What's new

The Great Game Changer: Belt and Road Intiative (BRI; OBOR)

OBOR. Why Vietnam matters?

OBOR - Vietnam 2.jpg
OBOR - Vietnam 4.jpg
OBOR - Vietnam 5.jpg
OBOR - Vietnam 6.jpg
OBOR - Vietnam 7.jpg

Vietnam’s economy rose 6.7% in 2015, surpassing the target growth rate of 6.2%, with the industry and service sectors growing 9.4% and 6.3% YOY respectively.
  • Consumer price inflation in Vietnam edged up by 1.9% year-on-year (YOY) in April 2016 mainly due to two consecutive price hikes of petrol price as well as an increasing demand for construction materials.
  • In July 2015, Vietnam adopted a “negative list” in its inward investment policy with foreign businesses allowed to operate in all areas except six prohibited sectors.
  • China's Hong Kong was Vietnam’s six largest source of inward FDI in the first four months of 2016, valued at about US$196 million.
  • Vietnam is part of the China-ASEAN Free Trade Area, and it has signed double taxation agreements with over 60 countries/territories including the Chinese mainland and Hong Kong. In February 2016, Vietnam along with 11 other countries including the US and Singapore officially signed the Trans-pacific Partnership (TPP) Agreement.
  • Vietnam’s imports grew much faster than exports in 2015, resulting in a trade deficit of US$3.2 billion, with exports rising 8.1% YOY to US$ 162.4 billion while imports surging by 12% at US$ 165.6 billion.
  • China's Hong Kong’s exports to Vietnam dropped by 3.7% YOY to US$2.1 billion in the first three months of 2016, while imports increased by 5.4% to US$1.6 billion over the same period.
@kecho , @AViet , @Viet , @Shotgunner51

Of course Russian is doing it for its own interests. We are all making decisions and taking actions for own interests, no matter it is individual persons like you or me, or countries like China, Russia, US, Japan, or Vietnam.

We value our ties with Russia. But that doesn't mean we need Russia to do the sea battle for us. That's unnecessary. The motto of our Chinese people is: 自力更生艰苦奋斗 (Translation: Work hard and depend on our own capabilities)

In addition, I don't know how your perceive the Russian Navy. But to me, the Russian Navy has been seriously weakened since its peak time during the Soviet-era. At least that's the case for its surface ships. For example, its Pacific Fleet currently only has five destroyers, 4x Project 1155, 1x Project 956, all commissioned before the death of the Soviet Union.

But do you know the frequency of new ships delivery to the China PLA Navy just in this year (Jan. to July, 2016)? Let me tell you: one new ship every 10 days. If you don't believe, check my thread at:
https://defence.pk/threads/china-navy-has-got-19-new-ships-year-to-date-2016.442197/

BTW, take a look at the July 2016 sat. image of one Chinese shipyard. How many new 052D destroyers are close to be delivered? 1, 2, 3, 4! Again, that's just one shipyard at one single moment.

Now you still think we need Russia to do the sea battles for us?

View attachment 336997
The alliance is merely symbolic.

What you said above is disclosed that China and Russia don't trust each on others, this is symbolic navy drill to counter Asia pivot of USA only.

Putin said that Russi against the involvement of third party in to SCS dispute. It dose mean that Russia will not fight for China expansion in SCS.

Last edited:
What you said above is disclosed that China and Russia don't trust each on others, this is symbolic navy drill to counter Asia pivot of USA only.

Putin said that Russi against the involvement of third party in to SCS dispute. It dose mean that Russia will not fight for China expansion in SCS.
China don't even needs Russia strength and can win easily against even the whole ASEAN combined. The drill is to show Russia stand on China side when comes to SCS dispute. PLAN has 3 fleet. Even sending just one fleet is enough to wipe out whole ASEAN fleet. :lol:

China is too strong.

I feel very funny that you use the word "trust" to describe diplomatic relationship. Tell me which countries on earth Vietnam can TRUST with heart and soul? China? Laos? Cambodia? Thailand? Russia? US? Japan? India?

I showed you the navy strength comparison. No need for us to have Russia to fight for us. That's the only hardcore fact, but too cruel to you.

China don't even needs Russia strength and can win easily against even the whole ASEAN combined. The drill is to show Russia stand on China side when comes to SCS dispute. PLAN has 3 fleet. Even sending just one fleet is enough to wipe out whole ASEAN fleet. :lol:

China is too strong.
No need to mention the so-called "whole ASEAN combined". We have many friends in ASEAN, but just few opponents.
Don't let the few opponents spoil our friendship with the broader ASEAN community.

supplying warships and fighting jets for us, it is enough:-).
That is where the main problem. If US and Europe supply, I am more worry but it's Russia a good allies of China. I am sure all the vietnamese equipment source codes for China will be ready anything :enjoy:

We can jam vietnam military hardware anytime we want. That is why PLAAF J-10 jam VPAF SU-30MKK 50times without problem while J-10 is unharmed. :lol:

Last edited:
Why should Vietnam "trust" Russia while China can't?

common chineses:
下令吧。灭日本。灭越南。灭美国,最后灭俄罗斯,然后把这几个国家的,钱和女人在分给中国光棍。想想都爽歪歪,

=>
extirpate Japan. extirpate Vietnam. Destroy the United States, and finally destroy Russia ...
Fac.

I know what @kecho is trying to do with word tricks such as Russia and China don't trust each other.
Allow me to summarize how things works
  • China doesn't expect Russia to join a sea battle against US in SCS. Lets be very clear on this shall we?
  • Russia can sell subs,warships to Vietnam. China isn't gonna complain at Russia's doorstep.
  • In case of a sea battle, VN can forget about Russian fighting China. Russia will only watch how PLAN wipes out the pathetic Vietnam Navy.
  • China is rapidly building a Blue Water Navy, the speed in which China does this is astonishing
  • China is far more important than VN to Russia. VN is totally useless in helping Russia to deter US aggression especially if you look at the geographical settings. Russia,China and the "STAN" countries are all connected and forming a very important part of OBOR. VN is f*cking USELESS.
  • PLAN can still easily destroy PH, VN, INDO, MY Navies all combined
  • PLAN is already the 2nd strongest Naval force in the world
  • Good luck in arms race to PH,VN,INDO and MY. You guys' budget is a f*cking joke to us.
  • Oh don't expect Japan, India or US coming to save your ***, if you do well that's even more hilarious when either one of your countries is foolish enough to start a Naval battle against China and nobody is answering your cries "HELP HELP HELP" :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides the physical infrastructure, you also need the financial part...

========
PBOC pushes yuan clearing services along Belt and Road
By ZHONG NAN/MAO WEIHUA (China Daily)
Updated: 2016-09-22 08:08

Bilateral, multilateral financial platforms will help facilitate trade and investment

The central bank will continue to make more bilateral currency swap deals, and enlarge the scope and scale of renminbi settlements with countries along the Belt and Road Initiative to cut exchange rate risk and transaction cost for trade and investment, said a senior central bank official on Wednesday.

Chen Yulu, deputy governor of the People's Bank of China, said China will use both bilateral and multilateral financial cooperation platforms and more flexible financial service policies to further facilitate trade and investment along these two trading routes.

The actual payment amount between China and countries and regions along the Belt and Road Initiative amounted to 860 billion yuan ($129 billion) between January and August this year.

The People's Bank of China has so far signed 21 bilateral currency swap agreements with central banks along the Belt and Road Initiative, with a total scale of 1.4 trillion yuan.

Six countries along the routes have been authorized as renminbi qualified foreign institutional investors, with a total quota of 330 billion yuan, by the People' s Bank of China. China has also established five renminbi clearing banks along these two trading routes.

The infrastructure, service and trade network proposed by China in 2013 envisions a Silk Road Economic Belt and a 21st Century Maritime Silk Road, covering about 4.4 billion people in more than 60 countries and regions in Asia, Europe and Africa.

"The establishment of a sound green financing mechanism will be a systemic project that requires coordination among central authorities, local governments, financial institutions and enterprises," said Chen at the Silk Road Financial Forum, a part of the Fifth China-Eurasia Expo held in Urumqi, the capital city of the Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region.

Because many infrastructure projects that are being built or will be built in markets along the Belt and Road Initiative require a large amount of capital and need to wait a long time to gain financial returns, Chen said it is also important to develop transportation, environmental protection, public service and infrastructure through the public-private partnership model.

In the PPP, a government service or private business venture is funded and operated through a partnership of government and one or more companies from the private sector.

Ji Yuhua, deputy director of policy research department at the China Insurance Regulatory Commission, said insurance companies and regulatory authorities are keen to offer more financial support for medium and long-term projects in countries along the Belt and Road Initiative, as capital needed by life insurance companies has an economic cycle between 30 and 40 years.

Eager to gain more financial return from overseas markets, Chinese insurance companies have also established an investment fund with capital of 300 billion yuan in 2015, and a considerable part of the fund have been invested in infrastructure and services along the Belt and Road.

Contact the writers at zhongnan@chinadaily.com.cn and maoweihua@chinadaily.com.cn

I know what @kecho is trying to do with word tricks such as Russia and China don't trust each other.
Allow me to summarize how things works
  • China doesn't expect Russia to join a sea battle against US in SCS. Lets be very clear on this shall we?
  • Russia can sell subs,warships to Vietnam. China isn't gonna complain at Russia's doorstep.
  • In case of a sea battle, VN can forget about Russian fighting China. Russia will only watch how PLAN wipes out the pathetic Vietnam Navy.
  • China is rapidly building a Blue Water Navy, the speed in which China does this is astonishing
  • China is far more important than VN to Russia. VN is totally useless in helping Russia to deter US aggression especially if you look at the geographical settings. Russia,China and the "STAN" countries are all connected and forming a very important part of OBOR. VN is f*cking USELESS.
  • PLAN can still easily destroy PH, VN, INDO, MY Navies all combined
  • PLAN is already the 2nd strongest Naval force in the world
  • Good luck in arms race to PH,VN,INDO and MY. You guys' budget is a f*cking joke to us.
  • Oh don't expect Japan, India or US coming to save your ***, if you do well that's even more hilarious when either one of your countries is foolish enough to start a Naval battle against China and nobody is answering your cries "HELP HELP HELP" :lol:
Have you not noticed nobody is impressed by your empty bragging?

If you want to impress people in Vietnam then

- take back Manchuria from Russia

- liberate the senkakus from Japan

- unite Taiwan

- defeat America

- take the South China Sea under your control

Can you do anything except bragging days and nights?

Have you not noticed nobody is impressed by your empty bragging?

If you want to impress people in Vietnam then

- take back Manchuria from Russia

- liberate the senkakus from Japan

- unite Taiwan

- defeat America

- take the South China Sea under your control

Can you do anything except bragging days and nights?

So sorry i wasn't trying to impress you nor anyone, just stating FACTS. Do you understand the difference between bragging and facts? You see unlike you i don't talk crap. I remember there are times you brag about Vietnam capable of defeating the PLA and sometimes you would say Vietnam won't stand a chance against China. Make up your goddamn mind how strong is your pathetic Vietnam compared to the PLA. Make a list of your damn Airforce,Army and Navy and compare with the PLA. It looks very very depressing on your side. So i suggest you buzz of and keep your so called supa powa Vietnam to your Vietnam military thread instead of promoting crap here. OH so what happened to the AB destroyers USA was supposed to give to Vietnam for FREE according to your begging? 2-3 years has already passed and i still don't see VN having any destroyers :lol:

At least the Indians already know when to STFU now about their Navy. Few years back they were still talking crap about PLAN and how Indian Navy is ahead of us. We are militarizing the islands in SCS, we are expanding it. You see your papa USA doing anything about it? They are even too SCARED to ignite another Korean War and Kim keeps on testing Nukes. Keep on whining as China's military power is growing by the minute as we speak.

Back
Top Bottom