What's new

Thailand: Buying high-speed rail with rice

ChineseTiger1986

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
_70402092_chtrain158716617.jpg

Thailand is to hand over rice and rubber in part-payment for its new high-speed rail system, it's reported.

The country's transport minister is expected to formally agree the barter deal with Chinese premier Li Keqiang on Friday, according to the Nation. The project to link Bangkok with Nong Khai, close to the Laos border, is part of a proposed 2m baht ($30bn, £19bn) infrastructure investment programme to part-financed with agricultural products. The railway is one day envisaged to link Thailand with the Southern Chinese province of Kunming, via the Laos capital Vientiane.

However, fine details remain to be thrashed out between the countries. The Bangkok Post says even the transport minister isn't optimistic of the scheme's success. It also quotes a State Railway of Thailand official as saying red tape would get in the way and pointing out that a 2005 deal to buy diesel locos, freight wagons and spares with dried lamyai (a lychee-like fruit) and rice was finally scrapped this year, when the Thai government coughed up the cash instead.

BBC News - Thailand: Buying high-speed rail with rice

My family and I consume, on average, one sack(10kg)of Hom Mali(jasmine rice from Thailand)a year。

Personally,I prefer the sticky variety from Northeast China to Thai rice。:)

My family and I consume, on average, one sack(10kg)of Hom Mali(jasmine rice from Thailand)a year。

Personally,I prefer the sticky variety from Northeast China to Thai rice。:)

but seriously (i am not joking) , world best quality rise is in Pakistan, Pakistani basmati rise is best ,

for us which doesn't get sticky is good quality

You guys ever tried cooking Thai rice in a bamboo? That stuff is heavenly.
When I was in China, I ate mostly Northeast rice. Only when I got into the US and went to a Thai restaurant did I ever try a Southeast rice. Thai waitress is very welcoming and respectful and offered rice in a bamboo with shrimp and fish, it was the most delicious dinner I had.

Jasmine rice is alright, and it's a staple food for me, but I prefer sticky rice, since they are more softer and easier to use on chopstick.

but seriously (i am not joking) , world best quality rise is in Pakistan, Pakistani basmati rise is best ,

for us which doesn't get sticky is good quality

pakistan NATIONAL BASMATI RICE in taobao china cost only 88 yuan for 5 kilos.
this price level is far away from the best.

at first I actually thought Thailand was going to pay the rice itself, as in send 10 cargo boats worth of rice.

Jasmine rice if you add more water, it will come out really soft.

I love jasmine rice, Northeast /japanese or korean, basmati rice, I'm a 饭桶

seriously i didn't know about jasmine Thai rice, i use to visit Thailand ones in year ,

this time will try jasmine rice

Back
Top Bottom