What's new

The Arabian Peninsula and Arab world in photos

@al-Hasani

do you have information on whether construction on the gulf rail project has started already.

Yes, a long time ago actually. At least from what I know about. They are building many new railways.

Iraq:

The Great al-Mutawakkil Mosque and Minaret of Samarra, Iraq by james_gordon_losangeles, on Flickr

Ukhaidir Abassid Palace and Mosque, Karbala, Iraq (and product placement) by james_gordon_losangeles, on Flickr

US Army soldiers, Ukhaidir Abassid Palace and Mosque by james_gordon_losangeles, on Flickr

14050555017_b3d29e1a3e_b.jpg

14213643266_a8171d72f4_b.jpg

tomb shrine of Imam Musa al-Kadhim and Muhammad al-Jawad (peace be upon them) Kadhimiya ... Baghdad Iraq .. Photography Rasoul Ali ضريح مرقد الامام موسى الكاظم ومحمد الجواد (عليهم السلام) الكاظمية ... العراق ..بغداد تصوير رسول علي

@1000

First of all welcome to the forum.

29vlzfd.jpg

http://www.saudirailways.org/portal...4_Expansion_Specification/06GCCRailwayProject

I see no reason why this cannot be connected with Iraqi railways. It all depends on the retards of the region in power as I see it.

I lost track of all those railways/infrastructural projects because there is also a lot of new highway construction for instance linking KSA with Oman etc.
A lot of new projects are being built in Iraq too and a lot of investments so it is good for the region.

Last edited:
I see no reason why this cannot be connected with Iraqi railways. It all depends on the retards of the region in power as I see it.

I lost track of all those railways/infrastructural projects because there is also a lot of new highway construction for instance linking KSA with Oman etc.
A lot of new projects are being built in Iraq too and a lot of investments so it is good for the region.

They can use conventional non maglev 360 km/h high speed trains, if you connect Turkey to the Gulf through Iraq most likely since they are working on the rails as well as you see in our thread that would improve many things.

Gulf railway will have 200 km/h trains running
Iraq HSR will have 250 km/h trains running, regular railway 160 km/h

If other trains able of 350 km/h can run on these same tracks they can go from the South of the Peninsula to Turkey, 200-250 km/h speed is too slow for the large distance. But depends on safety/border security & if they can agree on implementing such a 'strategic' project since that would be a link to Europe as well.

An earlier reason for no interests in connecting the railways was that trade would have an effect on some maritime ports not being used anymore, though the port of Rotterdam supplies all of the EU. Let's see what will happen with this, would like to see HSR for passengers mainly linking the countries.

They can use conventional non maglev 360 km/h high speed trains, if you connect Turkey to the Gulf through Iraq most likely since they are working on the rails as well as you see in our thread that would improve many things.

Gulf railway will have 200 km/h trains running
Iraq HSR will have 250 km/h trains running, regular railway 160 km/h

If other trains able of 350 km/h can run on these same tracks they can go from the South of the Peninsula to Turkey, 200-250 km/h speed is too slow for the large distance. But depends on safety/border security & if they can agree on implementing such a 'strategic' project since that would be a link to Europe as well.

An earlier reason for no interests in connecting the railways was that trade would have an effect on some maritime ports not being used anymore, though the port of Rotterdam supplies all of the EU. Let's see what will happen with this, would like to see HSR for passengers mainly linking the countries.

That is actually a clever proposal. They should implement that indeed. I have not followed the projects closely but would it not be too costly to change the speed midway through the project? Or is it not expensive to change that when completed?

As I see it there are 3 historical and main ports of the ME - even today. Those of Jeddah, Basra and Aden. Each connecting their own sea/waters. Maybe more will be used once the infrastructure will improve and connect the region with not only nearby Europe directly but remaining Asia and nearby Africa too. There have been talk about linking Egypt and KSA with a bridge, linking the ME with Eastern/Horn of Africa directly through a bridge connecting Yemen and Djibouti and all the other proposals. It will be interesting to see what will happen. I think that a top class railway, highway, sea and aviation connection is important for the development of the region and for the economic cohesion. If countries have close economic ties they will have few initiatives to be hostile to each other. It would also be very good for tourism since many tourists from across the world and region would use that infrastructure to see new parts of the world.

Such international and huge projects need political will and security (stability) though which could be a problem at least in the short term.

Back
Top Bottom