What's new

The Indian Fist ~Arjun MBT and Arjun Mark II

IIRC , Fuel tanks are cylindrical vessels like in this picture .

Arjun_DefExpo_2004_India_02.jpg

What I was asking was about that rectangular box behind the tank.

That Rectangular box contains APU [Auxiliary Power Unit] which helps in keeping the electronics in the Arjun working without turning the engine on... hence saving a lot of fuel and providing stealth [reduced infrared signature]... During a whole day in a Battle the MBTs hardly go beyond 100-80km... most of the time they remain stationary or in Ambush etc... they have to keep their engines running for their electronics to work consuming a lot of fuel and giving away the position due to IR signature and smoke etc... Most western tanks have APU to overcome such drawbacks... even T-90MS have them in the rear part of chassis It is an integral part of modern day MBT... however you won't find them in Chinese MBTs.... even our T-90S Bheeshma don't have them.

That Rectangular box contains APU [Auxiliary Power Unit] which helps in keeping the electronics in the Arjun working without turning the engine on... hence saving a lot of fuel and providing stealth [reduced infrared signature]... During a whole day in a Battle the MBTs hardly go beyond 100-80km... most of the time they remain stationary or in Ambush etc... they have to keep their engines running for their electronics to work consuming a lot of fuel and giving away the position due to IR signature and smoke etc... Most western tanks have APU to overcome such drawbacks... even T-90MS have them in the rear part of chassis It is an integral part of modern day MBT... however you won't find them in Chinese MBTs.... even our T-90S Bheeshma don't have them.

really? any source for the claim?

really? any source for the claim?

What source do you need... they don't have them.. I have been inside the that.... there is no space for APU... It can be installed additionally may be behind the chassis or behind the turret using a Bustle... like in Arjun.

Only Russian Tank commercially produced with APU are T-90MS.

t-90ms10.jpg

t-90ms10.jpg

APU on T-90MS.

However T-90S Bheeshma upgrades would have them.... thanks to the newly introduced Bustle behind the turret or they can have it like T-90MS.. i.e. on the rear of Chassis.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom