What's new

The Great Game Changer: Belt and Road Intiative (BRI; OBOR)

China is big. You have enough room there to lead the landscape. No, you as leader have never been good for anyone. Least your immediate neighbors. Look at history.

At recent history, Vietnam was a province of China. Qing dynasty didn't deal well with UK and France about the regional geopolitics. Since 1850's, UK intend to ally with China to fight against France, and Russia in Asia, specially in Indochina it's obviously UK-China vs France-Burma. China defeated France, north Vietnam should haven't been annexed by France. This is the history you might not learn.

At recent history, Vietnam was a province of China.
I know that part of history. China treated Vietnam 100 times worse than Taiwan today when Vietnam broke away.
Qing dynasty didn't deal well with UK and France about the regional geopolitics. Since 1850's, UK intend to ally with China to fight against France, and Russia in Asia, specially in Indochina it's obviously UK-China vs France-Burma. China defeated France, north Vietnam should haven't been annexed by France. This is the history you might not learn.
wrong. China intervened in Vietnam when it was too late when you realized the French would use Vietnam as springboard for the invasion of China. the French´s assault on China came as expected. China lost the war, had to cede territories to the French. if there was no danger for China, you would not bother lifting a finger.

Hence, they are retreating, cursing globalization and free trade, and blaming all their miserable existence on China's competitive and more efficient industries.

Exactly. Competition and free markets were their great ideology... when they were winning. :enjoy:

Now that they are losing, they are retreating into protectionism. Even before Trump, the USA was already the number 1 most protectionist country in the world. Trump is merely continuing the trend.

I know that part of history. China treated Vietnam 100 times worse than Taiwan today when Vietnam broke away.

wrong. China intervened in Vietnam when it was too late when you realized the French would use Vietnam as springboard for the invasion of China. the French´s assault on China came as expected. China lost the war, had to cede territories to the French. if there was no danger for China, you would not bother lifting a finger.

China give you spirit and soul. After you check your neighbors such as Philippines, Indonesia, Myanmar sometimes fall badly in ethnic and religious conflict, like when you lack air and water, you will find its significances.

China won the war. France-Burma ally was suppressed. At the time, the whole Vietnam as a country didn't exist already.

China give you spirit and soul. After you check your neighbors such as Philippines, Indonesia, Myanmar sometimes fall badly in ethnic and religious conflict, like when you lack air and water, you will find its significances.

China won the war. France-Burma ally was suppressed. At the time, the whole Vietnam as a country didn't exist already.
Calling VN not existing as like you call China not existing until PRC is established. You lost the war against the French. Read the treaty of Tientsin (1885), China accepted French protectorate over Vietnam. in addition the treaty of Hue (1884), demanding Vietnam to stop paying tribute to China after 1,000 years.

China is big. You have enough room there to lead the landscape. No, you as leader have never been good for anyone. Least your immediate neighbors. Look at history.
Without China, Vietnam may no longer exist as it is now, will be colonized by US. Look at history.

Calling VN not existing as like you call China not existing until PRC is established. You lost the war against the French. Read the treaty of Tientsin (1885), China accepted French protectorate over Vietnam. in addition the treaty of Hue (1884), demanding Vietnam to stop paying tribute to China after 1,000 years.

I said Qing dyansty didn't deal well with UK and France about the regional geopolitics. On battlefield Qing won, Qing should have closely allied with UK, but it didn't realize the importances of diplomacy and geopolitics.

I said Qing dyansty didn't deal well with UK and France about the regional geopolitics. On battlefield Qing won, Qing should have closely allied with UK, but it didn't realize the importances of diplomacy and geopolitics.
the qing army may have scored victories in one or two battles, but lost all the wars against foreign aggressors. otherwise you would not have signed a series of unequal treaties, including the ones with the French over Vietnam.

Without China, Vietnam may no longer exist as it is now, will be colonized by US. Look at history.
part of the truth is, without the war you staged against Vietnam in the 1979 and throughout 1980s, our relationship would be much better now. but anyway, the PLA learned a lot from Vietnam during the encounter, otherwise China army today would have been still a peasant army in the Mao area. like the US armed forces, they learned from Vietnam war too. they scrapped military draft and turned the army to a professional army.

the qing army may have scored victories in one or two battles, but lost all the wars against foreign aggressors. otherwise you would not have signed a series of unequal treaties, including the ones with the French over Vietnam.

part of the truth is, without the war you staged against Vietnam in the 1979 and throughout 1980s, our relationship would be much better now. but anyway, the PLA learned a lot from Vietnam during the encounter, otherwise China army today would have been still a peasant army in the Mao area. like the US armed forces, they learned from Vietnam war too. they scrapped military draft and turned the army to a professional army.

Let's come back to the topic. Do Vietnam support or oppose globalization?

European power ruled the world in 19th century, but we were still a sovereign country, unlike Vietnam. So you don't come brag this and that, blah, blah, blah. And don't derail this thread.

Last edited:
Exactly. Competition and free markets were their great ideology... when they were winning. :enjoy:

Now that they are losing, they are retreating into protectionism. Even before Trump, the USA was already the number 1 most protectionist country in the world. Trump is merely continuing the trend.

If I were the US, I would be concerned the most if China really began to act just as the US acted before.

During the early oil discovery period in the Middle East, the US utilized every diplomacy instruments, including military, to protect and promote their oil companies.

The US also used tariff and non-tariff barriers very aggressively to protect home industries. Some even argue that the US grew stronger because of trade barriers.

But, they have kept accusing China for its efforts to protect nascent domestic industries through some government support and protection.

They have kept accusing China for putting trade barriers although China is the second largest importer in the world.

I just hope (and anticipate) that China won't make an ideology out of globalization or free market concepts into which it would trap itself. Rather, China needs to pragmatically utilize these theories and offer as much inclusive and common opportunities as possible to ensure comprehensive development.

https://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/truth-about-trade-history

Let's come back to the topic. Do Vietnam support or oppose globalization?
sure VN supports free flow of capital, human, services and goods, aka globalization. haven´t you noticed VN signs 16 FTAs? from China, Japan, South Korea, India, Australia, New Zealand, to Chile and the Russia led Eurasia Economic Union (EAEU), from EU to TPP. under negotiation is FTA with Hong Kong, Israel and North European countries.

also VN is open to free flow of labour. anyone with sought after qualifications can work in VN, can buy properties, get residency.

sure VN supports free flow of capital, human, services and goods, aka globalization. haven´t you noticed VN signs 16 FTAs? from China, Japan, South Korea, India, Australia, New Zealand, to Chile and the Russia led Eurasia Economic Union (EAEU), from EU to TPP. under negotiation is FTA with Hong Kong, Israel and North European countries.

also VN is open to free flow of labour. anyone with sought after qualifications can work in VN, can buy properties, get residency.

FTA is not globalization, it may be anti-globalization.

FTA is not globalization, it may be anti-globalization.
what is your definition of globalization?

European power ruled the world in 19th century, but we still keep our sovereignty, unlike Vietnam. So you don't come and brag this and that, blah, blah, blah. And don't derail this thread.
I don´t brag. I would not bother to comment in any thread if not concerning VN.
similar the case if the indo posters don´t brag being the boss of Asean, I don´t give a second to waste on.

what is your definition of globalization?

I don´t brag. I would not bother to comment in any thread if not concerning VN.
similar the case if the indo posters don´t brag being the boss of Asean, I don´t give a second to waste on.

Indonesia, being the largest country in Asean, is sometimes touted as the leader.

Back
Top Bottom