What's new

The Great Asian Showdown: India’s Kolkata Class v/s China’s Type-52D Destroyer

They have money to buy the best; does it make any difference in terms of the capability of the ship?

Nope he is right everything on Kolkata is imported even the name was copied from a Chinese city :p:

These trolls don't understand the difference in performance and capability between an air defense system that depends on fire control radars such S-300 / 400, Patriot, HQ-9, AEGIS and the systems that uses missiles with active seekers such as Barak 8 and Aster 30.
That makes those systems the best air defense technology in the world. They are only limited by range (temporarily) until the new versions come out such as Barak 8 ER.

I used to be a big fan of S-300 / 400 until I realized that it can only intercept in a 90 degree angle because the fire control radar is very directional and can only cover 90 degrees; batteries only have 1 fire control radar. That's why AEGIS has to have 4 fire control radars, 1 in each direction and that makes them quite expensive.

Still, in addition to that, the interception performance depending on a fire control radar that is many kilometers away from the target is not as good as when the radar seeker in the missile is near the target and approaching the target head on. (that's why those other systems usually launch 2 missiles for each target).

The built in seeker makes for a much cleaner, accurate interception.

@Carlosa

Thanks for Info

Really? No money?
China must struggle to fight poverty too. There are still hundred millions in poverty.

I just came back from China a week ago. My advice to you, go to China and see for yourself. IMO China is now the most prosperous country in the world. Time to Canadians to immigrate to China :china:

I just came back from China a week ago. My advice to you, go to China and see for yourself. IMO China is now the most prosperous country in the world. Time to Canadians to immigrate to China :china:

Chinese ppl is working for me. Don't worry.

Madam

this thread is about Kolkata class and a "type"

52D....and not about prosperity.

wow some members on this forum really get too emotional. both ship have there pros and cons

Hi @Carlosa,

The Mark 99 Illuminator can engage only a single target at a time, but it's only used for terminal guidance, or in other words "last second engagement". Multiple missiles can be airborne at any one time and the Mk 99 will be able to engage multiple targets near simultaneously because it doesn't need to illuminate a target except for when a missile enters terminal range. Because these times are very short, terminal range exists for less than a second on Navy missiles nearing their targets at mach 3+, the Mk 99 can engage many targets within a short time-frame.

This doesn't mean the AEGIS system can only engage one target or vector one missile, just that the Mk 99 can only illuminate one at a time, but that illumination time is really short and another target can be illuminated within instants of the previous.

Does this answer your question?

Source:

Part of it is from my professional experience with Navy systems, the other is from NAVAL RADARS (Military Weapons)

Excellent explanation, buddy. Two thumbs up.

Umm, nop, not even close.

052D is old design and the last of the 052 platform that started with the Luhu in 1994. Type 055 is already being built.

Type055-Concept-02.jpg

Please don't ever quote me again.

I am surprised you do not know bigger gun has advantage in shore bombardment? Support amphibious expedition. A bigger calibre boast more submunition for anti aerial and a wider coverage/ umbrella. More damage is done with a bigger rounds. And big gun with longer calibre will means longer range.

actually, it is and it isnt, there are 2 school of throught at plays here

Indeed larger caliber gun would have more coverage per shot, but they would have less ammo capacity, as well as slower reload speed, thus not suitable to sustained accurate targetting like tactical support, the lazing party usually within range of large gun blast radius, so if I want to bring accurate hit on target, i would want a smaller caliber gun support

In short, I would want larger gun If i am still on the ship assaulting the beach, i want the naval gun to saturate the beach, detonating mine or defence or what not.

Once I landed, I want accurate continuous support, that where smaller cal naval weapon comes into play, cause i can get in closer to laze the target and have a better overall situational control and I can stay longer.

@Abingdonboy

I just mean the radar. Is the radar higher up make a significant difference, and if so, why does the Japanese design not have it.

Hi @Genesis ,

The Kolkata Class employes the EL – M2248 MF Star , which is an AESA that has multifunctional ability with robust multidirectional situational awareness capabilities. The arrays on it provide the ability to use its beam – Doppler capabilities – and have excellent ability to not only track surface, but also air targets and can do so with almost multiple dozen targets, and as I have read in electronic naval engineering manuals, up to 90 or 100+ at the same time. The location of the radar in , context to the Kolkata Class, is higher up because it gives it greater leverage to track air targets and longer range to track any air targets that may threaten the ship. This in mind, and I am only making a professional guess here, will be useful for the Kolkata class to operate as a robust anti-air platform. This does not take into consideration its abilities to engage surface and submerged threats through other systems such as the RBU-6000 Smerch-2 , which gives this ship excellent capabilities against submarine threats.

To answer your question (without getting to in depth, for security reasons, of course) --- the JMSDF already has one of the most advanced radar systems in fleets (in par with that of the USN and other navies) , we have ATEC (advanced technology command system that fields OYQ-11 ACDs, FCS-4A (for aaw), OQQ-22 (for asw), and the NOLQ-3D (for ew and also the OPS-20C radar system. This is employed in the new set of destroyers such as the Akizuki Class. I cannot go further into detail for security reasons.

There are different models , designs. Remember the saying, “There are many ways to skin a cat.”

Regards,
@Nihonjin1051

why does the Japanese design not have it.

We have played around with it , experimented. We have several training ships that have similar design:

DSC03562S1[1].jpg

DSC01556SA[1].jpg

DSC01521A[1].jpg

actually, it is and it isnt, there are 2 school of throught at plays here

Indeed larger caliber gun would have more coverage per shot, but they would have less ammo capacity, as well as slower reload speed, thus not suitable to sustained accurate targetting like tactical support, the lazing party usually within range of large gun blast radius, so if I want to bring accurate hit on target, i would want a smaller caliber gun support

In short, I would want larger gun If i am still on the ship assaulting the beach, i want the naval gun to saturate the beach, detonating mine or defence or what not.

Once I landed, I want accurate continuous support, that where smaller cal naval weapon comes into play, cause i can get in closer to laze the target and have a better overall situational control and I can stay longer.

@Abingdonboy

The 76 mm is also much better for anti aircraft / anti missile fire and they are actually quite effective against cruise missiles. Can't do that with a large gun.

The 76 mm is also much better for anti aircraft / anti missile fire and they are actually quite effective against cruise missiles. Can't do that with a large gun.

Type 052D uses 30 mm CIWS for anti missile role.

Obviousl

Obviously you pretty much stayed in the city center right? And of course you didn't visit the factories where people live in the factory dormitories and obviously you didn't go to the countryside where there are a couple hundred million poor people. Yeah, sounds to me like the most prosperous country in the world, I'll go to the chinese embassy tomorrow to apply for resident visa, thank you for the tip buddy.

Obviousl

Obviously you pretty much stayed in the city center right? And of course you didn't visit the factories where people live in the factory dormitories and obviously you didn't go to the countryside where there are a couple hundred million poor people. Yeah, sounds to me like the most prosperous country in the world, I'll go to the chinese embassy tomorrow to apply for resident visa, thank you for the tip buddy.

No I lived in suburb. China has very effective central planning. Very prosperous. 50 square meters of house for every Chinese family. Spectacular natural scenes.

Back
Top Bottom