What's new

The Great Game Changer: Belt and Road Intiative (BRI; OBOR)

Agreed! Not to mention the high cost of maintenance of HSR networks. The logistics and cost thereof would leave even the most optimistic civil engineer scratching his or her head. lol

Yep, and it's this cost that has so far been the biggest inhibitor here in the States. People are too frugal, even when projects would benefit the US as a whole.

Precisely. We have achieved the pinnacle of human civilization by unraveling the power of the atom, have ascended the heavens into space, have created modules to travel at hypersonic speeds, have mastered the genetic code, and unraveled bacteriology and virology through pharmacology.

And for what? To travel intercontinentally vis-a-vis trains? What's the point of planes then? lol

Mankind moves forward, not backwards. :lol:

for what? to travel safely
malaysiacrash08_2978618b.jpg

planes are dangerous also it would benefit trade using high speed trains as plane delivery of goods is more expensive and container ships take longer

Russia is below Estonia, Slovak Republic, and at the same tier with Poland. Its not at the head of Eastern Europe at all. Comparatively and proportionally.
but your graph shows its 15k but its the outdated ppp conversion. Imf and worldbank updated it

for what? to travel safely
malaysiacrash08_2978618b.jpg

planes are dangerous also it would benefit trade using high speed trains as plane delivery of goods is more expensive and container ships take longer

Ironic that you posted that. That was the Malaysian Airline that was shot down by Russian anti-air missiles , right ?

PS. You're not supposed to shoot passenger airliners, btw.

i can be in china in roughly 10 hours.

Lufthansa ® Deutschland - Günstige Flüge ab 99 € buchen

wrong. Frankfurt - Beijing is 10 hours. ;P

these people thought the same
missing-plane-300.jpg

Ironic that you posted that. That was the Malaysian Airline that was shot down by Russian anti-air missiles , right ?

PS. You're not supposed to shoot passenger airliners, btw.
it was shot down by ukraine, it doesnt matter planes crashing all the time. They are unreliable, with time trains will replace planes as the travel time gets more and more lower. 2 Days from china to moscow is a pretty low time, you can easily just take a sleep all the time. I would rather travel in train then to take any plane who could crash and kill me.

Yep, and it's this cost that has so far been the biggest inhibitor here in the States. People are too frugal, even when projects would benefit the US as a whole.

You're right Sven. I can understand why the United States has been resistant to building Shinkansen style HSRs , after cost-benefits analysis. Plus, the US has a unique Car culture. Its interesting to see that Americans have a 'cross country drive' culture. This past summer, some of my friends literally drove from South Jersey to Wyoming to visit Yellowstone Park. When I asked them, would you rather choose to take the pane to Wyoming? Or take a bus ? My friend answered me, "Its the driving experience". :)

Precisely. We have achieved the pinnacle of human civilization by unraveling the power of the atom, have ascended the heavens into space, have created modules to travel at hypersonic speeds, have mastered the genetic code, and unraveled bacteriology and virology through pharmacology.

And for what? To travel intercontinentally vis-a-vis trains? What's the point of planes then? lol

Mankind moves forward, not backwards. :lol:

I would like to say this too. Your viewpoint is no more wrong than mine is right, just a differing view point. I've known sailors that love subs and being on them, they freaked me out, I hated being on them. I don't like being on water, but many people would rather be on a boat than on land. I like bikes, but don't like cars. Others feel differently. For trains and planes, our preferences and which we think is more advanced or better for the future of travel is a matter of opinion and I respect yours just as much as I do mine.

(felt it was a bit rude of me to reject your assertion, considering opinions are never facts and my preference does not equal the best way forward)

Last edited:
it was shot down by ukraine, it doesnt matter planes crashing all the time. They are unreliable, with time trains will replace planes as the travel time gets more and more lower. 2 Days from china to moscow is a pretty low time, you can easily just take a sleep all the time. I would rather travel in train then to take any plane who could crash and kill me.

For the sake of argument, irrespective of who shot the civilian plane; it was shot down. Period. Under normal circumstances, in peaceful theaters, civilian aircraft are not supposed to be targeted by military personnel and a thorough screening prevents such instances from happening in other parts of the world. In more peaceful , developed parts of the world. That is.

There are many processes that establishes this; the Geneva Convention's Rules of War for example , explicitly forbids the targeting of civilians in military engagements.

For the sake of argument, irrespective of who shot the civilian plane; it was shot down. Period. Under normal circumstances, in peaceful theaters, civilian aircraft are not supposed to be targeted by military personnel and a thorough screening prevents such instances from happening in other parts of the world. In more peaceful , developed parts of the world. That is.

There are many processes that establishes this; the Geneva Convention's Rules of War for example , explicitly forbids the targeting of civilians in military engagements.
but it doesnt change the fact that planes crash even without any military involvement. Also it was not the first time a plane was shot down by other people. just some months after the incident in ukraine, french plane went down in which no one knows what responsible for

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Algérie_Flight_5017

Funny part is i already know that he will want some sort of confirmation that HSR lines aren't in use in eastern Europe, probably there's a slight insult in there as well, namely switching me for a Slovak! Or he just wanted to rub in that single HSR line from Mockba to St.Petersburg + Slovak switch. :lol:

but it doesnt change the fact that planes crash even without any military involvement. Also it was not the first time a plane was shot down by other people. just some months after the incident in ukraine, french plane went down in which no one knows what responsible for

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Algérie_Flight_5017

Both planes and trains crash, so to do cars, bikes, boats, helicopters, ski-doos, and anything else humans ride on. But that doesn't mean that plane or train crashes are frequent events or than either form of transportation is unsafe. Crashes get headlines, especially if foul-play was involved. Cars crash at a higher rate than planes or trains, yet people still regard them as safe to use.

Last edited:
For gods sake please ignore that russian troll.

Beside that airplanes are by far the most safe transportation possible. And nope, i would never travel intercontinental by train. I live in the 21st century. Thats backwarded russia shit. What coems next? travel by horse?

Funny part is i already know that he will want some sort of confirmation that HSR lines aren't in use in eastern Europe, probably there's a slight insult in there as well, namely switching me for a Slovak! Or he just wanted to rub in that single HSR line from Mockba to St.Petersburg + Slovak switch. :lol:

He also hides that russias highspeed rail between moscow and st. petersburg is 100% german build. Even the trains got shipped to russia. They can´t build it themself.

Back
Top Bottom