What's new

The Attack on Pakistan's Erieye

...., but Saab told them that it would take them 4-5 months before they can deliver the parts (Probably because Saab 2000 is not in production anymore).

Spare parts for out of production aircraft are still manufactured by the OEMs, and are also freely available in the market through third party vendors. A common example being the A-310, long out of production but spares are still easily available. Saab 2000 might not be as popular as an A310, but still parts are pretty easy to find.

Actually with the kind of damage that we have heard about, a more appropriate term would be 'replacement of a whole section' and not spare part.

It is too difficult to repair an aircraft like this. The structural integrity is compromised.

The most detailed official statement came from the Defence Minister who said that there was damage to the nose cone of one SAAB - damage had been assessed and was deemed repairable in house although the aircraft would be sent abroad so repairs could be checked. No official source has ever confirmed any additional Saab as written off and no official source has given any more specific details than this or said anything to contradict this.
The rest are rumours mostly on forums like this. There are people on this forum who soon after the attack argued aggressively that two Saabs were toast and one badly damaged. They then changed to one destroyed and one damaged. Some of them are now desperately trying to prove one destroyed ----- like everyone else - you can make your own mind up.

So according to your assessment, Secretary Defense was spreading rumor and he is desperately trying to prove one SAAB is going to replace?

No official Source? Please stop lying, tell us the jaahil people, what does SEC DEF means when he said SAAB is going to replace? If damage was deemed repairable then how come SAAB is going to replace.

The desperation shown here is by you. Which is trying to purposefully ignore the Secretary Defense updated account of SAAB AWAC.

So according to your assessment, Secretary Defense was spreading rumor and he is desperately trying to prove one SAAB is going to replace?

No official Source? Please stop lying, tell us the jaahil people, what does SEC DEF means when he said SAAB is going to replace? If damage was deemed repairable then how come SAAB is going to replace.

The desperation shown here is by you. Which is trying to purposefully ignore the Secretary Defense updated account of SAAB AWAC.

Accusing people of lying is a bit strong. Don't be so sure of yourself based on one vague statement which lumped Mehran and Kamra together- wait for facts to emerge and then jump up and down with joy if justified. People were as adament as you are now, that 2 are 'toast' and one badly damaged - they were then aggressivly sure that one was destroyed and one damaged. Even giving great detail of how they could have been destroyed without smoke. One only damaged seems to be the accepted version now - incidentaly the same as the official version. Whether that one needs a replacent airframe or parts remains to be seen.

Spare parts for out of production aircraft are still manufactured by the OEMs, and are also freely available in the market through third party vendors. A common example being the A-310, long out of production but spares are still easily available. Saab 2000 might not be as popular as an A310, but still parts are pretty easy to find.

Actually with the kind of damage that we have heard about, a more appropriate term would be 'replacement of a whole section' and not spare part.

It is too difficult to repair an aircraft like this. The structural integrity is compromised.

Perhaps what needs replacing is any electronics in the nose cone. ie not any old spare part available commercialy for a SAAB 2000.

I see that Safriz has finally stopped insisting on his conspiracy theory! :P

People were as adament as you are now, that 2 are 'toast' and one badly damaged - they were then aggressivly sure that one was destroyed and one damaged. Even giving great detail of how they could have been destroyed without smoke. One only damaged seems to be the accepted version now - incidentaly the same as the official version. Whether that one needs a replacent airframe or parts remains to be seen

I can see that this post is somewhat towards me. Just to put in on record, I never said 2 destroyed, my point has always been, and still is one is destroyed.

Now if some people want to justify one destroyed by saying that it was damaged and deemed irreparable now after a few months, their choice.

And who says that it was without smoke? Their was smoke and fire reported on news channels, now why the video isn't available, I can explain that as well if you want.

And lastly, airframes don't get replaced.

Perhaps what needs replacing is any electronics in the nose cone. ie not any old spare part available commercialy for a SAAB 2000.

First make up your mind, whether it is nose cone or nozzle? There is only radar in nose cone, not any other component in nose cone. The other components behind it are not treated as part of nose cone.

Avionics are even more easy to find in the market than mechanical parts.

Anyway, it is good to see that atleast people have come to believe that one was damaged substantially rather than nothing damaged. It's only a matter of time that you believe the whole thing and things come out in the media.

I am not bothered much about it now, if you want to live in a fool's paradise about the sooper dooper PAF response, be my guest. I am leaving this topic for good now until something major comes out for your eyes.

Good bye Sir.

I can see that this post is somewhat towards me. Just to put in on record, I never said 2 destroyed, my point has always been, and still is one is destroyed.

Now if some people want to justify one destroyed by saying that it was damaged and deemed irreparable now after a few months, their choice.

And who says that it was without smoke? Their was smoke and fire reported on news channels, now why the video isn't available, I can explain that as well if you want.

And lastly, airframes don't get replaced.

First make up your mind, whether it is nose cone or nozzle? There is only radar in nose cone, not any other component in nose cone. The other components behind it are not treated as part of nose cone.

Avionics are even more easy to find in the market than mechanical parts.

Anyway, it is good to see that atleast people have come to believe that one was damaged substantially rather than nothing damaged. It's only a matter of time that you believe the whole thing and things come out in the media.

I am not bothered much about it now, if you want to live in a fool's paradise about the sooper dooper PAF response, be my guest. I am leaving this topic for good now until something major comes out for your eyes.

Good bye Sir.

Regarding 2 toasted etc - suggest you go back and read the posts by some members at the time of the attack. One is damaged - that was confirmed officilay at the time. I for one am not accepting it was damaged 'substantaily' untill we have specific official confirmation of this. Time will tell who is living in a fools paradise - those who are hoping for max damage or those who are hoping for minimum damage.

... those who are hoping for max damage or those who are hoping for minimum damage.

I am not hoping, nor are the other members with a like opinion.

It's about accepting the facts.

I would love to be proved wrong and shown that all AWACS are active and will be active and I would accept that wholeheartedly.

That is my clarification. Let's lay this to rest now because nothing substantial is going to come out of it.

Less than 100 SAAB 2000 were ever manufactured..The manufacturing lines stopped more than a decade ago,and currently less than 50 SAAB-2000 are operational,and most operators are the ones who had bought the aircraft in the hey days and have their own stockpile of spares...
PAF got their SAAB 2000 much later and while Rotable,expendable, consumable parts supply may be relatively easy albeit expensive,but a structural part such as nose cone,pressure bulkhead or the whole front portion isn't something sellers keep in stock and finding a replacement may have been difficult.
Even SAAB themselves are relying on commercial airlines' stockpiles for spare supply..
New distribution centre for Saab 340/2000 customers
We also have to look at the role PAF is using their SAAB-2000 for..Its a critical component of PAF air defense system,and while an airliner can wait for until spares have been sourced or manufactured and passengers can be flown via another flight..an AWACS has to fly when needed.
It is plausible that PAF is keeping the damaged SAAB-2000 as a "stockpile" of spares,so that spares are immediately available when required,and "replacing" it with J-090 or another SAAB-2000 which may be available at affordable cost as many airlines are now phasing out these planes...
@Hyperion..
Here here..i have another theory ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
That is my clarification. Let's lay this to rest now because nothing substantial is going to come out of it.

You are forgetting all the "Fun" we have been having by presenting our theories ;)

....but a structural part such as nose cone,pressure bulkhead or the whole front portion isn't something sellers keep in stock and finding a replacement may have been difficult.

Just to make it clear, nose cone does not constitute structure of an aircraft. It is a mostly fiber glass or composite material, not weighing more than a few kilos, and is taken off by a couple of screws. It is one of the most frequently changed parts of airplanes atleast commercial, due to bird strikes/FOD and lightning. The white thing at the front is a nose cone:

P1180160.JPG

plane_nose_cone.jpg

Front sections are never kept in stock, they are almost always scavenged from another aircraft (if they need to be replaced, rarely)

We also have to look at the role PAF is using their SAAB-2000 for..Its a critical component of PAF air defense system,and while an airliner can wait for until spares have been sourced or manufactured and passengers can be flown via another flight..an AWACS has to fly when needed.

That is why airforces (especially those like PAF) keep a huge supply of spares (comparing to other airforces and commercial).

It is plausible that PAF is keeping the damaged SAAB-2000 as a "stockpile" of spares,...

Ofcourse, they wouldn't just throw out the old plane if it is not fully blown to bits and pieces. The engines and other components of the P-3's were also scavenged.

You are forgetting all the "Fun" we have been having by presenting our theories ;)

Nah man, I had already presented mine on the day of the attack, so it's getting kind of boring as I keep my theory same!:D

Back
Top Bottom