What's new

The Great Game Changer: Belt and Road Intiative (BRI; OBOR)

But its True that Sony is dying now, maybe JP also have lots of AH Q when trying to think Sony is still the best

It is just unfortunate that Sony had to play right into the US playbook by producing that politically-motivated B-rate comedy.

If Sony is to have a turn-around, it is here, right at homer in East Asia.

Sony should not be a cheap pawn in the hands of US state-endorsed media to score cheap shots against an unfortunate country that has already suffered a lot.

I would like to read Sony news in technology section of the newspaper, not US politics section.

@Nihonjin1051

I'm a skeptic whenever analyzing a scenario of a 'comprehensive alliance' between Russia and China, simply on the fact that both powers have greater ambitions. From an objective perspective I see both Russia and China complementing each other right now on the basis of the following parameters:

1) Energy security
2) Geopolitical correspondence
3) Strategic consolidation
4) Financial Security

Right now, at the current epoch, China has the upper hand in, well, everything, when comparing the bilateral relationship between Moscow and Beijing. Economically speaking the Chinese have a substantially larger economy, diversified economic portfolio, greater diplomatic clout (SCO, AIIB, WTO, et al), larger population. Russia's only upper hand would be energy supplies, which it has an enviable abundance of, and to which is needed to fuel China's continued industrialization and manufacturing and domestic demand.

Other than that, what does Russia provide to China? Technology? China is able to create its own 5th generation fighter : J31, J20. China is able to develop its own AEGIS destroyers: Type 052 Ds; China is able to develop and field its own air craft carrier: The Liaoning Class; China is able to field its own nuclear submarine: Type 091, Type 093, Type 094. What about space technology? China is not dependent on Russia as the former has an active and productive CNSA (China National Space Administration). Software capabilities? China has proven its capabilities with ALIBABA, Xiaomi, Lenovo et al. There really isn't anything Russia can do (or make) that China cannot do on her own.

So...

Best,
@Nihonjin1051

look at it this way, for most member here only see the situation is like "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" problem is, as I say this again and again, Russia did not play like this.

Russia is in deep "Sxxt" now, there are no point denying that. Indeed, China can save Russia if China choose to, but to what price to be exact? And what kind of stuff would China want in return?

Whatever Chinese sees as a long term strategic partner with Russia, it will only happen so as long as they were united with a common "Enemies" the United States. So what do you think will happen if we take the US out of this equation?

Problem is, at some point China would and could stand up to the US alone, and Russia will then be an obstacle for the Chinese if they grew big enough. And since Russia share a border with China, you can expect an Russian Threat is every bit as lethal, if not, more lethal than the United States. Then you also have to link Russia and India too, and it would be a big threat if a strong Russia and a strong India sandwiches China.

However, when you look back from another angle. There are no way as of current, to have a strong India, unless there would be a strong Russia. So in this sense, China keeping Russia weak is killing the Indian Problem on a long run too, Hence a strong Russia is not suitable for the Chinese situation in the long run.

Hmm I think I know what you're talking about. It might be true for our ancestors. From an evolutionary perspective, a female human tend to find a male more attractive if he has masculine features (well built, etc.). Natural selection made women this way because a physically strong male can better provide protection to the offsprings. But I've read a report that it is now becoming the opposite, but probably still generally true.

Anyway, I think high EQ is what gives people the edge over the others, all else being equal. The nerd with no people skills but academically intelligent will get no girls compared to the Jock that is charismatic but academically dumb. Even if the Jock is not athletic, he will still get more girls than the nerd if the Jock is charasmatic. In other words, he got game and the nerd doesn't.

I think this is like East Asian countries, all are academically intelligent high achievers but gets no love cause they got no game. People think I'm trolling when I said the CP is too "peasant" but I really meant it, they have no game (low EQ).

The East Asian culture for good or bad cause the nerd to be selected and that is why we evolve in such a emasculated way. While women in their free state will mate with macho man, the East Asian culture bestowed so much wealth and prestige to the scholar or rich man type that women become perverse and try to mate with scholar and rich man.

In East Asia the macho man having a more aggressive nature are often decimated as these people tends to rebel. In the west, the macho man may have more chance to ascend through service in the army. In East Asia, top generals are used and executed like toilet paper, or they are deliberately put down.

Even in Singapore today, the warrior do not command the army. The scholar are delliberately being parachute to senior position.

I DO NOT think the white man has high EQ. The white man especially the French are famous for pumping pills or taking drugs or seek psycological healthcare. East Asians are persevere and those who visit mental clinic are deemed as sicko.

The white man live in their natural state and those who excel truely move high. However their society has plenty of scumm who cannot make it.

The East Asian culture is design such a way that no one are really salient and everyone are more equal. We have fewer shitbag

The top white man may win East Asians but the East Asian society will win white man.

Talk about sexual opportunities, right now white man is more prosperous than us. White man are more macho. Hence woman will let white man screw.

Let say if white man society degrade further. Their man screw and run away leaving parasitic kids with their laid women. Their man beat their women. Their man start to screw their daughters. Their man start to stay at home and stop working. Their man start to take drugs and drink wine. Their man start to screw many women outside.

And let say East Asian improve a little.

Who do you think women will prefer?

The clash of civilization is not just in battlefield but also in bedroom.

The continuity of east asian civilization depends on whether women want to mate with us and choose to bring up the kids as east asians.

look at it this way, for most member here only see the situation is like "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" problem is, as I say this again and again, Russia did not play like this.

Russia is in deep "Sxxt" now, there are no point denying that. Indeed, China can save Russia if China choose to, but to what price to be exact? And what kind of stuff would China want in return?

Whatever Chinese sees as a long term strategic partner with Russia, it will only happen so as long as they were united with a common "Enemies" the United States. So what do you think will happen if we take the US out of this equation?

Problem is, at some point China would and could stand up to the US alone, and Russia will then be an obstacle for the Chinese if they grew big enough. And since Russia share a border with China, you can expect an Russian Threat is every bit as lethal, if not, more lethal than the United States. Then you also have to link Russia and India too, and it would be a big threat if a strong Russia and a strong India sandwiches China.

However, when you look back from another angle. There are no way as of current, to have a strong India, unless there would be a strong Russia. So in this sense, China keeping Russia weak is killing the Indian Problem on a long run too, Hence a strong Russia is not suitable for the Chinese situation in the long run.

How long can Russia withstand the crisis?
Source:Global Times Published: 2014-12-22 0:08:01

Unlike the image many people hold of Russia, it is neither a powerhouse that embraced the NSA whistle-blower Edward Snowden and annexed Crimea, nor a feeble country as evidenced by the plummeting ruble. The truth of Russia's situation is unclear to many people, both in the West and China.

The Russian economy is overly dependent on crude oil exports, and this ongoing crisis proves that it is not easy for Russia to be an extra-large Saudi Arabia. Some people suggest that Russia should learn from Canada and Australia, which have managed to transform huge reserves of natural resources into fortunes. However, due to Russia's large population of 140 million people, its modernity and strong currency cannot be solely supported by oil, gas and timber.

Western sanctions cannot be the straw that breaks the back of Russia. This old trick has proven much less effective even in smaller countries like Cuba and Iran. That is why Russia's annexation of Crimea only left the US and Europe impotent earlier this year. The ongoing crisis engulfing Russia in the wake of plummeting oil prices and the ruble depreciating is probably not what the US had planned. For Washington, what is happening in Russia is more or less unexpected.

Vladimir Putin's reign can hardly be overturned simply by currency inflation. Russia has experienced many ups and downs, and it has the tenacity to withstand risks and dangers.

However, many of Putin's visions, such as vaulting Russia to the top five in terms of economic strength by 2020 can hardly be realized now. Russia's morale and unity might fall victim to these failures, and the long-term stability of Russian politics is uncertain.

China's help will not get Russia completely off the hook. China is capable of offering sufficient capital, technologies and markets to Russia, but these efforts can only take limited effect if Russia's economy still relies heavily on oil exports and lacks structural diversity.

If Chinese investment in Russia shoots up under these circumstances, Moscow might suspect China has ulterior motives. Russia does not want to be a vassal of the Chinese economy, and this red line must be clearly understood by China.

It doesn't mean China should give Russia the cold shoulder and involve itself with the West. As a close neighbor, Russia plays an indispensable role as a strategic partner of China in the international community. China must hold a positive attitude to help Russia out of this crisis.

China must act as an active mediator between Russia and the US, or it will have to face unavoidable geopolitical risks if their conflict spirals out of control.

China hopes Russia can regain its economic strength as soon as possible. But anything we can do to help will be limited to what Russia asks for.
Posted in: Editorial

Unlike the image many people hold of Russia, it is neither a powerhouse that embraced the NSA whistle-blower Edward Snowden and annexed Crimea, nor a feeble country as evidenced by the plummeting ruble. The truth of Russia's situation is unclear to many people, both in the West and China.

The Russian economy is overly dependent on crude oil exports, and this ongoing crisis proves that it is not easy for Russia to be an extra-large Saudi Arabia. Some people suggest that Russia should learn from Canada and Australia, which have managed to transform huge reserves of natural resources into fortunes. However, due to Russia's large population of 140 million people, its modernity and strong currency cannot be solely supported by oil, gas and timber.

Western sanctions cannot be the straw that breaks the back of Russia. This old trick has proven much less effective even in smaller countries like Cuba and Iran. That is why Russia's annexation of Crimea only left the US and Europe impotent earlier this year. The ongoing crisis engulfing Russia in the wake of plummeting oil prices and the ruble depreciating is probably not what the US had planned. For Washington, what is happening in Russia is more or less unexpected.

Vladimir Putin's reign can hardly be overturned simply by currency inflation. Russia has experienced many ups and downs, and it has the tenacity to withstand risks and dangers.

However, many of Putin's visions, such as vaulting Russia to the top five in terms of economic strength by 2020 can hardly be realized now. Russia's morale and unity might fall victim to these failures, and the long-term stability of Russian politics is uncertain.

China's help will not get Russia completely off the hook. China is capable of offering sufficient capital, technologies and markets to Russia, but these efforts can only take limited effect if Russia's economy still relies heavily on oil exports and lacks structural diversity.

If Chinese investment in Russia shoots up under these circumstances, Moscow might suspect China has ulterior motives. Russia does not want to be a vassal of the Chinese economy, and this red line must be clearly understood by China.

It doesn't mean China should give Russia the cold shoulder and involve itself with the West. As a close neighbor, Russia plays an indispensable role as a strategic partner of China in the international community. China must hold a positive attitude to help Russia out of this crisis.

China must act as an active mediator between Russia and the US, or it will have to face unavoidable geopolitical risks if their conflict spirals out of control.

China hopes Russia can regain its economic strength as soon as possible. But anything we can do to help will be limited to what Russia asks for.
Posted in: Editorial

Russian is resilient and they will come back as they have beaten off enemies throughout centuries.

The mongol defeated them and they defeated mongols.
The swedes defeated them and they defeated swedes.
French
German
Now... USA

Just that this time, they stand a chance to lose Kiev forever. And losing Kiev forever will be a pain to Russian. It is comparable to the Orthodox church losing Constantinople.

Russian is resilient and they will come back as they have beaten off enemies throughout centuries.

The mongol defeated them and they defeated mongols.
The swedes defeated them and they defeated swedes.
French
German
Now... USA

Just that this time, they stand a chance to lose Kiev forever. And losing Kiev forever will be a pain to Russian. It is comparable to the Orthodox church losing Constantinople.

Kiev was an independent capital, although under Russian influence. But, as a divided country, at best, they will not have significant influence in the region. Besides, the threat of Russia will forever dangle over their head.

Not a bright future for them. US is thousands of miles away. Russia is just next door. And with Crimea gone, what kind of leverage they really have against Russia other than playing the Western proxy game?

I share the news below, but I should say that I did not like the doom and gloom rhetoric. Also, the repeated word "saving Russia" is kind of insulting. It appeared on China.org.cn, however.

Russia's choice: What lies ahead...
By Sumantra Maitra

When one is travelling, it is usually not hard to find or interact with Russian backpackers. There are various reasons for this. Russians don't travel as much as their European counterparts; the Germans, French and British. Russia also has a weak economy. And finally, an essential for backpacking, is having a Working Holiday visa, which is reciprocal and bilateral for countries which are signatories. So, it was a unique opportunity when I came across this young Russian twenty-something student, who I met in Auckland.
Her name was Olga (and I honestly didn't make it up, nor is it a stereotype, Russians do LOVE the name Olga for some reason), and she is starting a business diploma course in New Zealand soon. Being a journalist and a researcher, I couldn't pass the unique opportunity to talk to her about her country, the situation in Ukraine, politics and economics, and her experiences in interaction. It was a fascinating experience to find out the contradiction in her opinion, a window to the mind of an average Russian youth, venturing out in the allegedly hostile world where everyone hates Russia, and the secret yearning for material pleasure, having the simplest dreams like the rest of us.

She doesn't like Vladimir Putin personally. Being a more moderate, city dwelling, educated Russian, she knows the structural problems Russia is undergoing. But she respects him, for what he is, for being a strong leader.

Putin to her is God send, a man destined to restore the spirit and glory and pride of a civilization, that gave the world Gogol, Pushkin, Dostoevsky and Tolstoy; a country which is the birth place of Swan Lake by Tchaikovsky. From Rachmaninoff to Kasparov, from Gorky to Tereshkova, a land which contributed its fair share in any field around us.

She also however, in the same breath laments the lost opportunities in her country. She knows all too well that the Russian economy is doomed, and on a backward autarkic projectile. She is aware of the severe discomfort whenever she meets any European or Westerner, and prefers not to talk about the Russian annexation of Crimea, or the shooting down of the Malaysian airliner over Ukraine. She avoids talking about the first forced border change and annexation of territory in Europe since World War II, even while she vaguely tries to justify that by arguing something which we have heard all too often from any regular Russian news outlet, that Crimea is a historical part of Russia, the home of the Kievan Rus, and it was a shortsighted mistake during the Soviet times to let it be with Ukraine.

The severe loss of the value of rouble means that the Russian consumers and students now can't afford Western products. It is also making the lives of Russians abroad miserable.

But finally, what struck me as the most acute pain she faced in the entire forty five minutes conversation is the fact that she realizes, that Russia is an isolated and closed society, shutting itself off from the rest of the world, limiting severely the cultural interactions between Russians and everyone else.

So what are Russia's problems? Economists and political scientists will differ in their analysis. From a political perspective, Russia is suffering from an acute case of a "security dilemma."

During the high growth years of the last decade, Russia was a (re)rising hegemon. Its economy and military might comparatively restored, the Chechnya problem solved, and a part of the global market and the WTO, Russia was looking west.

But the rise of Russian military inevitably cracked open the deep fault lines, and Russia's smaller neighbors were paranoid. With the color revolutions, Russia also felt increasingly under siege, and started to take actions based on military might alone, with blatant disregard of the free choices of the region which it still ironically imperially calls as its "sphere of influence." The smaller neighbors, feeling threatened, turned even more westward, trying to balance Russia, which in turn made Russia even more paranoid.

Economists would argue that Russia is doomed due to structural reasons. For an economy of a great power, Russia is shockingly lacking in almost every aspect. The Russian economy is based on energy. It has no competitive advantage, it doesn't export anything worthwhile, its labor mobility and brain drain is outward, and its demographic growth negative. Russia is not a manufacturing giant like China, or a service-sector and IT giant like India. Russia is also not an innovation and start-up powerhouse like the United States and the Western world. There is no Russian Google or Facebook, nor is there a Russian Tesla or Reliance or Wipro or Mercedes, or PWC, or McDonalds, you name it. An economy which is not product, innovation or service oriented, solely relying on a single utility inevitably was doomed with or without political problems adding to the burden.

No matter how Putin tries to explain it to the world, the sanctions didn't kill the Russian economy nor is the West encircling Russia economically, it just hastened its demise. Russian rouble was doomed, because its entire economy was controlled by a corrupt handful of people, with a senile and craven internal system, and no matter how powerful they are, the forces of the market eventually got to them.

The challenges Russia faces are massive. In face of Western sanctions and a pariah status, Russia can only be saved by China and India. But in order for that to happen, it needs to take urgent steps. It needs to stop its international confrontations, which is making it embarrassing for both China and India to back Russia as responsible global citizens, just like Israel is increasingly becoming a burden for the United States.

The economic steps are more immediate. Russia should open its borders and remove visa delays for Indians and Chinese to live and work there. That would inject a fresh workforce, fresh investment, and frankly fresh blood. It should give tax benefits to Chinese startups and Indian companies to start business there, with a half local and half foreign work force of their own choice. It should start more cultural interactions and scholarships for students to study and settle in Russia, and most importantly, solve the chronic structural problems like endemic corruption and the high crime rate.

Will Russia do the abovementioned? It is not the job of an analyst to predict the future. But Russia should remember the historical lessons from Athens and Sparta. The two ancient powerhouses were locked in the greatest geo-political battle of their times, during and after the Peloponnesian war. Sparta increasingly turned inward, was hostile to foreigners and unwelcoming to immigrants, jingoistic, chauvinistic and revanchist. Athens was on the other hand, the exact opposite, a melting pot of immigrant traders and artists alike from across the globe; the earliest example of globalization. The contribution of Athens remains in arts, philosophy and science forever. It gave us Parthenon. No one, however, remembers Sparta, other than the martial spirit and the destructive wars it initiated. If Russia chooses the latter path, it will be a sad world for all the young Russians like Olga venturing out with little dreams in their eyes.

The writer is a foreign affairs journalist, and research scholar on foreign policy and neo-realism, based in New Zealand. He tweets @MrMaitra.

Last edited:
Talk about sexual opportunities, right now white man is more prosperous than us. White man are more macho. Hence woman will let white man screw.

Let say if white man society degrade further. Their man screw and run away leaving parasitic kids with their laid women. Their man beat their women. Their man start to screw their daughters. Their man start to stay at home and stop working. Their man start to take drugs and drink wine. Their man start to screw many women outside.

I suggest you get off your morality high horse.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/CHIN-01-291013.html

"There is something I must tell you about China: It is rather morally creative in the usage of its women.

There isn't a hotel, massage parlor, ktv, or conference hall in town that isn't frequented by "little sisters" (xiaojie), escort personnel (baopo), hostesses (peinv), or other types of prostitutes (jinv). There's a name for any relationship a female plaything may fall into:

Here are the "second wives" (er laopo), women [who may havefamily or kids but] who indulge in extramarital affairs with men, married or not. Then we have "the thirds" (disanzhe) who are casual love affairs only.

The queen of all female roles, however - in direct competition with the faithful "wife" (laopo)- is the "mistress" (qingren). The mistress, a femme fatal, not only embodies adventure and carnal pleasures, but is also the surest status symbol a man can wish for: She shows you have money!

Technically, only married men can have mistresses; otherwise, if the gentleman is single, we would refer to his female company - however many of them- as simple "girlfriends" (nvpengyou). The Chinese tradition of maintaining mistresses is based on what good Christians would refer to as adultery - a sin; yet in China it is mere custom - a habit.

Consequently, when Westerners first come to China, they are utterly perplexed by the strict division here between marriage, romance, and sex - for which, in Chinese thinking, of course (at least) three different types of women are required..."

The East Asian culture for good or bad cause the nerd to be selected and that is why we evolve in such a emasculated way. While women in their free state will mate with macho man, the East Asian culture bestowed so much wealth and prestige to the scholar or rich man type that women become perverse and try to mate with scholar and rich man.

In East Asia the macho man having a more aggressive nature are often decimated as these people tends to rebel. In the west, the macho man may have more chance to ascend through service in the army. In East Asia, top generals are used and executed like toilet paper, or they are deliberately put down.

Even in Singapore today, the warrior do not command the army. The scholar are delliberately being parachute to senior position.

I DO NOT think the white man has high EQ. The white man especially the French are famous for pumping pills or taking drugs or seek psycological healthcare. East Asians are persevere and those who visit mental clinic are deemed as sicko.

The white man live in their natural state and those who excel truely move high. However their society has plenty of scumm who cannot make it.

The East Asian culture is design such a way that no one are really salient and everyone are more equal. We have fewer shitbag

The top white man may win East Asians but the East Asian society will win white man.

And let say East Asian improve a little.

Who do you think women will prefer?

The clash of civilization is not just in battlefield but also in bedroom.

The continuity of east asian civilization depends on whether women want to mate with us and choose to bring up the kids as east asians.

And you still single. It sounds like prewching and not doing your part. Don't tell me senoir software engineer in SG not rich enough to get a wife. Even if you are ugly by current westernized standard of beauty, you r rich eniugh to start a family and propagate Asian gene. But you choose to use time on this forum correctly talk aboutthe problem you are part of. Go to love website and get a wife, then pumps out kids ASAP. dude:angry:

@Nihonjin1051 as the resident psychology expert..if Chinese women perceive a notion marital infidelity by their husbands is almost an expected practice.. it seems it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why they may look elsewhere for a relationship/husband.

I'd rather not talk more about the "evil white man/West and Asian women" thing. But people should look in their own backyards first to see if there are any problems before pointing at their neighbors.

Back on topic...

Last edited:
this is not about friendship. Some members think Russia is all nice and all. They have stolen Chinese lands, threatened China at her most vulnerable times, supported india and even threatened to use nukes.

If Russia want Chinese help they need to give Chinese more in return in the form of engine tech, better deal on oil/gas and some land. I think and hope CPC will extend help once Russia is on her knees.
haha dream on you chinese chauvanist, i am pretty sure russia would hold on siberia over crimea

Russia is just like NK, they know clearly that if China dont give aid, then when they fall, China will fall,too.

So, China should keep giving aid unconditionally as usual. Russia-NK will never come to China and ask for help :pop:
The best time for China to fall was 150 years ago but no one can do much except a very powerful empire managed to muscle a city from China for "lease". Vietnam missed her chance. Being master of sub Mekong delta is anything but a dream.

haha dream on you chinese chauvanist, i am pretty sure russia would hold on siberia over crimea

My take is it is good for Russian to hold on to Siberia. Changing the status quo will cause too much blood shed. But if Russian elites continue to let her country rot, things may be unpredictable.

Paul Krugman has pointed out in NYT that Russia is in deep shitt today because the elites fleeced the country and flee to the west. Then Putin pretend currency control after all his friends have left, locking up only the middle class and the poor. A lot of China elites are doing exactly the same thing including Chairman Xi Jinping's relatives.

If China elites are bad, then China deserve to get shit also.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/12/19/opinion/paul-krugman-putins-bubble-bursts.html?_r=0

For those who haven’t been keeping track: The ruble has been sliding gradually since August, when Mr. Putin openly committed Russian troops to the conflict in Ukraine. A few weeks ago, however, the slide turned into a plunge. Extreme measures, including a huge rise in interest rates and pressure on private companies to stop holding dollars, have done no more than stabilize the ruble far below its previous level. And all indications are that the Russian economy is heading for a nasty recession.

The proximate cause of Russia’s difficulties is, of course, the global plunge in oil prices, which, in turn, reflects factors — growing production from shale, weakening demand from China and other economies — that have nothing to do with Mr. Putin. And this was bound to inflict serious damage on an economy that, as I said, doesn’t have much besides oil that the rest of the world wants; the sanctions imposed on Russia over the Ukraine conflict have added to the damage.

But Russia’s difficulties are disproportionate to the size of the shock: While oil has indeed plunged, the ruble has plunged even more, and the damage to the Russian economy reaches far beyond the oil sector. Why?

Actually, it’s not a puzzle — and this is, in fact, a movie currency-crisis aficionados like yours truly have seen many times before: Argentina 2002, Indonesia 1998, Mexico 1995, Chile 1982, the list goes on. The kind of crisis Russia now faces is what you get when bad things happen to an economy made vulnerable by large-scale borrowing from abroad — specifically, large-scale borrowing by the private sector, with the debts denominated in foreign currency, not the currency of the debtor country.

In that situation, an adverse shock like a fall in exports can start a vicious downward spiral. When the nation’s currency falls, the balance sheets of local businesses — which have assets in rubles (or pesos or rupiah) but debts in dollars or euros — implode. This, in turn, inflicts severe damage on the domestic economy, undermining confidence and depressing the currency even more. And Russia fits the standard playbook.

Except for one thing. Usually, the way a country ends up with a lot of foreign debt is by running trade deficits, using borrowed funds to pay for imports. But Russia hasn’t run trade deficits. On the contrary, it has consistently run large trade surpluses, thanks to high oil prices. So why did it borrow so much money, and where did the money go?

Well, you can answer the second question by walking around Mayfair in London, or (to a lesser extent) Manhattan’s Upper East Side, especially in the evening, and observing the long rows of luxury residences with no lights on — residences owned, as the line goes, by Chinese princelings, Middle Eastern sheikhs, and Russian oligarchs. Basically, Russia’s elite has been accumulating assets outside the country — luxury real estate is only the most visible example — and the flip side of that accumulation has been rising debt at home.

Where does the elite get that kind of money? The answer, of course, is that Putin’s Russia is an extreme version of crony capitalism, indeed, a kleptocracy in which loyalists get to skim off vast sums for their personal use. It all looked sustainable as long as oil prices stayed high. But now the bubble has burst, and the very corruption that sustained the Putin regime has left Russia in dire straits.

How does it end? The standard response of a country in Russia’s situation is an International Monetary Fund program that includes emergency loans and forbearance from creditors in return for reform. Obviously that’s not going to happen here, and Russia will try to muddle through on its own, among other things with rules to prevent capital from fleeing the country — a classic case of locking the barn door after the oligarch is gone.

I concur with you that Russia may pose a long term threat to China's National Security, due to the wide-array of Russian interventionist policies that are counter-intuitive to China's sovereign strategem. I would point out that Russia is currently flowering its relationship with North Korea, as well as improving defense articulation with Vietnam, India , both of which are nations that are in qualms with China -- especially in regards to territorial disputes.

I conjecture that prior to Russia's current geopolitical quagmire (Western Sanctions, Economic Collapse) , they were involved in various military articulations with nations that are competitors with China. They had leased a nuclear submarine to India, and are considering yet another program with India vis-a-vis the Project 971 Nerpa. All of this is happening at the same time while Russia's Putin is publicly spewing that China is Russia's "great friend". At the same time the same "friend" is providing Kilo class submarines, and Gepard class frigates to Vietnam, which can be construed as actively and directly improving Vietnam's projection to counter and resist Chinese claims in the Paracel, Spratly Islands.

Apologists for Russia will say that such iconoclastic conjectures will hamper Russo-Chinese ties, but one can answer that by studying the geopolitics of Russia these past 4 decades, and an analysis of Moscow's foreign policy will lead any analyst / researcher to see its inherent interventionist policy to most of its 'partners'. In fact , the Russians are heavily involved in policies that will only benefit her interests with concordance in Russia's favor.

In the short term, cooperating with Russia is favorable to Beijing's national strategic interests. But long term, say when China's economy (GDP) exceeds that of the United States', has a military defense spending that is at par with the United States, do you think Russia will be satisfied to be "under" a Beijing that is militarily, economically and diplomatically greater than he? I doubt it. They are not the type to be satisfied with being #2 in any relationship, history proves this. They will, eventually, be actively involved in duplicitous interventionist activities within China or with powers that surround China.

To cite the old adage, "Best to keep one's friends close, but one's enemies...keep them closer"

@Nihonjin1051 as the resident psychology expert..if Chinese women perceive a notion marital infidelity by their husbands is almost an expected practice.. it seems it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why they may look elsewhere for a relationship/husband.

Hi Peter,

The notions of relationship concordance is a great interest and value to all of us, especially in the field of human sciences (sociology, psychology, neuroscience, neurobiology) because it allows us to study various variables that play a role in personality development as well as behavioral development. Cultural differences may be a pervading factor of interest, but, overall, personality, or in specific, psychosocial elements are almost universal. This concept of marital infidelity is present in any society, any culture; be it Western European, Eastern European, North African, Subsaharan, Central Asian, Southeast Asian, East Asian et al. Sexual appetite , sexual urge is ubiquitous.

If a woman, doesn't matter what part of the world she's from, feels that she's undergoing a form of abuse (mental, physical, sexual) then she has the right to leave that injurious and toxic environment. Permanently. While there may be some practices in establishments in East Asia that condones peripheral sexuality (massage parlors in China, Geisha in Japan et al), one should also note that not every man from say Japan or China indulges in such activity or engages in such interest. I can cite a personal example for this conjecture. My grandfather never took part in such , neither does my father, and neither do i. There are women in Japan who abhor such a practice and make it known to their partners of their opposition to such behavior, and many abscond their partners if they partake in that lifestyle.

Let me also add that I personally believe that "Love" knows no color. If a Japanese man or woman falls in love with a fellow Japanese, then great! If , however, they fall in "Love" with a foreigner, then great also. Follow your heart; afterall, we only live once. So long as that person whom a person selects provides him or her with a positive household, loving environment ...then go for it!

Editorial

First of all, for some reason I wasn't notified for this, so if this came as a late response, I am really sorry about that.

Now, back on topic.

The editorial did not say anything. And the only thing that said is that Russia would not be brought down by the sanction in place.

Problem is, the purpose of western sanction is not aimed at bringing down Putin's Russia, but to have Russia yield at withdrawing support to Ukrainian Rebel.

I say this probably a thousand time already, sanction is not to bring down Russia, you cannot bring down anything or anyone with sanction or blockade, that's an undisputed truth, Leningrad did not break for 800 days after being sieged by the German Troop would say more than I ever could.

But the act behind sanction is that so Russian would stop arming Ukraine Rebel. Sanction took money away, and that's the direct result of it, couple with the fact that oil price hit new low, that's where Russian money turn to not even worth the paper it printed on. To support a war, you need money, as everything you supply and use cost. Everything have a price on it, bullet cost about 15c each, tank cost 6 millions each, soldier need pays and all kind of food stuff and clothing to fuel also cost money. You cannot support an open war if you have no money, the only thing you can do is issue bond.

As I said, the momentum is going to go out with Russian Support, it's a matter of Whether or not would the rebel could totally claim Donetsk and Luhansk first, or Russia ran out of money to support the rebel first, and from the look of it. It would be most likely the latter would happen first.

So, if you ask me whether or not the sanction is working? If Russia have to turn the gas back on in Rest of Ukraine and have to seek China for help, then you bet the sanction is working.

First of all, for some reason I wasn't notified for this, so if this came as a late response, I am really sorry about that.

Now, back on topic.

The editorial did not say anything. And the only thing that said is that Russia would not be brought down by the sanction in place.

Problem is, the purpose of western sanction is not aimed at bringing down Putin's Russia, but to have Russia yield at withdrawing support to Ukrainian Rebel.

I say this probably a thousand time already, sanction is not to bring down Russia, you cannot bring down anything or anyone with sanction or blockade, that's an undisputed truth, Leningrad did not break for 800 days after being sieged by the German Troop would say more than I ever could.

But the act behind sanction is that so Russian would stop arming Ukraine Rebel. Sanction took money away, and that's the direct result of it, couple with the fact that oil price hit new low, that's where Russian money turn to not even worth the paper it printed on. To support a war, you need money, as everything you supply and use cost. Everything have a price on it, bullet cost about 15c each, tank cost 6 millions each, soldier need pays and all kind of food stuff and clothing to fuel also cost money. You cannot support an open war if you have no money, the only thing you can do is issue bond.

As I said, the momentum is going to go out with Russian Support, it's a matter of Whether or not would the rebel could totally claim Donetsk and Luhansk first, or Russia ran out of money to support the rebel first, and from the look of it. It would be most likely the latter would happen first.

So, if you ask me whether or not the sanction is working? If Russia have to turn the gas back on in Rest of Ukraine and have to seek China for help, then you bet the sanction is working.

Russia has plenty of monies problem is her elites siphon it off. A country the size and technology level of Russia does not need to trade with others. She can close her door up and live like emperor.

I think this time, it is inevitable that Russia will lose Kiev, but take back consolation like Crimea. If Russian elites do not repent, 100 years down the road, the entire Russia will break up.

Back
Top Bottom