What's new

The financial rise of Riyadh and the Jeddah/Makkah region

8a77416876b1e62.jpg

I haven't been to Riyadh but I was in Jeddah recently. This was my first visit and the infrastructure and cleanliness of the city I saw was quite disappointing. It did not look for a moment I m in a very rich country. And I haven't even said anything about the airport yet! The worst I have seen in the world I have travelled so far.

@airmarshal

That type of the year.

This is why:

New Jeddah airport to be ready in 2015

• New%20airport%2C%20Jeddah_0.jpg

An interior view of the arrival area of the new airport in Jeddah.
JEDDAH: ARAB NEWS

Published — Thursday 30 May 2013

Last update 30 May 2013 6:23 am

Expansion works on King Abdulaziz International Airport are 45 percent complete, said Makkah Gov. Prince Khaled Al-Faisal. Prince Khaled expects the airport to begin operating in 2015.
During an inspection tour of the project, the governor was briefed on airport projects, which include works on transportation facilities, airport entrances, travelers’ lounges, the tower building, subways and parking lots.
“SR 27 billion was allocated for the first phase of the project that will accommodate 30 million passengers,” said Prince Khaled.
The airport buildings include 46 gates to accommodate 92 airplanes simultaneously, with more than 24,000 personnel working around the clock on weekdays.
The project is currently the biggest in Jeddah. Infrastructure works on sewage, flood prevention, desalinated water and electricity will be completed once the other projects are completed.
Prince Khaled said: “Major projects are progressing according to their time frame. This does not mean we have forgotten smaller projects. They have our support for full implementation.”
The new airport is one of the biggest in the Middle East and Asia, located on an area of 105,000 sq. meters and equipped with several service entities and facilities.
Expanding the airport was a necessity in light of the increasing number of visitors to Jeddah each succeeding year and the development of air travel services in the region and worldwide.
The General Authority of Civil Aviation (GACA) aspires to build one of the biggest and most important airports of the region in order to acquire a large share of transit and air travel market and become a hub linking East with West.

New Jeddah airport to be ready in 2015 | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

A lot of major (world-scale) projects going on in and around Jeddah right now. You will see the results in 5-6 years time. It will be amazing.

You can goggle those projects, from sports cities, new airports, new metro system, new railway system, whole industrial cities, new universities, biggest upcoming skyscraper etc.

I haven't been to Riyadh but I was in Jeddah recently. This was my first visit and the infrastructure and cleanliness of the city I saw was quite disappointing. It did not look for a moment I m in a very rich country. And I haven't even said anything about the airport yet! The worst I have seen in the world I have travelled so far.

Sorry bro, you must have been to the so-called old Jeddah :lol: We don't let aliens gawking into the modern one:

I'm glad to find out that you didn't like the airport. We are now moving to the newest which is almost done:

Oh and another thing. Every time we happen to be visited by your excellency, we get to hear the same old broken record. For The Lord's sake drop it :lol:

Sorry bro, you must have been to the so-called old Jeddah :lol: We don't let aliens gawking into the modern one:

Oh and another thing. Every time we happen to be visited by your excellency, we get to hear the same old broken record. For The Lord's sake drop it :lol:

Lol!!! :) :) :) :lol::lol::lol: what I said is what I saw.

Lol!!! :) :) :) :lol::lol::lol: what I said is what I saw.

I do agree with you on the Airport part though. The thing is that Jeddah Airport is extremely busy in all days per year as millions use it to travel locally, internationally from Jeddah to Mecca.

As for Jeddah, you should have gone to the modern City of Jeddah.

We often refer to old Jeddah as the quarantine :lol:

I do agree with you on the Airport part though. The thing is that Jeddah Airport is extremely busy in all days per year as millions use it to travel locally, internationally from Jeddah to Mecca.

As for Jeddah, you should have gone to the modern City of Jeddah.

We often refer to old Jeddah as the quarantine :lol:

:astagh:

Old Jeddah is awesome. It has a big chance of becoming a World UNESCO Heritage site as well. Consider all the upcoming and current, albeit small, renovation work as well.

Some neighborhood, often dominated by expats, are indeed poorer looking but it adds to the cosmopolitan feel of the city and charm some would say.

Scott Kelby's Jeddah Photowalk 09
by {HOOK}, on Flickr

Jeddah Historical Area 3
by {HOOK}, on Flickr

9421595977_b13b10aa4d_b.jpg

9424367954_859b896aeb_b.jpg

5396079821_4d92fbf2b8_b.jpg

6604371301_bd63dbb0a2_b.jpg

7066375361_c91c27fd19_b.jpg

4904884436_bdfc1b1cb7_b.jpg

7208957178_0027933913_b.jpg

8214931706_9079563c87_b.jpg

Of course historical Yanbu was as impressive sadly much of it is in a very bad state.

Anyway I know that most people and the youth especially want to see fancy new buildings and upcoming skyscrapers which will come. But neglecting the heritage was a very bad thing. Still much is left (overall in the country) but a lot has been lost or in bad shape. This goes for most of the ME.:hitwall:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom