What's new

Testing closed system theory on Taliban do they need foreign money?

Thank You ! :)

But to be brutally honest, I don't see that happening !

Our own People don't trust us & our ability to manage Perception is a skill that we know next to nothing about & more so we criminally assume that it doesn't matter - Just look to '47, '48, '65, '71, the Afghan Jihad, Siachin, Kargil etc. etc. etc. - Better nations have spun admirable stories out of more testing events to their advantage !

We can't & we don't want to ! I don't see any active appreciation of 'Perception Management & Counter Propaganda' in our Military Top Brass or our Civilian Executive - Their approach, as I've understood it to be, 'Koi mantaa haii tou maneiii warnaaa bhaaaar meee jaiii...!'

I say learn from India, Israel, US & quite a few countries - They all lie & then lie some more & they all have whole fossils in their closets, never mind, wee little skeletons & yet they're able to spin such a good story to minimize their potential harm & maximize any benefit that can be accrued from that !

I agree, Arm, realistically it seems improbable that we will learn from our mistakes (PML-N reelection!) India did learn, Israel is more like a model state for us to follow no matter how much we hate them. Yet, Arm, we should not stop in trying to do what is right you never know the next key person might stumble upon your or my word and act upon it. So let's be vigilant and hopeful.

@jaibi thank you for writing such a nice report and sharing it with us.
I might not have the quantitative data to share with you here as you have.
I have argued with many on & off the forum that Foreign funding is just a piece in a jigsaw puzzle, if you think taking away such a piece than puzzle will be incomplete than you are overlooking the trump card they have.
Presence of Militant organizations in karachi is not a hidden fact, many of them are involved in protection money, kidnapping, extortion, and weapons smuggling. How else do you think weapon is landing in Karachi?
Moving towards north I personally know people who received threats from Taliban to pay up or family member will be kidnapped. In few cases, vehicles were stolen and returned only when the owner paid 3-4 lakh. they would return the vehicle undamaged.
Then comes the charity money, well saying that donations are being made only in Pakistan would be an understatement because muslims from UK, France, US love to donate to their local mosques. The funding necessarily is not generated through donations in monetary terms but from old household items i.e toys, clothes, shoes etc. Such charity organizations would drop the collection bags at homes in UK and than send it off to third world countries, that includes Pakistan. THe middle man makes his cut and there lands the funding for some of the projects.
I am not saying every chartiy out their is like this but some of them are involved in such businesses.

Talking about foreign funding than let me share that few months ago, in order to curb money laundering State bank imposed that anyone selling any amount especially Dollars worth 5000$ at the local money exchange they will have to give their ID card copy, and it was the duty of Money exchange owner to maintain a record of such transactions.
However at the start of this year that amount has been lowered down to 2500$.

Btw I can see you overlooked the Hawala System in your report, you should add that too, how they are using hawala system for the transfer of funds.

Regards

An interesting read here that should tell us more about Organizational structure of TTP. It should be noted that just 2 weeks ago, TTP recruited Charted Accountants to overlook the financial matters

TTP demands ?protection money? - DAWN.COM

http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-News-4-180458-Karachis-security-to-weaken-if-Taliban-not-confronted
@jaibi there is an article from Economist on Hawala System and Terrorism in Pakistan that I want to share with you but unfortunately Economist webpage is down

Thank you for reading my article, balixd, I really appreciate your input. It is saddening for me as a Pakistani to see that so many people from all walks of life actually do not believe that the Talibs are not a controlled bot working for a 'greater game' but more probably a cancer that feeds off our society's wounds that we refuse to clean up and that is why I wrote this piece. I too know of a few families that have received threats of kidnappings from the Talibs and they even have the audacity to threaten an armed forces officer that I know. Despite such open secrets we choose to shut our eyes and so many people pay the price.

Now, the State Bank system, balixd, I have a problem with such mentality, see all our officers can think of doing is impose this law or that law or this system or that one; however, the problem is in the inefficient centralisation of governance that is pervasive throughout our civics structure. Wherever the office or the officer is present, authority exists, if you can escape the two you can escape the authority, that's how our country works and we all know how easy it is for people with the means to escape the office and the officer! This mentality is of the British Raj that saw us more of subjects than citizens and so does our government. I say we need to change this philosophical base entirely by moving more effectively towards a federating unit, the Pakhtuns would know better than a Sindhi how to enact and enforce laws that would work in a small village near Wana and the urban heart of Peshawar and so would a Sindhi know better on how to clamp down on violent gangs in Karachi.

I actually borrow this concept from Psychology where there is a thing called 'empowered solution focus' that basically entails the Psychologist helping a client realise what the problem is and then making him realise what powers they have to solve and from personal experience I've seen that the clients swiftly solve their problems. I mean I'm Lahori, I know which areas to avoid at night, I know which guy is probably dealing in drugs, I know which car probably is moving something shady. If I could pass an exam and be inducted in the Lahore Police force I would swiftly bring things under control, rather than that I am posted to Peshawar where I do not know the landscape. The State has the greatest power it is about time we realise that.

Anyways, I think I went off into a tangent, thank you for posting the articles, I will definitely read them and yes I did skip the Hawala system though the articles I refer to go into the details of the system. I basically did so because the focus of my study was not on revenue generation but the possibility of it being enough to sustain operations, though I agree I should have included it to elaborate more on the former phenomena.

Thanks again for the comments!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes , it should - leave the Islam completely part for the common Pakistani to decide in democratic elections and not on gun point because so far the response has been in negative . Pakistan must follow a neutral foreign policy with no influence of the Americans or the Arabs or the delusional Ummah unless it wants to remain in the same state forever , I agree again . But the logic of killing Pakistanis because ' Muslims are being killed elsewhere by the U.S. and the West ' is absurd and totally ridiculous for a rational and sane person . If one were to use his God given brain , he would realize that Muslims have killed Muslims themselves than the Americans ever have . The terrorists hideouts and HQ - the Madarsas , actually . Not just the sacred and respected religious institution , it once used to be .
Sir if they will not it people will do it on their and that would be revolution and that can be real deadly one Sir and USA has killed Muslims Sir in Iraq in Afghanistan in Palestine Sir and and to this day they are killing Muslims Sir and they would pay the price for it and those secular who support these terrorists they would be wiped out

Sir if they will not it people will do it on their and that would be revolution and that can be real deadly one Sir and USA has killed Muslims Sir in Iraq in Afghanistan in Palestine Sir and and to this day they are killing Muslims Sir and they would pay the price for it and those secular who support these terrorists they would be wiped out

Our 'Muslim' brothers have killed 50,000 Pakistanis, most of them Muslims and still the enemy is the USA? Please wake up.

Our 'Muslim' brothers have killed 50,000 Pakistanis, most of them Muslims and still the enemy is the USA? Please wake up.

Yes enemy is USA they attacked Afghanistan they attacked Iraq twice they support Israel for mass murder of palestinians they support India on Kashmir and your government is nothing but their paid touts

Yes enemy is USA they attacked Afghanistan they attacked Iraq twice they support Israel for mass murder of palestinians they support India on Kashmir and your government is nothing but their paid touts

If you are a Pakistani then they are also your government. Secondly, your 'brothers' the great Muslim warriors don't seem to have enough intelligence to be able to tell who's Muslim or not because they have killed more Muslims than Americans and Israelis.

If you are a Pakistani then they are also your government. Secondly, your 'brothers' the great Muslim warriors don't seem to have enough intelligence to be able to tell who's Muslim or not because they have killed more Muslims than Americans and Israelis.

No I don't consider traitors as my government who betrayed Muslims from around the world became USA touts murdered our brothers and those who have been killed by daddy of our secular traitors are far more than what Muslims have killed each other and many of that is because our governments are touts of USA

Financing Terror: Testing the Closed-system Theory

Introduction

Most Pakistanis believe that Terrorism and terrorist activities are a part of a wider ‘game’ and politics. India, America, Afghanistan, Iran, Saudi Arabia and a nexus of other alliances are often held responsible in the media and collective conscious of the people are responsible for providing the terrorists with funding and logistical support to attack Pakistan and operate within Pakistan.
On the other side of the spectrum it has been noted that terrorist organisations in other parts of the world have operated in what can now be called as a ‘in-system’ or ‘closed-system’ economy (Dalyan, 2008; FATF-GAFI, 2008). Essentially what it means is that the terrorist organisations invest considerably in a relatively stable economic infrastructure which supports their operational capabilities much like economies that focus on isolation in terms of capital generation capabilities (Clarida, Gali, & Gertler, 2001; Vlachos, Georgiadis & Iakovou,2007).

The main sources of income for the organisations are stated to be as follows: state-sponsership, criminal enterprise, regular enterprise and private support. Most Pakistanis favour the first ‘state-sponsership’ as the main source of funding for terrorist operations within their own country however it should be noted that empirically the evidence for this type of funding has decreased Bantekas, 2003; Clunan, 2006; Hardoin & Weichhardt , 2003). This is in part due to the difficulty the post-9/11 legislation poses to moving large finances (see, FATF-GAFI report for a detailed description of financial operations of terrorist organisations).

The next source seems to have taken precedence and there seems to be a logical tactical advantage to that as well (Brigadier Shahid, personal communication, 2013) for it should be noted that direct control over the economic infrastructure enhances the operational capabilities of an entity (Sanderson, 2004).

Taking this strategy a bit further it should be noted that there have been cases of a ‘nexus’ amongst criminal and anti-state organisations for both share a number of features namely, the opposition to state hold, a preference for a lower law and order hold on operational areas, intimidation of local populace where operations are carried out and state independent economic holdings (Sanderson, 2004).

Thus, expounding this theory further it should also be noted that once generation and sustainance of funding reaches a certain level a small organisation looks to invest and diversify its holdings and sources of income (Narula, 2002) this is why some theorists have pointed out that terrorist organisations most probably support legitimate businesses and use it for ‘white-washing’ and ‘asset management’ (Napoleoni, 2004) whereas there is a possibility of using it as recruitment grounds as well.

An interesting note is also on the use of charities for financing terrorism though in the present times (2013) it is most likely used more for asset management than revenue generation (author’s opinion).

Research Questions

Taking into account the hidden nature of the data this study aims to put to the test the closed-system theory. The research questions of this study are as follows:

i. Can the cost of organisational expense of terrorit organisations be be explained by closed-system ?

ii. Is the closed system economy adequate for sustaining terrorist operations in Pakistan?

iii. Can the terrorist incidents pattern be explained by closed-system economy?

Cost of a terrorist operation

It is hard to measure the financial cost of executing a terrorist operation mostly due to the fact that most of the raw materials are procured via the black market which is difficult to analyse in terms of economics. However, projective costs have been estimated by various studies and for the purpose of this study the cost per terrorist operation will be taken into account as USD 10,000 (Reese, 2009) This is because of the dearth of studies on financial cost of terrorist operations within Pakistan and because the above stated figure is internationally agreed upon minimum cap for international strikes thus it makes sense to cap it as such as most probably the cost is lower than that in Pakistan (Brig. Shahid, personal communication, 2013).

Organisational expense

The terrorist organisations in Pakistan are organisations and it is natural that they operate like one. Every organisation has a cost of existing which is also called organisational expense, it includes the cost of running day to day operations of the organisation. Though there is not a comprehensive model of the organisational structure of the terrorist organisations in Pakistan there is a high probability that they emulate the organisational structure of the 1980s raised original Mujahideen groups against the Soviets for most of their training was received in such formations (Nawaz, 2009). Thus, the organisational model of the focus of this study, the Taliban of Pakistan, is modelled on the Afghani chapter of the Taliban (see Afsar, Samples & Wood, 2008) with almost 8 major departments of functioning with 10% going as running costs (Afsar, Samples & Wood, 2008; Harrison & Price, 2002)

Closed-system economies

The studies on closed system economies suggest that there is a probable variation of about 15% in the overall economic revenue generated by closed-systems that figure will be taken into account. As per most preliminary analysis of the financial infrastructure of the Pakistani terrorist organisations, specifically the TTP, suggests that their revenue generation capabilities have not been greatly perturbed by the military operations against them. In fact they have focused more on diversifying the economic arm of their infrastructure as the civilian component and administration of the counterinsurgency programme has not been up to the mark forcing the military to establish control multiple times on territories already cleared of militants (Nawaz, 2009; 2011). Thus, allowing the Taliban to change tactics and focus revenue generation elsewhere in the nation with heavy investing in criminal enterprises (Walsh, 2012).
Thus, there is considerable support for the agreed upon figure of 15% fluctuations in the revenue of terrorist organisations, specifically the Taliban.

Revenue of the Pakistani Taliban

For the purpose of this study the revenue of the Taliban would be taken as USD 200 million (Mufti, 2009) though there have been figures going as high as USD 500 million and as low as USD 100 million, it seems to hold the average from USD 200 Billion of narcotics trade with respect to the region (Ansar, work in progress, 2013).

Data and results
Number of terrorist attacks and death toll in Pakistan by year (accessed from Wikipedia and other news sources online)
216 in 2012 (cost = USD 2610000)
65 in 2011 (cost = USD 650000)
157 in 2010 (cost = USD 1570000)
139 in 2009 (cost = USD 1390000)
92 in 2008 (cost = USD 920000)

Number of terrorist attacks 2008-12

Running of TTP

With an average of running cost of USD = 160 million accounting for the projected 8 departmental divisions (which includes reinvestments) the Taliban have USD= 40 million to fight the Pakistan military and execute attacks in Pakistani soil. The total cost of operations in 2008-12 comes to USD= 7140000 (7.1 million), the average per annum to USD = 1428000 (1.4 million). This leaves the organisation a comfortable capital to shift around, counter a near-conventional battle against the Paksitani military and even invest in recruitment projects or expansion.

Implications
The figures are surprisingly high but help to explain the success that the Taliban have enjoyed so far. Even if the figures are not accurate, even by the authors own accounts, they are based on real figures and the actual picture is not far from this one. Even if the figures are above the actual figures (though the author chose the lowest figures available for revenue and highest for spending) it does lend support to the original research questions that the study poses.
There cannot denying that there might be a ‘foreign hand’ amongst the terrorist organisations, however, it is possible that there is a closed-economy which can sustain the workings of the Taliban, which is used as the focus of this study. It is entirely possible that this similar networking allows an independent and free strategy of the terrorist organisations.
The implications for the counterinsurgency programmes of Pakistan are very clear: the military must put pressure on the insurgents but as this is a war of attrition and the sole military pressure has been unable to cut off the economic backbone of the insurgents their capabilities to strike against Pakistan is not compromised. This explains why they are able to strike back again and again despite military pressure on them.
Secondly, the civilian government needs to increase its tax net due to the hidden aspect of the money transfer that spills into Pakistan (Jamwal, 2003). Furthermore, Pakistan needs to curb on the administration free parts of the country to get a tab on the economic activity there for the accountability of the financial movement there which can also help in intelligence crackdowns. Thirdly, the stumping of the criminal organisations which have political backing and connections needs to heavily and vehemently put down as ‘every soldier’s blood has the black money from every gang who operates in Pakistan’ Brig. Shahid (personal communication, 2013). This will be difficult as the political culture in Pakistan has a certain interest in maintaining a relatively free tax and law and order hold in the country (Philip, 2005).
The way forward is to work within Pakistan and that too in terms of civics rather than a total military operation. Military operations tend to lag when the civics is also laden onto them (Nawaz, 2010) therefore the civilian government needs to improve the law and order situation country-wise not just in the affected areas for a successful blow against the Taliban and terrorists.

References

Afsar, S., Samples, C., & Wood, T. (2008). The Taliban: An Organizational Analysis: DTIC Document.
Ansari, A. (2013). Billing for terror: estimating the cost of terrorist operations. University of Karachi. Karachi.
Clarida, R., Gali, J., & Gertler, M. (2001). Optimal monetary policy in closed versus open economies: An integrated approach: National Bureau of Economic Research.
Dalyan, Ş. (2008). Combating the Financing of Terrorism: Rethinking Strategies for Success. Defence Against Terrorism Review, 1(1), 137-153.
Harrison, D. A., Price, K. H., Gavin, J. H., & Florey, A. T. (2002). Time, teams, and task performance: Changing effects of surface-and deep-level diversity on group functioning. Academy of management journal, 45(5), 1029-1045.
Jamwal, N. (2002). Hawala‐the invisible financing system of terrorism. Strategic Analysis, 26(2), 181-198.
Mufti, S. (2009). Funding the Pakistani Taliban, GlobalPost.
Napoleoni, L. (2005). Terror incorporated: tracing the dollars behind the terror networks: Seven Stories Press New York.
Narula, R. (2002). Multinational investment and economic structure: Globalisation and competitiveness: Routledge.
Nawaz, S., & de Borchgrave, A. (2009). FATA—a most dangerous place. Center for Strategic and International Studies.
Philip, C. S. The Idea of Pakistan, 2005, Lahore: Vanguard Books.
Reese, J. (2009). Financing the Taliban: The Convergence of Ungoverned Territory and Unofficial Economy. Michigan State University.
Sanderson, T. M. (2004). Transnational terror and organized crime: blurring the lines. Sais Review, 24(1), 49-61.
Shahid, M. (2013). [A conversation about the insurgents].
. Terrorist Financing. (2008). France: FATF GAFI.
Vlachos, D., Georgiadis, P., & Iakovou, E. (2007). A system dynamics model for dynamic capacity planning of remanufacturing in closed-loop supply chains. Computers & Operations Research, 34(2), 367-394.
Walsh, D. (2012). Taliban Gaining More Resources From Kidnapping, The New York Times.

An original piece I have been flirting with for a while, please read and critique
@Capt.Popeye @Marshmallow @Alpha1 @Armstrong @Aeronaut @Kirat @Secur @Dillinger please tag others as well

jaibi :wave:

did u write it urself?:what: ill read later for sure n comment! but thnx for sharin....

@Secur "He has already lost the battle against those who wished to shackle his mind, he was made that way- to be susceptible and impressionable."

Take your admiration and love for the terrorists along with this extremism fueled desire and obsession of wiping and neutralizing ' any opposition ' to somewhere else . Ai'nt not interested in discussing it here and ruining this thread based on a hard worked article . Sure , take the fight to the mainland U.S. if you have the power or do you find it easy to kill Muslims here ? Implement your true Islam in the Arab countries first before trying to justify your terrorism in Pakistan . Islamabad can have that kind of religious interpretation if the common man votes for it in the democratic elections - something in which religious parties participate freely . They just need to get the required majority to legislate and voila you have your idealistic system with a God chosen ruler - The Utopia . Savvy ? Now back on topic .

@Secur "He has already lost the battle against those who wished to shackle his mind, he was made that way- to be susceptible and impressionable."

But of course , blind aren't only the eyes as the verse goes .

Take your admiration and love for the terrorists along with this extremism fueled desire and obsession of wiping and neutralizing ' any opposition ' to somewhere else . Ai'nt not interested in discussing it here and ruining this thread based on a hard worked article . Sure , take the fight to the mainland U.S. if you have the power or do you find it easy to kill Muslims here ? Implement your true Islam in the Arab countries first before trying to justify your terrorism in Pakistan . Islamabad can have that kind of religious interpretation if the common man votes for it in the democratic elections - something in which religious parties participate freely . They just need to get the required majority to legislate and voila you have your idealistic system with a God chosen ruler - The Utopia . Savvy ? Now back on topic .

But of course , blind aren't only the eyes as the verse goes .

You folks need to really look in to the pedagogy involved in the religious education in the Madrassas.

Well either that or you my dear friend shall be found swinging from a lamp a few years down the line.

@jaibi And now you have engaged yourself in an exercise of sheer futility. Leave it be or your thread will get stretched on with multiple 7-8 line posts of a repetitive nature. Your sanity shall be nibbled away post by post.

Back
Top Bottom