What's new

The Great Escape From "Shining India"

India has the largest no. of universities in the world....above 8,000 compared to US(5,000) and China rank 10th.

Source:-Top Countries with Most Universities

India's adult literacy will be well above 80% by 2015 and 99% b 2030.Between 209-2010 India grew at 7.2% compared to China 7.7% and will take over China in 2010-2011.India's 30% government officials and university students are so called "DALITS" which are 150 million not 700 million.India's third richest man is a Muslim-Aziz Premji of Wipro.India's democratic rating are 8.8 of 10.0(9.0+ will make India a perfect open democracy).

Can you stop use "will", if we delete the sentences with "will" in it, there are nothing left.:lol:

Growth in slum population is part of the urbanization process anywhere in the world.

And Pakistan being more urbanized means more urban poor and more slum population. But even the urban poor are generally better off than their rural counterparts based on all the studies.

The urban poor are less poor than the rural poor, have greater access to education and health care and job opportunities.

In general, urban poor have greater hope and opportunity than the rural poor.

Haq's Musings: Do South Asian Slums Offer Hope?
Not correct Haq.. As I said earlier.. This number is # slum dwellers / Total Urban population.

Your logic of growth in slum dwellers as a part of urbanization holds for % slum dwellers over total population and not this number..

Now a 45% number for Pakistan means that for every 100 people that move from rural to urban areas, 45 out of them have to live in slums.. Basically shows how efficient is the process of urbanization. This number was 50% in 1990 and is 45% in 2007. Which means that the efficiency of urbanization has not improved significantly in Pakistan in last 17 years..

Rest of your post, I completely agree to..

world’s urban population living in slums

650e38684a5061efe3ec9720027e3e3d.jpg

174m, abt 30% urban population living in slums in China? :rofl::rofl:
i didnt know what a typical slum should look like until i watched that famous movie.

174m, abt 30% urban population living in slums in China? :rofl::rofl:
i didnt know what a typical slum should look like until i watched that famous movie.

These are 2007 numbers from UN..Take them as you will

These are 2007 numbers from UN..Take them as you will

30% is a big data. i have been many chinese cities, at least i didnt see a single slum in those cities i visited.
i think we have some indian friends on this forum but currently living in China, i'd like ask them what's their takes on this matter? better with pics taken by themselves. thanks.

30% is a big data. i have been many chinese cities, at least i didnt see a single slum in those cities i visited.
i think we have some indian friends on this forum but currently living in China, i'd like ask them what's their takes on this matter? better with pics taken by themselves. thanks.

I really dont have any means to validate this data except that generally UN data is more or less accurate..But you can validate it better for us from Chinese sources..

Not correct Haq.. As I said earlier.. This number is # slum dwellers / Total Urban population.

Your logic of growth in slum dwellers as a part of urbanization holds for % slum dwellers over total population and not this number..

Now a 45% number for Pakistan means that for every 100 people that move from rural to urban areas, 45 out of them have to live in slums.. Basically shows how efficient is the process of urbanization. This number was 50% in 1990 and is 45% in 2007. Which means that the efficiency of urbanization has not improved significantly in Pakistan in last 17 years..

Rest of your post, I completely agree to..

Yes, I know it's percent of urban population living in slums. And it is a consequences of a massive wave of urbanization that is moving people off the farms and into the cities for industrial and service jobs.

The housing and other services in cities are not able to keep pace with rapid migration from rural to urban...a phenomenon common in most developing nations....and historically true to the world's major cities in the West during the industrial revolution.

China has found a solution for it by restricting rural to urban migration, but I don't think a similar approach can work in India or Pakistan.

In spite of the current problems it presents, it's a good thing for the nation in the long run. It's part of the growing pains.

Yes, I know it's percent of urban population living in slums. And it is a consequences of a massive wave of urbanization that is moving people off the farms and into the cities for industrial and service jobs.

The housing and other services in cities are not able to keep pace with rapid migration from rural to urban...a phenomenon common in most developing nations....and historically true to the world's major cities in the West during the industrial revolution.

China has found a solution for it by restricting rural to urban migration, but I don't think a similar approach can work in India or Pakistan.

In spite of the current problems it presents, it's a good thing for the nation in the long run. It's part of the growing pains.

I definitely agree that its a good thing to urbanize.. That is definitely visible from most of the western economies.

However on slum dwellings, I differ a bit. In last 2 decades, both India and Pakistan have urbanized almost at the same rate (Pakistan at 20% and India at 18%). However while Pakistan reduced its Slum dwelling % by 5%, India managed to drop it by 20%. I think that is also a very important facet of urbanization.

I certainly agree that restricting migration will not work in a democracy...

I definitely agree that its a good thing to urbanize.. That is definitely visible from most of the western economies.

However on slum dwellings, I differ a bit. In last 2 decades, both India and Pakistan have urbanized almost at the same rate (Pakistan at 20% and India at 18%). However while Pakistan reduced its Slum dwelling % by 5%, India managed to drop it by 20%. I think that is also a very important facet of urbanization.

I certainly agree that restricting migration will not work in a democracy...

Pakistan has and continues to urbanize at a faster pace than India:

From 1975-1995, Pakistan grew 10% from 25% to 35% urbanized, while India grew 6% from 20% to 26%.

From 1995-2025, the UN forecast says Pakistan urbanizing from 35% to 60%, while India's forecast is 26% to 45%.

Haq's Musings: Urbanization in Pakistan Highest in South Asia

Urban+Growth+Asia.gif (image)

wow it shows pakistan growth bar higher than china too

Yes, it does. And the reason is that China has a deliberate policy of restricting migration to manage urban growth in an orderly manner.

Pakistan has and continues to urbanize at a faster pace than India:

From 1975-1995, Pakistan grew 10% from 25% to 35% urbanized, while India grew 6% from 20% to 26%.

From 1995-2025, the UN forecast says Pakistan urbanizing from 35% to 60%, while India's forecast is 26% to 45%.

Haq's Musings: Urbanization in Pakistan Highest in South Asia

Urban+Growth+Asia.gif (image)

forecasting 15 years into future in this volatile environment is foolhardy at best. However last 2 decades show a growth rate of 18% for India (25% to 30%) and 20% for Pakistan( 31% to 37%).

forecasting 15 years into future in this volatile environment is foolhardy at best. However last 2 decades show a growth rate of 18% for India (25% to 30%) and 20% for Pakistan( 31% to 37%).

What is your source for these numbers?

The numbers I have cited indicate a much faster growth in Pakistan urbanization than in India.

The CIA Fact Book estimates Pakistan's urbanization currently increasing at 3% per year versus India's at 2.4% a year.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/in.html

Last edited:
Both India and Pakistan have their work cut out for them.

While it is tempting at times to cut down the Indian fanbois with their extravagant claims, we in Pakistan should focus on improving our country.

We should remember that, in line with their anti-China and anti-Muslim obsession, the West will favor India over Pakistan, and India will receive all kinds of positive press and media recognition well beyond their merits. But that is something between India and the West; the only thing we can do in Pakistan is to stay focussed on our development.

Back
Top Bottom