What's new

Test driving China's Huawei smart electric car autonomous driving on China's remote rural village roads

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China

Test driving China's Huawei smart electric car autonomous driving on China's remote rural village roads​

China's Huawei smart electric car autonomous driving is amazing

This is truly amazing!!!

The road condition is very similar to Indonesia's.

But the car managed it very well, like it was driven by a human driver.

I never thought a self-driving car will be available in Indonesia.

But with this, I think there's a big hope.

I think Huawei is the most valuable tech company in the world right now.

Comparing Autonomous Driving tech between Huawei vs Tesla.

Tesla biggest problem is the lack lidar sensor and depends 100% on image processing.

The result, Tesla fails to recognize small objects and any unidentified objects on the road.

This is truly amazing!!!

The road condition is very similar to Indonesia's.

But the car managed it very well, like it was driven by a human driver.

I never thought a self-driving car will be available in Indonesia.

But with this, I think there's a big hope.

I think Huawei is the most valuable tech company in the world right now.

Because of that, Tesla autonomous driving system is unable to be used on unusual places like, for example, third world country roads.

Huawei autonomous driving system able to recognize a small unidentified object on the road. Once the object is removed the car will continue the journey.

The same with driving on a very small road that barely fits two cars, even the shape of the road is uncommon. But once Huawei autonomous driving system is able to identify the gap and no obstacle on the road, it will pass through.

In the near future, if driving in a hard condition, it's better to use autonomous driver rather than our own. Because of limitation of our eyes to see the whole picture. Car sensors are better.

Last edited:
Tesla is a second rate company. Apple is a second rate company. The whole USA is a second rate country!

Comparing Autonomous Driving tech between Huawei vs Tesla.

You are comparing Tesla's Autopilot software released in 2016 to Huawei's recent tech.

I certainly hope Huawei's does better.

What the Chinese tester doesn't have is Tesla's Full Self Driving code which is only available in the US and Canada.

The result, Tesla fails to recognize small objects and any unidentified objects on the road.

That's simply not true. FSD uses AI to analyze the scene (just like your brain) and makes a determination of what to do.

Plus Huawei has run into the roadblock that Tesla has avoided (and warned about) from the start and now has to rework their self driving strategy. All that need for Huawei’s 5G tech to stream sub centimeter high resolution LIDAR maps to millions of autonomous cars is going right out the window…abandoned by Huawei themselves!! unbelievable

April 26, 2023

Huawei scraps expensive precision maps in self-driving cars​

Huawei and other Chinese self-driving car companies are developing alternative technologies to high-definitions maps as the precision required for autonomous vehicles makes the mapping process prohibitively expensive.

"High-definition maps are very expensive," said Huawei senior executive Yu Chengdong at Auto Shanghai show on April 16. "We have been collecting data in Shanghai for one or two years, but we still have not been able to cover all 9,000 kilometers of the city's roads."

HD maps for autonomous driving require technology more advanced than those for standard navigation systems. Maps accurate to about 10 meters are sufficient for navigation systems, but accuracy to about 20 centimeters, and in some cases as low as 1 cm, is necessary for self-driving cars, according to a Beijing research company.

The survey cost for a map with 10-cm accuracy is 10 yuan ($1.44) per kilometer, but for accuracy to 1 cm costs up to 1,000 yuan, according to a 2021 white paper by industry group China Industry Innovation Alliance for Intelligent and Connected Vehicles.

Huawei has revamped its automated driving system to eliminate the need for HD maps. Details of the technology have not been disclosed, but it uses a combination of road topology inference and car navigation maps, according to Yu.

Last edited:

Deep review on Huawei autonomous driving system.

You are comparing Tesla's Autopilot software released in 2016 to Huawei's recent tech.

I certainly hope Huawei's does better.

What the Chinese tester doesn't have is Tesla's Full Self Driving code which is only available in the US and Canada.

That's simply not true. FSD uses AI to analyze the scene (just like your brain) and makes a determination of what to do.

Plus Huawei has run into the roadblock that Tesla has avoided (and warned about) from the start and now has to rework their self driving strategy. All that need for Huawei’s 5G tech to stream sub centimeter high resolution LIDAR maps to millions of autonomous cars is going right out the window…abandoned by Huawei themselves!! unbelievable

April 26, 2023

Huawei scraps expensive precision maps in self-driving cars​

Huawei and other Chinese self-driving car companies are developing alternative technologies to high-definitions maps as the precision required for autonomous vehicles makes the mapping process prohibitively expensive.

"High-definition maps are very expensive," said Huawei senior executive Yu Chengdong at Auto Shanghai show on April 16. "We have been collecting data in Shanghai for one or two years, but we still have not been able to cover all 9,000 kilometers of the city's roads."

HD maps for autonomous driving require technology more advanced than those for standard navigation systems. Maps accurate to about 10 meters are sufficient for navigation systems, but accuracy to about 20 centimeters, and in some cases as low as 1 cm, is necessary for self-driving cars, according to a Beijing research company.

The survey cost for a map with 10-cm accuracy is 10 yuan ($1.44) per kilometer, but for accuracy to 1 cm costs up to 1,000 yuan, according to a 2021 white paper by industry group China Industry Innovation Alliance for Intelligent and Connected Vehicles.

Huawei has revamped its automated driving system to eliminate the need for HD maps. Details of the technology have not been disclosed, but it uses a combination of road topology inference and car navigation maps, according to Yu.

I don't know if the test is using the old version of FSD. It's supposed to be automatically updated through software update.

But the disadvantage of Tesla FSD is well known.

But I agree, comparing between Tesla vs Huawei autonomous driving system is not apple vs apple comparison, because both of them are designed specified on their origin countries.

For example, Tesla test probably fail in China, but will win in USA and Europe. And vice versa.

For me, since I live in a developing country, I'm looking for an autonomous driving system that will work on my country road condition.

Even if Tesla is the best and mostly works in many countries, if it doesn't work well on my country road, then it will be useless for me.

I think in the future, roads will be designed based on autonomous driving systems. Things that are hard to be recognized by autonomous driving systems will be fixed. So, any flaws that we see today, probably will not be a problem in the future.

I don't know if the test is using the old version of FSD. It's supposed to be automatically updated through software update.

You (and the reviewer) are confusing two pieces of software.

Autopilot is the cruise control software that Tesla uses in its cars. Almost all cars made by most manufacturers come with some version of cruise control. I had cruise control in my car back in the 1980's. Over the years cruise control has obviously gotten better. Some can change lanes and do smart braking when they detect an obstacle.

However cruise control is not self driving software. It's just crude software used mostly on highways to stay in between lanes. This is the only software available for Tesla's in overseas markets.

The second piece of Tesla software is for self-driving on both highways and streets. It is still in BETA and is only available in cars in the US and Canada (and only after you sign your life away on a release screen). It is NOT available in China/Asia/Europe/SouthAmerica/Africa/Australia. It just simply isn't offered. So the reviewer in China is not using the FSD software. He is using the Autopilot software.

Autopilot

FSD

Last edited:
"The new model is equipped with the company's high-end intelligent driving system, which enables high-speed and high-end intelligent driving for urban roads that "does not rely on high-precision maps," he said."

This is good news!

There's a huge possibility the autonomous driving system will be able to be used in third world country roads.

But of course, the company will not take responsibility, and perhaps we need to crack the software first to be used outside China.

I believe it's possible.

You (and the reviewer) are confusing two pieces of software.

Autopilot is the cruise control software that Tesla uses in its cars. Almost all cars made by most manufactures come with some version of cruise control. I had cruise control in my car back in the 1980's. Over the years cruise control has obviously gotten better. Some can change lanes and do smart braking when they detect an obstacle.

However cruise control is not self driving software. It's just crude software used mostly on highways to stay in between lanes. This is the only software available for Tesla's in overseas markets.

The second piece of Tesla software is for self-driving on both highways and streets. It is still in BETA and is only available in cars in the US and Canada (and only after you sign your life away on a release screen). It is NOT available in China/Asia/Europe/SouthAmerica/Africa/Australia. It just simply isn't offered. So the reviewer in China is not using the FSD software. He is using the Autopilot software.

Autopilot

FSD

It's too bad then.

There's no way to compare it.

This video is the source of all the comparison test between Huawei vs Tesla mentioned in the videos above.

Too bad, it's in Mandarin, and there's no English subtitle.

Test driving China's Huawei smart electric car autonomous driving on China's remote rural village roads​

China's Huawei smart electric car autonomous driving is amazing

This blogger is a real nutter! How dare he use autopilot on such narrow and bad roads? The trees on the side of the road are so high that the radar view is blocked, what if someone suddenly appears on the side of the road?

This blogger is a real nutter! How dare he use autopilot on such narrow and bad roads? The trees on the side of the road are so high that the radar view is blocked, what if someone suddenly appears on the side of the road?

That’s why you need an advanced vision system that understands the current environment and predicts what places to specifically look out for trouble.

Back
Top Bottom