
Thanks.

There is no word "stika" in Sanskrit.

The word is not "stika" but asti-ka or na'-asti-ka (one who says asti, or one who does not say asti, asti meaning acknowledgment or "to be"). The suffix -ka either forms a diminutive or intensifies the verbal meaning.

The word Swastika came from the Sanskrit word su-asti-ka, meaning any lucky or auspicious object, and in particular a mark made on persons and things to denote auspiciousness. It is composed of su- meaning "good, well" and asti "to be" and the ka as before. Hence swastika or suastika might thus be translated literally as "that which is associated with well-being," corresponding to "lucky charm" or "thing that is auspicious.

The word is not "stika" but asti-ka or na'-asti-ka (one who says asti, or one who does not say asti, asti meaning acknowledgment or "to be"). The suffix -ka either forms a diminutive or intensifies the verbal meaning.
Thank you for holding my hand through one step on the expansive terrain on knowledge. <-You can already see the effect of reading Eastern philosophies in my prosody!

Anyway, it makes perfect sense, since we have hastii -to be / being- in my language too, of course h is an add-on. The -ik I understand from listening to Hindi is the noun for a person in a certain state or performing some action, am I right?

The word Swastika came from the Sanskrit word su-asti-ka, meaning any lucky or auspicious object, and in particular a mark made on persons and things to denote auspiciousness. It is composed of su- meaning "good, well" and asti "to be" and the ka as before. Hence swastika or suastika might thus be translated literally as "that which is associated with well-being," corresponding to "lucky charm" or "thing that is auspicious.
Oh suu is good I remember. Exactly the opposite of what we have, i.e. evil!

^^^

You are right about the "ik".

Dharma (Religion)-ik = Dhaarmik (Religeous)
Sena or Sainya (Military)-ik = Sainik (Soldier)
Tantra -ik = Taantrik

etc. etc.

errrm pardon me but do you consider the following to be 'splendid'

[figures on the temple in Khajuraho]

This looks like depiction of bestiality, this would not be considered 'splendid' by modern standards, could you elaborate on what this ritual is?

This portrays bestiality in khajuraho temple. I think most of them knw abt that temple famous for erotic art and it comprises all kind of sexual practices bestiality is one among them but it not acceptable and notorious in society that is y one statue hiding its face. There is no relation with rituals.

I read some publication by a professor of Hinduism who stated that Hinduism is sadly currently distorted in peoples' minds, and he researched that Hindu scriptures do record bovine consumption. But I unfortunately don't have the reference.
:rofl: come up with something powerful source

This looks like depiction of bestiality, this would not be considered 'splendid' by modern standards, could you elaborate on what this ritual is?

Bhai you should think like we Hindus before muslim invaders brught Islam & its morals we were really ahead of all the people who believed in ebrahmick relegions(jews, christians,muslims) cause in olden days tempels were seen as schools & figures on the temple in Khajuraho show how anciants use to explain s** education to young people(means that Hindus about 1000 back were so open minded that they gave s** education which some western experts now want to give to young people to save them from troubels arising from non education in this matters + social ill's like ...STD's , AIDS, Child abuse,gay culture..LTGB & teen age pregnancies) & the figure shown clearly tells that the girl is covering her eyes to tell this type of s**** practices are bad & immoral(but are still prevelent in some parts of south asia)cause by nature man is a very curious creature & try to find or do the things which are forbidden in social enviorment ....i think some member like kingkobra explain it better thanks .

i do not think it is bestiality...it looks like a doll to me...how can horse be so small or humans so large..on the other side you can see a statue that is hiding it's face from the scene which also shows that this act is not accepted and looked down upon...it totally depends on your interpretation....i mean if you like camel sex then you will not see the statue hiding it's face...

Edit:GURU DATT has explained it nicely that these temples were also used as knowledge center for people....to show them what is right and what is wrong..statue hiding it's face clearly shows that this practice is wrong..just like some of those public awareness advertisements..

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom