What's new

The Great Game Changer: Belt and Road Intiative (BRI; OBOR)

unfortunately all of eastern europe is very backwards except for Russia, so it will take a long time in order for trains to replace ships and planes in world trade

Operational high-speed lines in Europe

Operational high-speed lines in East Asia

@flamer84

Finland is an eastern European nation, Turkey too (depending on your perspective), are they backwards? More to the point though, this rail line would be a great addition to the economic and cultural exchanges of Russia and China, though for the greater Eurasia it does seem a bit "out of the way" as it crosses only though Mongolia, China and Russia. I'm not sure Afghanistan would benefit too much (just as a point of comparison). Hopefully all goes well.

travel between russia and europe is almost not existant. So this is basicly a dead end.
travel to china in 4 days?

Finland is an eastern European nation, Turkey too (depending on your perspective), are they backwards? More to the point though, this rail line would be a great addition to the economic and cultural exchanges of Russia and China, though for the greater Eurasia it does seem a bit "out of the way" as it crosses only though Mongolia, China and Russia. I'm not sure Afghanistan would benefit too much (just as a point of comparison). Hopefully all goes well.
nope they arent in a political stand. Russia is the only eastern european country having high speed rail lines, not even smaller countries like czecho & slovakia made any despite due to their size being its much cheaper to build

@Audio

unfortunately all of eastern europe is very backwards except for Russia, so it will take a long time in order for trains to replace ships and planes in world trade

Operational high-speed lines in Europe

Operational high-speed lines in East Asia

@flamer84

All of Eastern Europe is very backwards except for Russia? Are you sure?

6a01310f54565d970c0133ed797a9c970b-800wi

image018.gif

GDP per capita

i can be in china in roughly 10 hours.

Lufthansa ® Deutschland - Günstige Flüge ab 99 € buchen

wrong. Frankfurt - Beijing is 10 hours. ;P

10 hours? I stand corrected then. Why would anyone want to take a train to China in 4 days when they can take a plane and be there in 10 hours. Gee wiz! Talk about efficiency. ;)

image018.gif

GDP per capita

10 hours? I stand corrected then. Why would anyone want to take a train to China in 4 days when they can take a plane and be there in 10 hours. Gee wiz! Talk about efficiency. ;)

4 days is a bit too much to incentivize me to seek a ride from Moscow to Beijing, but it makes sense from a Russian perspective. Russian's already use trains to traverse their eastern regions, though these trips take long, they still have experience operating them in harsh conditions. They are also more economical and practical than other forms of mass transportation. For a point of comparison planes may be faster, but are more expensive for consumers, more expensive to maintain, their crews harder and more expensive to train, and Russia's plane force isn't exactly at the top of the world rankings these days.

4 days is a bit too much to incentivize me to seek a ride from Moscow to Beijing, but it makes sense from a Russian perspective. Russian's already use trains to traverse their eastern regions, though these trips take long, they still have experience operating them in harsh conditions. They are also more economical and practical than other forms of mass transportation. For a point of comparison planes may be faster, but are more expensive for consumers, more expensive to maintain, their crews harder and more expensive to train, and Russia's plane force isn't exactly at the top of the world rankings these days.

I´m just saying it would be laughable for a european to travel china by train.

No question, I'd rather fly than travel by train. Even for the transportation of goods to and from each region, sea travel is more economical due to the low cost of shipping (insurance is expensive though) and the high volume of goods that can be moved.

Precisely. We have achieved the pinnacle of human civilization by unraveling the power of the atom, have ascended the heavens into space, have created modules to travel at hypersonic speeds, have mastered the genetic code, and unraveled bacteriology and virology through pharmacology.

And for what? To travel intercontinentally vis-a-vis trains? What's the point of planes then? lol

Mankind moves forward, not backwards. :lol:

image018.gif

GDP per capita

you post wrong a oudated data growth in 2011 was 4.3% and above romania and slovakia
GDP growth (annual %) | Data | Graph

gdp per capita is also wrong
GDP per capita, PPP (current international $) | Data | Graph

russia is 24k$

No question, I'd rather fly than travel by train. Even for the transportation of goods to and from each region, sea travel is more economical due to the low cost of shipping (insurance is expensive though) and the high volume of goods that can be moved.

Agreed! Not to mention the high cost of maintenance of HSR networks. The logistics and cost thereof would leave even the most optimistic civil engineer scratching his or her head. lol

Precisely. We have achieved the pinnacle of human civilization by unraveling the power of the atom, have ascended the heavens into space, have created modules to travel at hypersonic speeds, have mastered the genetic code, and unraveled bacteriology and virology through pharmacology.

And for what? To travel intercontinentally vis-a-vis trains? What's the point of planes then? lol

Mankind moves forward, not backwards. :lol:

I don't know if I'd go far enough to call trains backwards, I used to ride one of the D.C. metros with regularity and it was great for inner-city travel. Also more recent hypothetical or theoretical train travel proposals such as hyper-loops, as proposed by Mr. Musk, seem to be a step forward and not backwards. I suppose my view is a bit biased though I as do like train travel more than air travel.

Back
Top Bottom