What's new

The Future of Kashmir? "Seven" Possible Solutions!

i think u need to revise ur knowledge of history! they kashmir dispute was just because of "raja" of kashmir!
I agree with you - If the Raja had decided well in advance to merge with India, we would not have landed up here.

But as far as the 'revision' part of your post goes, you revise a bit of the tabloid stuff they taught you in middle school about the conflict - Issue arose because of the pillage and murder by the goons sent over to 'wrest' Kashmir away from India, without any due process. It is that shortcut that we are suffering these last 6 decades.

So many ways to solve the problem and too many reasons to not solve the problem……this is Kashmir issue. Pakistan is giving ways to solve it and India is providing reasons to not solve it.

This issue will not be resolved until we have not learned the possible loss and benefit from both sides.

From Pakistan’s point of view, Kashmir is important in two ways…………..water and security. Both these issues are very sensitive from Pakistan’s view point and both are connected directly to its survival.

From Indian’s point of view, Kashmir is important from the political perspective (as what I understand, may be I am wrong)……….so for Pakistan, loss and gain both are consequential and for India……………..only loss is consequential, which India will not bear.

In my point of view the conclusion of this issue is that people from both sides should realize that as long as Kashmir issue is there, our future has no guarantee and has to generate a will to solve the issue and also to pressurize the govt. to conclude the issue…………because both countries are nuclear power (especially Indian people). Once the will is there……………..finding way is not impossible………….and to generate a will we must understand that the ultimate solution will be a war (and fellows I am seeing the doomsday just 10-15 years away by most, as India already is trying to stop our water and now this situation cannot last for many years).

I started reading this thread with the hope that Indians and Pakistanis could find a common ground and explore compromises; but now it is with sadness I see that most of this thread is full of accusations and counter accusations, personal attacks, hardened stances and general ill will.

As an Indian, here is my stance; I dont want India to give up Kashmir for the following reasons.
1. Loss of territorial integrity and land
2. A lost of prestige related to above
3. Jihadists and Terrorists able to operate on land that much closer to the Indian heartland.
4. Indian secular character - How can we claim to be a secular nation when we hand over our only Muslim state.
5. Loss of an important strategic region from a geopolitical perspective
6. The fact that it wont resolve anything; Pakistan will still continue to attack us by proxy.

But on the other hand a state of perpetual enmity with a neighboring country could have catastrophic potential consequences; and I am prepared to contemplate compromises; even painful ones that might consider loss of territory.

But here's the thing; as this thread as so clearly shown; there is so much hatred and bitterness. I can easily say; I dont trust Pakistanis. I dont mean to offend; I am sure all Pakistanis will say the same of Indians. Until there is trust; there can be no meaningful peace.

But I fear, looking at history, most territorial disputes are not solved by compromise and negotiation but much more likely by war and ethnic cleansing.

Any rising power never parts with any piece of land. That is a historical fact.

I see no reason India to do so. India is getting more powerful day-by-day and there is no reason to give away something that you already have in expectation of peace by suicide bombers. It does not work.

Even with a weak hand, India held Kashmir for 60 years, now why should India negotiate for terms less favorable to it?

If you guys dont make me the usual canon fodder and dont think of it as a India-Pakistan issue, think about it?

Which power has ever given any land - it never happens.

A amazing read would be US civil war. US was formed by 13 states on basis on ability to leave to union if the state ever chooses so. But apparently when many states ceded from it, Northern US didnot give it away, it conquered South.

Now take the US-South, do they feel the same about leaving the union. I dont think so, eventhough, they remember the old history.

If India wants to be a power in future, it has to project its confidence at any cost. A losing country does not become superpower, ever!

Last edited:
Today I feel in a bargaining mood, so here my solution to the Kashmir problem.

India gives up the Kashmir valley to Pakistan; but receives an equivalent amount of territory in either Sindh or in the Northern areas, Gilgit - Balistan. Given the Kashmir valley has a larger population and economy, this is a good deal for Pakistan territory vise.

Next, the muslims in the areas given to India should be resettled in the Kashmir valley, while the displaced Kashmiri pandits should take their place. That way there will be no reason to have a large military presence to guard over a disloyal population. Also since India will have territory both north and south of the Kashmir valley; it can act quickly , if ever the Kashmir valley is used as a base for an attack on India.

This even solves the Siachen glacier problem since this exchange of territory would bring it deep inside Indian borders!

Completely original thinking eh?

Today I feel in a bargaining mood, so here my solution to the Kashmir problem.

India gives up the Kashmir valley to Pakistan; but receives an equivalent amount of territory in either Sindh or in the Northern areas, Gilgit - Balistan. Given the Kashmir valley has a larger population and economy, this is a good deal for Pakistan territory vise.

Next, the muslims in the areas given to India should be resettled in the Kashmir valley, while the displaced Kashmiri pandits should take their place. That way there will be no reason to have a large military presence to guard over a disloyal population. Also since India will have territory both north and south of the Kashmir valley; it can act quickly , if ever the Kashmir valley is used as a base for an attack on India.

This even solves the Siachen glacier problem since this exchange of territory would bring it deep inside Indian borders!

Completely original thinking eh?

Not really, you are thinking in communal terms and that will be a failure what India stands for.

Moreover, you seem to have no idea of the ground realities of J&K by using terms like "disloyal" population. So basically no, you situation will not work.

I should have perhaps used the term 'hostile' population. And i was referring to the residents of Gilgit Balistan, who will definitely not give allegiance to the Indian state.

My post was meant to be lighthearted to be taken seriously (which might seem inappropriate), however my basic point is that we should look at this as a territorial issue, rather than a communal or human rights issue. No country in the world can be expected to voluntarily give up its territory; however we can be flexible if the other side is willing to compromise.

While secular ideals are good for India and essential for our prosperity and stability; Kashmir is a legacy from the time of partition; which probably does not have a solution if we stick rigidly to a secular framework.

Pakistani politician , ppl of pakistan , On this forum and else where..keep talking about solution to kashmir. so what is the solution?

Give all to Pakistan?

Then what happens to billions center has invested there and new 24,000 crore development package that Central govt is giving? ..will Pakistan pay that back with interest ? remember ... Only land transfer in history politically happened when USA bought Alaska from Russia ..?

And what about 20% Hindu population ..?..the demand is due to religious reasons right? and what about 15 Crore muslims in other parts of india..?

remember this dispute is diffrent from Palestine dispute.

Pakistani politician , ppl of pakistan , On this forum and else where..keep talking about solution to kashmir. so what is the solution?

Give all to Pakistan?

Then what happens to billions center has invested there and new 24,000 crore development package that Central govt is giving? ..will Pakistan pay that back with interest ? remember ... Only land transfer in history politically happened when USA bought Alaska from Russia ..?

And what about 20% Hindu population ..?..the demand is due to religious reasons right? and what about 15 Crore muslims in other parts of india..?

remember this dispute is diffrent from Palestine dispute.

This subject has been flogged to death here.

Upon its death, it has exhumed & flogged again and again.. of no avail.

J&K Facts
India controls 141,338 km2 (54,571 sq mi) ,
Pakistan 85,846 km2 (33,145 sq mi) and
China, the remaining 37,555 km2 (14,500 sq mi).

Pak and china both illegally occupying huge land mass that belong to J&K People,India. These guys talk as if their hands are clean. First let them surrender the occupied land to India, then we will discuss about the issues happenning in kashmir.
I wounder why-o-why Indians dont make much of FUZZ about Northern Areas, Azad Kashmir, Aksai Chin and the Trans-Karakoram Tract like what they do for Kashmir. If these guys are really concerned about the kashmire ppl then let them surrender their land to them first.

The only solution for Kashmir is to let the people decide in plebiscite what they want to do with their future.
1. Join Pakistan
2. Join India
3. Independence
while Pakistan and India accept the decision of people of Kashmir.

My solution.. pay $700 Billion ..buy Kashmir ..Amount is same as what America did to bail out its economy. If China has that money she takes it and then can gift it to Pakistan.

Obviously Pakistan does not have that money....

^^^ with that money India should spend on Advanced militarization and advanced space capabilities..and uplift all Indian poor... spend on economic prosperity of all Indians..

My solution.. pay $700 Billion ..buy Kashmir ..Amount is same as what America did to bail out its economy. If China has that money she takes it and then can gift it to Pakistan.

Obviously Pakistan does not have that money....

Your logic stinks jarnee.:angry: Ite like selling one of your family member to a businessman for comforting the rest in your family. Will you do it???

Back
Top Bottom