What's new

The kickback system!!!

Levina

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
The kickback system!!!

I got interested in guns after I wrote an article about snipers on pdf. The quest to know more about guns lead me to this.
The story began long time back when one fine day in my physics class my teacher taught me that “every action has equal and opposite reaction”, this is what we know as Newton’s 3rd law. It’s an interesting law, which said if I slap somebody then chances of me getting one in return was very high. Scary!
I was also taught that this law has many applications, like the recoiling systems of a gun. Recoil is also called knockback, kickback or simply kick.

So what is kickback system?

If I had to define recoil or the kickback then I’ll define it as the backward momentum* of a gun when the ball is discharged. Now, according to 3rd law of Newton, the recoil caused by the gun will balance the forward momentum of the ball (a projectile). This momentum is transferred to the ground through the body of the shooter if you're holding a gun, while in heavier guns the momentum is transferred to the ground through its mount. The diagram should help you understand this process better.
* Momentum is the quantity of motion of a moving body, calculated as product of mass and velocity of the object.

A)

1.jpg

B)

2.jpg

Now it is very important to understand that in firearms which 're recoil operated, the entire firearm doesn't recoil when the bullet is fired, but only a part of the firearm is allowed to recoil and the rest of the firearm remains motionless, well almost. In case of a recoil operated action has the bolt is locked at the point of firing, ergo it enables the recoil operated action to fire heavier cartridges.

Now there are 3 types of recoiling systems

1) Long recoil: For example automatic shotguns.

2) short recoil: For example automatic machine guns and semiautomatic pistols.

3) Inertia: For example bigger shotguns

1) Short recoil-

When you press the trigger in a gun with short recoil, the slide and barrel which are initially locked together (shown by 2 slots in diagram) move back. While slide moves the entire distance backwards the, barrel moves about half the distance, disengages itself form the slide and tilts down slightly. Simultaneously the bullet is fired and then the slide comes forward, the barrel is put in place a new bullet is put in place for the next shot.

Now if you’re wondering how does the barrel tilt as it moves back, then it’s the interaction of the pin and barrel which causes it. The pin moves down and the slot helps the barrel to tilt. Why this is done so is to maintain safe amount of gas pressure in the chamber while the slide and barrel are locked. A tight gas ensures greater range. But if the slide moves back early then it will reduce the gas pressure in the chamber and reduce the force propelling the bullet out of the barrel.

3.jpg

4.jpg

(pls note the barrel tilt shown in the diagram is intentional to make it more visible to the viewers)

It is interesting to note that in some guns the barrel is slowed down while in others the bolt is accelerated to achieve this effect. As the the slide moves backwards, it compresses a recoil spring. The recoil spring then pushes the bolt forwards after the old cartridge is ejected.

2) Inertial recoil system- Inertia is the tendency of an object at rest to remain at rest, this is the main principle of inertial recoil systems. When a inertial recoil system based gun is fired all of its part move rear-wards except the barrel. The difference in motion between the bolt and the gun compresses a short,very stiff inertia spring between the body bolt and bolt head. As the shot leaves the gun, the spring vigorously re-bounces, this in turn creates enough force to unlock the rotating bolt head, eject the spent shell. The new shell is put in place and the spring pushes the assembly forward, locking the rotating bolt head. This system is adaptable to almost any sort of ammunition. Those who use it swear by it, and heres why:
It has just 3 simple parts, the bolt body, inertia spring and rotating bolt head. This reduces the mass and ergo inertia driven systems are faster (about 5rounds per second). The gas is not channeled into the system unlike short and long recoil system. This also gives an ease of cleaning.

When the rifle is held vertically up…

5.jpg

3) Long recoil systems:

Unlike short recoil systems In the long recoil systems the barrel along with the slide moves thr complete distance, and has a lot of moving parts. There are 2 recoil springs as shown in the diagram the one in the butt is used by the bolt while the barrel uses the spring placed at the bottom. When the trigger is pressed, the hammer comes u, strikes the firing pin, which shoots the bullet. Now as the barrel moves back,at some point it unlocks from the bolt, while the bolt stays back the barrel moves forward ejecting the spent shell.

upload_2015-9-18_21-19-4.png

Thrilling? Isnt it???
Before I wind up this article, let me tell you a short story of a man called Bruno Civolani. This man understood the importance of inertia, and its application in guns but nobody was ready to accept his model. His struggle to find someone who backed his idea continued for 2yrs, when he stumbled upon a moped manufacturing company called Benelli.The benelli system turned very popular because of the speed at which it could fire. Believe it or not until 2012 all inertia-operated firearms either were made by Benelli, or used a design licensed from Benelli. A similar story which reminds me Lamborghini's entry into luxury sports cars.
As Curt Richardson said " Failure is a part of innovation...perhaps the most important part".

@Slav Defence That's my official entry into best writer's competition. But my request is, the article should not be taken in the run for title holders. Thanks!
@Psychic @SpArK @nair @WAJsal

Last edited:
I think one often misunderstood and misrepresented aspects of guns is the shotgun. Often times in movies you will see a guy shoot someone with a shotgun and that poor soul falls two feet back in the air. There is no such reaction in reality. If a guy you shoot fell back two feet, then theoretically the person firing the shotgun should also fall back two feet ( that's my tie-in with the kickback/recoil mechanism).

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

I think one often misunderstood and misrepresented aspects of guns is the shotgun. Often times in movies you will see a guy shoot someone with a shotgun and that poor soul falls two feet back in the air. There is no such reaction in reality. If a guy you shoot fell back two feet, then theoretically the person firing the shotgun should also fall back two feet ( that's my tie-in with the kickback/recoil mechanism).

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.
Hahaha
I like your logic.
But I think ppl often misunderstand Newtons 3rd law.
Let me try explaining it to you to the best of my knowledge....
It so happens that when an object exerts force on another object then the 2nd object exerts some force back on the 1st one. The best example to prove it is Newtons cradle desk toys.
Now for a person to go flying back when a bullet hits him the bullet must have enough momentum.
Mathematically momentum= mass x velocity.
Mass of a bullet is very less, and the velocity of any bullet is between 600-1800 feet per second, so the momentum will definitely not be enough to move a man.

I am sure some of what I hav posted was already to known to you, hope my logic has not flummoxed you further.

Btw I heard Pakistanis living towards the Afghan border keep a lot of guns at home. I've seen a BBC documentary based on it.

I thought this to be something about monetary kickback. :sick:
Anyway thanks.

Lol
Monetary kickback?
Naah, that's not my field. :)
The man in the video was sitting in the wrong position(towards the edge of a rock), and that was most prolly the reason why he fell back with a loud thud. Lolz
Btw I did want to create a few gifs of my own, to post with this article(I think gifs explain things better than images).
I will post some tomorrow.

Hahaha
I like your logic.
But I think ppl often misunderstand Newtons 3rd law.
Let me try explaining it to you to the best of my knowledge....
It so happens that when a body exert force on another object then the 2nd object exerts some force back on the 1st one. The best example to prove it is Newtons cradle desk toys.
Now for a person to go flying back when a bullet hits him the bullet must have enough momentum.
Mathematically momentum= mass x velocity.
Mass of a bullet is very less, and the velocity of any bullet is between 600-1800 feet per second, so the momentum will definitely not enough to move a man.

I am sure some of what I had discussed was already to known to you, hope my logic has not flummoxed you further.

Lol
Monetary kickback?
The man in the video was sitting in the wrong position(towards the edge of a rock), and that was most prolly the reason why he fell back with a loud thud. Lolz
Btw I did want to create a few gifs of my own, to post with this article(I think gifs explain things better than images).

Actually i think it's velocity squared, so velocity is a much bigger factor compared to mass. Anyhow, even if momentum was sufficient, it simply won't throw back a person, it will instead just pierce through him and come out the other side, leaving a large exit wound. But if a person was wearing a bullet proof vest, then i think all the force will be converted into a push, and this is when that recoil during firearm discharge comes into play, since the recoil wasn't strong enough to throw back a person, it probably won't throw the person.

If you were to apply this theory to Napoleons cannons that used cannon balls, then it just might work. And even modern artillery pieces for that matter. If you recall an artillery gun firing, you will notice how it's barrel recoils during each shot, in fact that heavy thing even moves back on its wheels.

Now imagine if that recoiling force was felt by a person's shoulder, i am willing to bet it will throw that person more than a few feet away and same will go for the unfortunate guy that the artillery shell will drop on. I hope i was able to explain my point clearly. :p Just my 5 cents.

Btw I heard Pakistanis living towards the Afghan border keep a lot of guns at home. I've seen a BBC documentary based on it.

That is absolutely true. Seeing 10 year olds walking around the marketplace with AK-47's will be a common sight there. And by common, i mean common, not an exaggeration.

Actually i think it's velocity squared, so velocity is a much bigger factor compared to mass.
No it's not velocity squared, just m x v.
It's unit is Kg m/s.

Anyhow, even if momentum was sufficient, it simply won't throw back a person, it will instead just pierce through him and come out the other side, leaving a large exit wound. But if a person was wearing a bullet proof vest, then i think all the force will be converted into a push, and this is when that recoil during firearm discharge comes into play, since the recoil wasn't strong enough to throw back a person, it probably won't throw the person.
You're right.
The bullet has a higher chance of passing through someone rather than knocking that man off his feet flying, more so because we are nothing but flesh, easy to tear apart.
Reminds me of .50cal BMG rounds.

If you were to apply this theory to Napoleons cannons that used cannon balls, then it just might work. And even modern artillery pieces for that matter. If you recall an artillery gun firing, you will notice how it's barrel recoils during each shot, in fact that heavy thing even moves back on its wheels.

Now imagine if that recoiling force was felt by a person's shoulder, i am willing to bet it will throw that person more than a few feet away and same will go for the unfortunate guy that the artillery shell will drop on. I hope i was able to explain my point clearly. :p Just my 5 cents.
If you notice in the second diagram, the dotted lines I've drawn actually show the original position of the canon, but once the canon fires it moves back slightly and the weight at the back actually helps reduce the kickback.
I'm assuming kickback sets in because canon is one solid object unlike us who are made up of flesh. So even a close range shot should not really push a man backwards unless he's reacting to the shot.

That is absolutely true. Seeing 10 year olds walking around the marketplace with AK-47's will be a common sight there. And by common, i mean common, not an exaggeration.
Yeah...
The BBC documentary did shock me. One or 2 of my Pakistani freinds have told me about the gang wars.
Was this the after effect of Soviet attack on Afghan?

I like it. Informative and well illustrated article.

I would like to add one more type....The recoilless type!

The reaction is the discharge of gases instead of kickback.

BTW which software did you use to draw the diagrams?

I like it. Informative and well illustrated article.

I would like to add one more type....The recoilless type!

The reaction is the discharge of gases instead of kickback.
Thanks!
Recoilless rifles are usually lighter in weight, ergo easy to carry. But the issue with recoilless rifles is that it is a one-shot weapon only, as it leaves a clear signature giving out your position. So it's a "shoot and scoot" weapon.

BTW which software did you use to draw the diagrams?
I had a hunch that you might ask me about it. You're smart. lol
I used AutoCAD-2D, as its a piece of cake for me to create drawings in AutoCAD. Though I originally wanted to create a 3D model in 3Ds max, but that would have consumed a lot of time, and rendering it with right material would have been another headache.

I had a hunch that you might ask me about it.
Haha.
You're smart. lol
people think I am naive.
I used AutoCAD-2D, as its a piece of cake for me to create drawings in AutoCAD. Though I originally wanted to create a 3D model in 3Ds max, but that would have consumed a lot of time, and rendering it with right material would have been another headache.
AutoCad is mostly used by engineers, the mechanical engineers mostly so maybe you are one?
Good job any way. Esp that pistol xray looks cool.

Psychic said:
Good job any way. Esp that pistol xray looks cool.
Thanks! :)

AutoCad is mostly used by engineers, the mechanical engineers mostly so maybe you are one?
I'm a civil engg. :angel:
I had to learn AutoCAD as a subject in college, now I am in love with all the autodesk softwares (except Maya which is used for animation). I've not come across a software more user friendly than this.
Btw I have used screen shots(which I think has effected the picture quality) as I could not have uploaded autocad files directly on this forum. :)

Btw I have used screen shots(which I think has effected the picture quality) as I could not have uploaded autocad files directly on this forum.
May be. It is a good change as others upload from net or other sources instead of making own pics.
A noob question. Can the windows paint make similar diagrams or not?

May be. It is a good change as others upload from net or other sources instead of making own pics.
A noob question. Can the windows paint make similar diagrams or not?
ofcourse you can use paint. But it will take you longer, as such diagrams have many straight lines and paint-brush is helpful for freehand drawings only.
Softwares like autoCAD can easily produce a straightline of a particular length.
But 3Dsmax is best to create such models, if time permits I will create a short animation of possibly the inertial recoil system...I hope I can.

Lol
Monetary kickback?

Where is that tomorrow ? :o:
Saw your thread for voting today and I would have voted for your thread if you wouldn't have that missing tomorrow.

Where is that tomorrow ? :o:

I'm sorry.
I was preparing for exams and ergo the delay.
I usually dont download gifs from internet instead i create some of mine own from reliable videos.
I hope you will like these.
If I had more time I would have created my own animation. But my work and studies dont give me enough leisure time these days.

Long recoil system

long recoil-1.gif

Inertial recoil system

inertial recoil syetm.gif

Short recoil system:

short recoil.gif

!eon said:
Saw your thread for voting today and I would have voted for your thread if you wouldn't have that missing tomorrow.
which thread?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom