What's new

The 1965 Indo-Pak war

Status
Not open for further replies.
the point being?
Just to show that events occurring at small scale should also be taken into account while discussing the sector.

who here has family who fought in the war?

My grandfather was in Mechanized division at Kharian. His unit destroyed over 17 enemy armour units and also captured 4 indians who had escaped from the burning wreckage and try to ran away.

Reactions: s90
Subject: International Think Tank Ranks the World's Strongest Militaries

Well a very reputed International Think Tank released its annual rankings of the world's Strongest Militaries.

1 - United States of America
It's manufacturing capabilities coupled with sheer numbers, advanced technology and nuclear capabilities keep the US on top. 48/60

2 - Russia
Though dwindled since the Cold War, Russia's numbers and nuclear capabilities keep it on top as the second most powerful army in the world. 37/60

3 - Israel
Manpower, sheer numbers and experience rank the Israeli armies among the top in the world. 35/60

4 - Germany
Surprising to find Germany this high on the list but it maintains a stellar peacekeeping force for itself - plus it does not maintain any costly overseas stations. 33/60

5 - China
Overall numbers and the possibility of nuclear capability rank China high on the list, but the fact remains that most of the force is untested in global conflicts, their equipment remains dated and forced conscription takes its toll. 32/60

6 - France and Pakistan Tie
France maintains units for self-defence and peacekeeping missions of its former colonies. Other than that, its primary force is more for its own protection than anything else, having been invaded by Germany twice in the 20th century. Nonetheless, its nuclear capabilities, strong commitment to maritime and defense, and a steady military keep it in the top ten. 31/60

Pakistan's recent experience as a US ally and its build up against India help it score well. It combats internal terrorism regularly but none-the-less maintains support through the US. 31/60

7 - South Korea
Build up over recent years and following up on their own military technology avenues, South Korea is a major player in todays military world. It's support from the US doesn't hurt its ranking either and the provided equipment and training gives it an edge over its northern aggressor. 30/60

8 - Iran
Iran's manpower and supposed nuclear capability rank it in the top ten, but its dated equipment and lack of recent experience bring it out of the top 5. 29/60

9 - India
The build up against Pakistan continues but the Indian armies use dated equipment and lack any recent major military engagements. Nuclear probablity helps its rank. 29/60

10 - UK (Britain)
Once a strong proud world power, the UK maintains a simple fighting force keeping the US as a major ally. It has allocated units in a few global hotspots. 27/60

11 - North Korea
Kim's military build up has been impressive and rumors of a nuclear program help its ranking but none-the-less outdated equipment, non-experienced troops and forced military service hinder its ranking. 27/60

12 - Italy
Italy maintains a strong fighting force and delves more into peacekeeping initiatives than anything else. It remains an average military power at best. 23/60

13 - Greece
Greece's spot as a military power is impressive to some degree. Its build up is more for self-defence and protection (presumably against Turkey) than an offensive-minded force. 23/60

14 - Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia is busy combating internal terrorism as a US ally than needing to do much else with its forces. The territory is vast but made of mostly uninhabitable desert, leaving the pipelines and major cities as the only needs of protection. A few border disputes keep other forces away from potential interior hotspots. Equipment remains mostly US in origin, training is avergae and recent experience is mostly relegated to special forces and police units. 23/60

15 - Spain
Other than defending against internal Muslim fanatics, Spain maintains a strictly defensive and peacekeeping force. It removed its forces from Iraq after recent elections and has not seen any since. 22/60

16 - Australia
A capable fighting force with good training, the Australian ranking is low due to numbers and lack of nuclear capability. It assists in peacekeeping missions across the globe and keeps an interest in the Indonesia area. 21/60

17 - Syria
The Syrian army is typical of other Middle Eastern forces - outdated equipment and limited recent military experiences. 21/60

18 - Egypt
See Syria above, though some modernization is occurring. 20/60

19 - Turkey
It's formidable numbers help its ranking but internal unrest, some outdated equipment and lack of a nuclear arsenal bring its ranking down. 20/60

20 - Japan
A shadow of its former dominant World War 2 self, Japan maintains a simple Self-Defense force. It currently sees more peacekeeping missions than anything else. 20/60

21 - Taiwan
The buildup to prevent the invetable Chinese invasion continues. Taiwan would naturally rely on help from the US and the international community in the event of an invasion as it maintains a small defenseive force populated by US equipment and support. 19/60

22 - Canada
Canadian fire power is minimal at best and is striclty used for self-defense with the occasional peacekeeping mission. 17/60

23 - Indonesia
Recent Muslim insurgency have left this area of the world a hotspot to watch. The Indonesian army is capable but could be stretched too thin. 16/60

24 - Brazil
No major war in nearly 100 years yet Brazil maintains a large army. The country itself has a large area to cover in military defense. Some border disputes and drug-running are the major action that it could see.

What took you so long to find another idiotic list,which has pakistan higher ranked than india???.....itching to start another flame war,huh?.,......wait a minute,let me find a similar list with us allotted the same rank!!!

there is smoke!!!!!!!!!
You better post that in your own Indian forums. i wont object.

there is smoke!!!!!!!!!
You better post that in your own Indian forums. i wont object.

if you have any problems bout me posting here contact the mods!!!.......they will clear things up to you,and why i said the list was idiotic,search the forum u may see many such threads locked by the mods....,they can clear stuffs up in a better way........

okay cool down you have every right here just dont take it on heart. i love to see indians here. it helps me understand what and how they think. i know there are many lists and every list has some criteria and no list can be said perfect. of course there are many things to take into account. the purpose of my post was that i expected someone will react and say whats wrong in the list. some professional comment. now you would say its not the thread for that. i would say yes but the thread was moving in a such a direction that posted it here.

Ok,but i suggest you to search this very forum itself and see how experts here feel of those and compare the forces......i just thought,as this kind have already been discussed many times and interestingly turned into flamed wars,it might be better for you to go through the already discussed threads.....regards

who here has family who fought in the war?

My grandfather was in Mechanized division at Kharian. His unit destroyed over 17 enemy armour units and also captured 4 indians who had escaped from the burning wreckage and try to ran away.

Still have some memorabilia of the Bata Factory on the outskirts of Lahore ( ?)& registers ( written in Urdu) of Police Satation , Barkee , Lahore Distt - souvenirs of ' 65 brought by dad.

Here are some of the links:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom