Status
Not open for further replies.

RayKalm

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Iran

Turkey

The Islamic conquest of Persia (637-651) led to the end of the Sassanid Empire and the eventual decline of the Zoroastrian religion in Persia. However, the achievements of the previous Persian civilizations were not lost, but were to a great extent absorbed by the new Islamic polity. Islam has been the official religion of Iran since then, except short duration after Mongol raid and establishment of Ilkhanate. Iran became an Islamic republic after the Islamic Revolution of 1979.

Before the Islamic conquest, the Persians had been mainly Zoroastrian, however, there were also large and thriving Christian and Jewish communities. Eastern Iran (what is now Afghanistan) was predominantly Buddhist. There was a slow but steady movement of the population toward Islam. When Islam was introduced to Iranians, the nobility and city-dwellers were the first to convert, Islam spread more slowly among the peasantry and the dihqans, or landed gentry. By the late 11th century, the majority of Persians had become Muslim, at least nominally.
Though Iran is known today as a stronghold of the Shi'a Muslim faith, it did not become so until much later, around the 15th century. The Safavid dynasty made Shi'a Islam the official state religion in the early sixteenth century and aggressively proselytized on its behalf. It is also believed that by the mid-seventeenth century most people in Iran had become Shi'as, an affiliation that has continued. Over the following centuries, with the state-fostered rise of a Persian-based Shi'ite clergy, a synthesis was formed between Persian culture and Shi'ite Islam that marked each indelibly with the tincture of the other.

Nowadays Islam is the religion of 98% of Iranians, approximately 90% of Iranians are Shi'a and 8% are Sunni, mostly Turkomen, a minority of Arabs (mainly in Hormozgan Province), Baluchs, and Kurds living in the south, southeast, northeast and northwest. Almost all of Iranian Shi'as are Twelvers.

Arab Muslims conquests have been variously seen in Iran: by some as a blessing, the advent of the true faith, the end of the age of ignorance and heathenism; by others as a humiliating national defeat, the conquest and subjugation of the country by foreign invaders. Both perceptions are of course valid, depending on one's angle of vision… Iran was indeed Islamized, but it was not Arabized. Persians remained Persians. And after an interval of silence, Iran reemerged as a separate, different and distinctive element within Islam, eventually adding a new element even to Islam itself. Culturally, politically, and most remarkable of all even religiously, the Iranian contribution to this new Islamic civilization is of immense importance. The work of Iranians can be seen in every field of cultural endeavor, including Arabic poetry, to which poets of Iranian origin composing their poems in Arabic made a very significant contribution. In a sense, Iranian Islam is a second advent of Islam itself, a new Islam sometimes referred to as Islam-i Ajam. It was this Persian Islam, rather than the original Arab Islam, that was brought to new areas and new peoples: to the Turks, first in Central Asia and then in the Middle East in the country which came to be called Turkey, and of course to India. The Ottoman Turks brought a form of Iranian civilization to the walls of Vienna."

The Seljuk Empire (Turkish controlled Persian empire)

420px-Seljuk_Empire_locator_map.svg.png

The Sassanid Empire (Last Iranian/Persian Empire before Islam reached them)

Sassanid_empire_map.png

The Persian Empire (Before Islam reached the Iranians)

799px-Achaemenid_Empire.png

The Ottoman Empire (Turkish controlled Caliphate, last Caliphate of Islam)

250px-OttomanEmpireIn1683.png

This map is showing whole india in persian empire. What was the era of this empire?

This is just an overall of all the empires Iran controlled.

The reason the word "stan" is so common from India, to Kazakhstan, to Greece, to Egypt is because of mass Iranian influence.

according to wikipedia
Achaemenid Empire around 500 BCE(550-350BCE) shortly before its greatest extent under Darius

Thanks for the info i thought they never invaded all of india.

The Islamic conquest of Persia (637-651) led to the end of the Sassanid Empire and the eventual decline of the Zoroastrian religion in Persia.

Decline??? Annihilation is correct word.

Thanks for the info i thought they never invaded all of india.

Wrong Information, Persian never ruled/controlled India.

he Gupta Empire (Sanskrit: गुप्त साम्राज्य, Gupta Sāmrājya) was an ancient Indian empire which existed from approximately 320 to 550 CE and covered much of the Indian Subcontinent.[1] Founded by Maharaja Sri Gupta, the dynasty was the model of a classical civilisation[clarification needed].[2] The peace and prosperity created under the leadership of the Guptas enabled the pursuit of scientific and artistic endeavors.[3] This period is called the Golden Age of India[4] and was marked by extensive inventions and discoveries in science, technology, engineering, art, dialectic, literature, logic, mathematics, astronomy, religion and philosophy that crystallized the elements of what is generally known as Hindu culture.[5] Chandra Gupta I, Samudra Gupta the Great, and Chandra Gupta II the Great were the most notable rulers of the Gupta dynasty.[6] The 4th century CE Sanskrit poet Kalidasa, credits Guptas with having conquered about twenty one kingdoms, both in and outside India, including the kingdoms of Parasikas (Persians), the Hunas, the Kambojas tribes located in the west and east Oxus valleys, the Kinnaras, Kiratas etc.[7]

Vedic Civilization • 2000–500 BCE
-Black and Red ware culture • 1300–1000 BCE
-Painted Grey Ware culture • 1200–600 BCE
-Northern Black Polished Ware • 700–200 BCE
Maha Janapadas • 700–300 BCE
Magadha Empire • 684–424 BCE
Nanda Empire • 424-321 BCE
Chera Kingdom • c. 300 BCE–1102 CE
Chola Empire • c. 300 BCE–1279 CE
Pandya Kingdom • c. 300 BCE–1345 CE
Maurya Empire • 321–184 BCE
Pallava Empire • 250 BCE–800 CE
Sunga Empire • 185–73 BCE
Kanva Empire • 75–26 BCE
Maha-Megha-Vahana Empire • 250s BCE–400s CE
Kuninda Kingdom • 200s BCE–300s CE
Indo-Scythian Kingdom • 200 BC–400 CE
Satavahana Empire • 230 BCE–220 CE
Indo-Greek Kingdom • 180 BCE–10 CE

I don't see Persian empire here...

Wrong Information, Persian never ruled/controlled India.

he Gupta Empire (Sanskrit: गुप्त साम्राज्य, Gupta Sāmrājya) was an ancient Indian empire which existed from approximately 320 to 550 CE and covered much of the Indian Subcontinent.[1] Founded by Maharaja Sri Gupta, the dynasty was the model of a classical civilisation[clarification needed].[2] The peace and prosperity created under the leadership of the Guptas enabled the pursuit of scientific and artistic endeavors.[3] This period is called the Golden Age of India[4] and was marked by extensive inventions and discoveries in science, technology, engineering, art, dialectic, literature, logic, mathematics, astronomy, religion and philosophy that crystallized the elements of what is generally known as Hindu culture.[5] Chandra Gupta I, Samudra Gupta the Great, and Chandra Gupta II the Great were the most notable rulers of the Gupta dynasty.[6] The 4th century CE Sanskrit poet Kalidasa, credits Guptas with having conquered about twenty one kingdoms, both in and outside India, including the kingdoms of Parasikas (Persians), the Hunas, the Kambojas tribes located in the west and east Oxus valleys, the Kinnaras, Kiratas etc.[7]

Vedic Civilization • 2000–500 BCE
-Black and Red ware culture • 1300–1000 BCE
-Painted Grey Ware culture • 1200–600 BCE
-Northern Black Polished Ware • 700–200 BCE
Maha Janapadas • 700–300 BCE
Magadha Empire • 684–424 BCE
Nanda Empire • 424-321 BCE
Chera Kingdom • c. 300 BCE–1102 CE
Chola Empire • c. 300 BCE–1279 CE
Pandya Kingdom • c. 300 BCE–1345 CE
Maurya Empire • 321–184 BCE
Pallava Empire • 250 BCE–800 CE
Sunga Empire • 185–73 BCE
Kanva Empire • 75–26 BCE
Maha-Megha-Vahana Empire • 250s BCE–400s CE
Kuninda Kingdom • 200s BCE–300s CE
Indo-Scythian Kingdom • 200 BC–400 CE
Satavahana Empire • 230 BCE–220 CE
Indo-Greek Kingdom • 180 BCE–10 CE

I don't see Persian empire here...

Maybe they invaded india for a short time period and then gupta empire continued.

I am not mean to troll here, But when we talk bout history, we must talk other side of story as well. History is always written by winners, But there is a contemporary history which passed to generation by elders, sometime documented and sometime verbal.

Parsi or Parsee ( /ˈpɑrsiː/) refers to a member of the larger of the two Zoroastrian communities in South Asia, the other being the Irani community.
According to tradition, the present-day Parsis descend from a group of Zoroastrians of Iran who immigrated to India during the 10th century AD,[1] to avoid persecution by Muslim invaders who were in the process of conquering Iran.[2][3][4][5][6][7] At the time of the Arab invasion of Iran, the dominant religion of the region was Zoroastrianism. The Iranians rebelled against the Arab invaders for almost 200 years; in Iran this period is now known as the "Two "Centuries of Silence" or "Period of Silence".[8] After many failed attempts[9][10] to free the country from Arab domination, the Iranians were forced to either pay heavy taxes (Jizya) or to convert to Islam, the latter being the ultimate goal of the new rulers and thus the easier way.[11][12] During this time many Iranians who are now called Parsi rejected both options and instead chose to take refuge by fleeing from Iran to India.[13]

Source: Wikipedia +
^ Hodivala 1920, p. 88
^ Boyce 2001, p. 148
^ Lambton 1981, p. 205
^ Nigosian 1993, p. 42
^ Khanbaghi 2006, p. 17
^ Jackson 1906, p. 27
^ Bleeker & Widengren 1971, p. 212
^ ʻAbd al-Ḥusayn Zarrīnʹkūb (1379 (2000)). Dū qarn-i sukūt: sarguz̲asht-i ḥavādis̲ va awz̤āʻ-i tārīkhī dar dū qarn-i avval-i Islām (Two Centuries of Silence). Tihrān: Sukhan. OCLC 46632917. ISBN 964-5983-33-6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom