What's new

The Glory of the Mughal Empire

I dont know how you define an "Emperor in the true sense of the word".
Because he was a terrible emperor.

-Most of his subjects were unhappy with him - ie Hindus and Sikhs.
-He started wars in all places. He could not win conclusively anywhere.
-In the constant warring, he was bankrupting the treasury. When he depleted the treasury he started giving away land pattas for life(which was not there before). All of this ensured his successors could not keep their hold.

By what stretch of imagination would you call him an Emperor in the true sense of the word? He is single handedly responsible for the end of the Mughal Empire.
Aurangzeb was truly the worst ruler of the Mughal Dynasty. He started the war against the Marathas of the Maratha Empire which led to the collapse of the Mughal Dynasty.

Not all these you listed are considered imperial by historians. Only Maurya, Mughal, and Maratha are usually considered imperial dynasties.
Are you kidding, the Guptas are considered to be right up there in everything. Golden age and all that.

Are you kidding, the Guptas are considered to be right up there in everything. Golden age and all that.

I already admitted I was mistaken.

Good that Indian schools stopped preaching Maugham history in most of them. We don't have to study history of those who looted and oppressed for generations.

Not all were looters mate, when Nader Shah sacked Delhi the Mughal emperor begged him to stop butchering the people. Literally begged the man, if that does not show some sort of attachment for the local idk what does.

India was always various tribes and countries warring against each other. Turkic Mughals, who were outsiders, were the first to subdue all of them and put the region in shape. I think Mughals are responsble for the concept of modern day India. They were the golden age of India in terms of economy, history, and culture. Without Mughals, Indian history can't be written.

In every Great Empires, there are some overly zealous rulers. In the Roman Empire, there was Commodus, Caligula, Nero. Araungzeb may have been a militant ruler, but the austerity and enlightened rule of previous Emperors should not be ignored.

Moreover if you judge Aurangzeb by his military stature, he was ferocious. He was brilliant when it comes to warfare.His biggest issue was that he took on the Muslim Shia sultanates in the extreme south of India and unnecessarily funded these wars despite the fact that these sultanates had mughals in them and were friendly to the Central command of Mughals more or less. He made too many enemies.

India was always various tribes and countries warring against each other. Turkic Mughals, who were outsiders, were the first to subdue all of them and put the region in shape. I think Mughals are responsble for the concept of modern day India. They were the golden age of India in terms of economy, history, and culture. Without Mughals, Indian history can't be written.
The funniest joke that I have ever heard

2006BD6470_emperor_babur.jpg

Portrait of Mughal Emperor Zahir ud-Din Mohammad (Babur) (1483-1530)

Remark: Is it me or does His Imperial Majesty Babur look very...East Asian in appearance ? And exceedingly fair skinned, too. :)

Moreover if you judge Aurangzeb by his military stature, he was ferocious. He was brilliant when it comes to warfare.His biggest issue was that he took on the Muslim Shia sultanates in the extreme south of India and unnecessarily funded these wars despite the fact that these sultanates had mughals in them and were friendly to the Central command of Mughals more or less. He made too many enemies.

Yes, indeed! He was renowned to use heavy cavalry ...mercilessly !

In every Great Empires, there are some overly zealous rulers. In the Roman Empire, there was Commodus, Caligula, Nero. Araungzeb may have been a militant ruler, but the austerity and enlightened rule of previous Emperors should not be ignored.
True, there are zealous rulers in every Empire, but there are always those who come after the zealous ones who salvage the situation.
This one was single handedly responsible ending the Mughal Empire.
He made every mistake possible to make. Lastly, he was the one who started wars against the Marathas, who eventually ended up beating the Mughals and replacing them, forming their own Empire.

Majority of Pakistani's like him solely because he was a Religious bigot who persecuted Hindus and Sikhs and because he was honest and did not take money from the treasury for himself, and waged wars. They completely blank out on the result of his actions which ended the Empire and arguably Muslim rule in India.
Good that Indian schools stopped preaching Maugham history in most of them. We don't have to study history of those who looted and oppressed for generations.
Not all were looters and oppressors. Some were very good, others were very bad. Its a mixed bag actually. And I agree with @hinduguy , regardless of good or bad, we must study all history.

Not all were looters mate, when Nader Shah sacked Delhi the Mughal emperor begged him to stop butchering the people. Literally begged the man, if that does not show some sort of attachment for the local idk what does.
I agree. Though after a couple of generations, Mughals were basically Indians/locals.

[
2006BD6470_emperor_babur.jpg

Portrait of Mughal Emperor Zahir ud-Din Mohammad (Babur) (1483-1530)

Interestingly there are many theories about these paintings and the physical stature of the mughals.
One theory is that these paintings are extremely 'Asian-looking' because they were made to the style of chinese miniature art which was endorsed by Babur. Another is obviously the fact that mughals were central Asian people:-):coffee:

Interestingly there are many theories about these paintings and the physical stature of the mughals.
One theory is that these paintings are extremely 'Asian-looking' because they were made to the style of chinese miniature art which was endorsed by Babur. Another is obviously the fact that mughals were central Asian people:-):coffee:

Central asian eh? Very interesting ! I never knew that. Will have to brush up into my early history of Mughal rulers...!

there were pan indian rules before mughals... pan indian mughals lasted around 120 years and they are the most recent ones.
they brought stability to India, however the shape of modern day India comes from british.

Back
Top Bottom