What's new

The INSAS 5.56mm Rifle - A close and careful look

OFB site is a little confusing !!

4 assault rifles are given namely...?

1-assault rifle
2-standard insas
3-insas excalibur
4-kalantak micro assault rifle (for cqb)
wasn't the amogh for CQB scenarios ..... If yes then why multiple guns .... Or is amogh failed ?

Plz someone care to mention their roles .....

OFB site is a little confusing !!

4 assault rifles are given namely...?

1-assault rifle
2-standard insas
3-insas excalibur
4-kalantak micro assault rifle (for cqb)
wasn't the amogh for CQB scenarios ..... If yes then why multiple guns .... Or is amogh failed ?

Plz someone care to mention their roles .....

I think amogh was rejected by Army on its first trial !

This is my commentary now.

What concerns me is that this rifle may not hold a zero because the rear sight assembly is mounted on a movable receiver cover. This may mean where you aim is not where you shoot.

DSC05566.jpg

Also the plastic furniture seems brittle and prone to breakage and orange is a very visible color at night...

update: I just read that any soldier who breaks the magazine or the plastic furniture is required to pay up for the cost from his own paycheck... :angry:

and apparently they break even with minor accidents like when it slips when leaning against a wall.

Your study is comprehensive and your observations are very very close. one thing you missed out that the metal is very very crude and sub standard. even once i saw a broken head of rotating bolt of an INSAS which was first in my life time of any rifle. however situation has now changed and things have quite improved off late. and nobody has to pay for a broken magazine, its life is six month on record, but it is good enough to last 4 or 5 years. all broken mags of a unit are collected and written off once in a year. new versions are quite good and aim is very very accurate. in fact i found its aim always better than any other rifle of its class. but since you have pointed out the manufacturing anomaly, i am wondering now why it is firing so accurately.

India should order POF EYE!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

cornershot.jpg

pof_eye_expo1.jpg

We would like to, but please first you change your g3s which we call auto fall in india and are obsolete from last 15 years. and if you are unable to change them, at least dont send them in UN mission.aapki sari shan mitti me mila deti hai ye kambakht.

Those Tavors and European models you are talking about are only going to your special forces or elite troops. Your soldiers are still stuck with the awkward first generation Insas and other assorted abominations. No need on telling you about the state of your police and paramilitary. Our elite troops also carry weapons such as FN F2000, M4A1 SOPMOD, Steyr AUG A1, Steyr SSG 69, etc. The G3 still is superior to anything India has because of the 7.62x51 round. On top of that we produce all variants of the MP5 and a tactical version of the AK-47 by the thousands. No useless junk guns, all business and proven platforms.

The 7.62mm round is not superior.Otherwise most forces around the world wouldn't have switched to 5.56mm.5.56mm gives way more ammo carriage ability ,against the 7.62s stopping power advantage.Its a ongoing debate.
Nice analysis btw. I agree on many accounts especially on use of rivets and overcomplexity.
But performance is quite good.

INSAS,
Pros,
Ironsight is pretty decent
Has a variety of scopes and other sights that can be placed
can fire rifled grenades has a sight for it as well
Longer barrel than the M-4 yet same over length
India 5.56 ammo is said to have 10% extra pressure than standard NATO rounds
reliable
Transparent mag
accurate, no issue here.
Works in Kargil, will work in all conditions.
Combat proven
Effective with a bayonet
Quick reload time?
Avalialbe UBGL with a button fire rather than trigger fire
Cons,
too many unnecessary parts
maintenance heavy compared to AK-47
heavy
poor manufacturing quality
20 round MAG
Known issues include cracking of polymer in cold conditions, said to be a maintenance issue.

INSAS,
Pros,
Ironsight is pretty decent
Has a variety of scopes and other sights that can be placed
can fire rifled grenades has a sight for it as well
Longer barrel than the M-4 yet same over length
India 5.56 ammo is said to have 10% extra pressure than standard NATO rounds
reliable
Transparent mag
accurate, no issue here.
Works in Kargil, will work in all conditions.
Combat proven
Effective with a bayonet
Quick reload time?
Avalialbe UBGL with a button fire rather than trigger fire
Cons,
too many unnecessary parts
maintenance heavy compared to AK-47
heavy
poor manufacturing quality
20 round MAG
Known issues include cracking of polymer in cold conditions, said to be a maintenance issue.
This 2 sorted out-
~poor manufacturing quality
~Known issues include cracking of polymer in cold conditions, said to be a maintenance issue.
~/isn't 30 round mag available ?
_

No offence, but aesthetically Insaa is the ugliest and crudest of personal weapons I have ever seen, though functionally it may be an excellent weapon.

Back
Top Bottom