What's new

TF-X Turkish Fighter & Trainer Aircraft Projects

Well, I am quite a s**t poster myself. It’s just that I mostly keep analytical content separate from lame memes.

Additional insights I posted on another forum:

View attachment 921531

View attachment 921532
View attachment 921533
View attachment 921534
View attachment 921535
A bit of clarification on what I meant. Having a nose pitot would interfere with the radar to some extent, and once a fifth gen is ready to test the radar it is removed for distributed air speed probes. Not saying that the radar is ready but there technically isn’t anything stopping them from putting one in.

On the contrary, this indicates that the MMU prototype is quite far from first flight. The big pitot probe is seen on every single new fighter's first flight because the air data system is not yet calibrated and the pitot needs to be as far as possible from the distorted air flow as possible to ensure that the FBW FCS is getting accurate data.

After the first few dozens of flights, once chase aircraft validate the air data on the prototype is accurate, then the big pitot probe can be removed.

On the contrary, this indicates that the MMU prototype is quite far from first flight. The big pitot probe is seen on every single new fighter's first flight because the air data system is not yet calibrated and the pitot needs to be as far as possible from the distorted air flow as possible to ensure that the FBW FCS is getting accurate data.

After the first few dozens of flights, once chase aircraft validate the air data on the prototype is accurate, then the big pitot probe can be removed.
My theory is that it doesn't have a pitot tube because it's a ground test prototype that's not going to fly lol

My theory is that it doesn't have a pitot tube because it's a ground test prototype that's not going to fly lol

Nope, ground test prototype doesnt have engine.

All prototypes will be tested on ground as well, the first flying prototypes needs to undergo many ground test before its maiden flight based on international standard. This plane will need to get type certificate, just like other planes if it follows international procedures.

Something strange about TFX program that I still dont understand is that they make the prototype even before CDR is completed, based on TAI plans CDR completion is still several years from now

This is why I said that political agenda has intervene the program that will not be good thing for the program itself.

Nope, ground test prototype doesnt have engine.

All prototypes will be tested on ground as well, the first flying prototypes needs to undergo many ground test before its maiden flight based on international standard. This plane will need to get type certificate, just like other planes if it follows international procedures.

Something strange about TFX program that I still dont understand is that they make the prototype even before CDR is completed, based on TAI plans CDR completion is still several years from now

This is why I said that political agenda has intervene the program that will not be good thing for the program itself.
I don't know, I'm seeing conflicting information some information says that this prototype will never fly, that first flight would be after CDR but they also said it will fly this year

Political agenda is interfering with the program that is %100 real, but also we're in kind of a rush after getting booted from the F35 program. We were very relaxed before, I was even suggesting cancelling TFX in favor of a commercial jet that would bring in more money to the economy.

I don't know, I'm seeing conflicting information some information says that this prototype will never fly, that first flight would be after CDR but they also said it will fly this year

Political agenda is interfering with the program that is %100 real, but also we're in kind of a rush after getting booted from the F35 program. We were very relaxed before, I was even suggesting cancelling TFX in favor of a commercial jet that would bring in more money to the economy.
P0 will not fly. It was never meant to fly and it will not fly.

Ideally all platform should be pursuit, transport, UCAV, fighter for the sake of self sufficiency in defense sector. That is also the one that my country aim for. We still lack on engine, but we have made long term plan for this, this is why Indonesian Aerospace has subsidiary company in turbine business (PT Nusantara Turbin dan Propulsi), the company is first created in 1998 when Habibie, former Indonesian Aerospace Director/founder of the company, become President. Before it is only a division within Indonesian Aerospace specializing in aero engine.

As long as the company still healthy financially, I think it is necessary to do ambitious goal particularly since Indonesian Aerospace and TAI are both state owned enterprises, so they are not too much profit oriented company.

Bringing more money to the economy can be done in other industries

Last edited:
Ideally all platform should be pursuit, transport, UCAV, fighter for the sake of self sufficiency in defense sector. That is also the one that my country aim for. We still lack on engine, but we have made long term plan for this, this is why Indonesian Aerospace has subsidiary company in turbine business (PT Nusantara Turbin dan Propulsi), the company is first created in 1998 when Habibie, former Indonesian Aerospace Director/founder of the company, become President. Before it is only a division within Indonesian Aerospace specializing in aero engine.

As long as the company still healthy financially, I think it is necessary to do ambitious goal particularly since Indonesian Aerospace and TAI are both state owned enterprises, so they are not too much profit oriented company.

Bringing more money to the economy can be done in other industries
Ideally we should all be pursuing the highest economical output, focusing on projects that would grow the economies of our countries

In an ideal world, TAI would be making passenger planes, Roketsan would be making space rockets and Aselsan would be making consumer electronics like Samsung. But we must live with the realities of the geography we're in. Turkey must be self sufficient in military hardware because geopolitics demand it.

It is the unfortunate reality of the world that we can't rely on anyone, even our so called allies.

And maybe that's the point, maybe they don't want competition in the economic scene so they force us to make our own weapons. Who knows.

P0 will not fly. It was never meant to fly and it will not fly.
Ultimately, nobody knows

That timetable is no longer up to date. GTU-0 will fly this year, Block 10 will fly in 2025.
Starting the flight testing earlier sure would be good, but what's the given reason for the change?

Or why was this not considered earlier?

Starting the flight testing earlier sure would be good, but what's the given reason for the change?

Or why was this not considered earlier?
The date was brought forward as a result of the gathered simulation data. The team was made aware that they could fly an airframe in 2023. So TAI decided to use GTU-0 (originally a ground test prototype) to perform the maiden flight. The reason why you don't see a boom on the radome is traced to the sudden change of plans. They will eventually be added later on, just before the maiden flight. With the completion of CDR, production activities of Block 10 will commence. We expect little to no visual differences, but you will be able to notice the internal changes I believe.

Back
Top Bottom