2pys410.jpg

2wohn9i.jpg

10n6xqr.png

Youngsters venturing in:

00542758.jpg

The Arabian Peninsula 4000 BC:

saudirivers.JPG

UAE_lake_24K_ft.jpg

Ancient 6,000 year old, Empty Quarter lake bed, seen from 24,000 feet, Google Earth image.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amazing video below:

I became captivated by Arabia's Empty Quarter as a young man when I read Wilfred Thesiger's Arabian Sands. The Empty Quarter is larger than France without a single permanent point of water or human habitation. It's both the world's largest sand sea and one of the hottest places on earth, and has only been traversed a handful of times. I didn't want to repeat Thesiger's epic journeys many decades later, but when I discovered motorized paragliding I found a way to visualize this remote landscape in a new way. I made three paragliding trips into the sands, first for GEO in Saudi Arabia, and then returned two years later to go from Riyadh to Oman and Yemen for National Geographic, and finally made a personal trip to the southern most reaches of the U.A.E. to complete my field work. What I found was one of the most beautiful and unseen wilderness on earth. On its fringes I encountered elements the oil wealth that has forever changed Arabia, but I also found Bedouins still clinging to traditions, and offering up a level of hospitality that was truly humbling. This body of work would simply not have been possible without their kindness.

Empty Quarter is George's second book, published by Harry N. Abrams. This is the most extensive compilation of photographs ever taken in the Arabian Desert. Measuring 9.5 x 13 inches, the book has 208 pages with 150 color photos and captions.

Simply amazing. I wish that I could post some of his photos from that book (apparently containing over 150 high quality photos) here that I have not seen and the photos on his homepage have copyright unfortunately.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

In other news:

Google Earth Reveals Thousands of Tombs in Saudi Desert | Saudi Archaeology & Tombs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saudi Arabia began setting aside land for protection of natural habitats, flora, and/or fauna in 1978. Currently, the National Commission for Wildlife Conservation & Development (NCWCD) manages 15 protected areas, which encompass 85,557 square kilometers (33,033 square miles).

These areas are:
  • Harrat al Harrah Reserve - Located in the north-central part of the Kingdom
  • Al Khunfah Reserve - Located in the northwest part of the Kingdom
  • Ibex Reserve - Located in the central part of the Kingdom, about 200 km (124 miles) south of Riyadh
  • Mahazat as-Sayd Reserve - This totally fenced-in reserve is located in western part of the Kingdom, approximately 150 km (93 miles) east of Taif, and adjacent to the Saja Um Al Rimth Reserve
  • Umm al Qamari Island Reserve - Located in the Red Sea off Al Qunfudah, which is located south of Jeddah and north of Jizan, approximately halfway between the two cities
  • Al Tubayq Reserve - Located northeast of Tabuk, in the northern part of the Kingdom, along the Syrian border
  • Farasan Islands Reserve - Located in the Red Sea, 40 km (25 miles) off the city of Jizan, along the southwestern coast of Saudi Arabia
  • Raydah Reserve - This small, 9-square-kilometer (3.4-square-mile) park is located adjacent to the Asir Mountains National Park a short distance outside of the coastal city of Jizan, in southwestern Saudi Arabia
  • Majami'al-Hadb Reserve - Located in the plains of the south-central part of the Kingdom
  • 'Uruq Bani Ma'arid Reserve - Located on the western edge of the Empty Quarter (Rub' al Khali)
  • Nafud al-'Urayq Reserve - Located in the central part of the Kingdom, northwest of Riyadh
  • At-Taysiyah Reserve - Located on the Summan Plateau of northeastern Saudi Arabia, south of the border with Iraq
  • Al Jandaliyah Reserve - Located in the northeastern part of the Kingdom, somewhat southeast of the At-Taysiyah Reserve
  • Saja Um Al Rimth Reserve - Located in western part of the Kingdom, approximately 150 km (93 miles) east of Taif, and adjacent to the Mahazat as-Sayd Reserve
  • Jabal Shadah Reserve - Located south of Taif, near the National Wildlife Research Center, on the outer edge of the Sarawat Escarpment in the Tihamah foothills
  • Jubail Reserve - This coastal/marine reserve is located on the Arabian Gulf, outside of the city of Jubail
The NCWCD has plans to recommend over 100 sites for protection.

Wildlife in Saudi Arabia

Lastly gentlemen do yourself a favor and spent 10-15 minutes reading this very interesting article below:

@Arabian Legend @JUBA @Bubblegum Crisis @Yzd Khalifa @Full Moon @Hadbani @Mosamania @Tihamah @BLACKEAGLE @Awadd @Altamimi @Rakan.SA @Halimi @ebray etc.

@al-Hasani where is that Dubai 27 place ??
and no body take me to Jumeriah beach resort :(
probably my elder brother is keeping me away from foreign chicks lolz :lol:

@rockstar08

The Madinat Jumeirah Hotel.

Haha, elder brothers tend to be protective.

UAE:

(This is seriously one of the best desert resorts out there. Located in the Rub' al-Khali in UAE. Amazing really.)

Back
Top Bottom