What's new

Terrorist and killer Narendra Modi on TIME 2012 list is a shame

But how would you know what secular is?

Frame of reference is important. And neither Pakistan nor the UK comes close.

Otherwise all we are doing here is bandying words on the internet, which beyond momentary vicarious thrills, would afford you or me little else.

What passes of India for secularism is not secular as in the definition of the word. Indian constitution is good and yea I agree it says secular. But a cricket bat does not become an apple if you call it that or pass a law to that effect.

I don't want to post stats because it inflames some. But I can pm you them if you wish.

Only in name and by law. In practice it is not secular
It is secular... you can believe and say what you want

What passes of India for secularism is not secular as in the definition of the word. Indian constitution is good and yea I agree it says secular. But a cricket bat does not become an apple if you call it that or pass a law to that effect.

I don't want to post stats because it inflames some. But I can pm you them if you wish.
India is secular as defined in the constitution.
nor does an apple not remain a fruit just because you declare apples are not friuts anymore.

you have no idea nor have ever experienced a secular society growing up, so its impossible for you to understand.
nor can you guys comprehend that something existing in various forms and one can tailor it according to necessity and practicality. Concepts need not be literally obeyed from a book

Indian law is secular but the real issue is Pseudo-secularism which is causing big problems thanks in part to congress politics over the years.

Indian law is secular but the real issue is Pseudo-secularism which is causing big problems thanks in part to congress politics over the years.

No its not legislation has been made and there is a statute that says India is. But in practice it's not.

No PM needed bro. This is a discussion of wider import.

I asked you a question.

What is YOUR personal frame of reference on secularism.

That would help give some credence to your OPINION of Indian secularism.

Lets start with Hindus.

How many do you know in your immediate circle?

How many did you go to school with?

College? Work?

How often do you eat with them? Watch cricket, movies? Fight - verbal, physical?

How often have you gone to a Hindu friend's home on his festival to have some grub?

How often has a Hindu friend come to yours for the same?

Do you have any Hindus in your family? First degree? Second degree?

How many Hindu girlfriends have you had?

Have you taken part in the whole nine yards of a Hindu shaadi?

Have you gone through a Hindu funeral cremation?

There is much more I would like to know, but this should be a good start to a debate with you on SECULARISM.

No its not legislation has been made and there is a statute that says India is. But in practice it's not.

Well India is a land of 1.1 billion people with many diffrent views you can't put everyone in a bracket as there will be conflicting views.

However if you work hard and want to do well in India you can reach your goals just look at Azim Premji or Dr Kalam

And you of all people would know secularism (or lack thereof, so you claim) in the Indian society!

Btw, what do you expect by providing the "stats"? Those stats mean squat when one considers the size of population in India. FYI, India is a large country----scratch that - - its a HUGE country with a HUGE population - of people following different faiths!! Compared to the number of people who live peacefully, the ratio of untoward incidents (which mostly are of criminal nature) to peace is pretty low!!!!

Contrast that with any other country. Your naive attempt to highlight social ills as anti-secularism is nothing but uneducated guesswork and futile! And just, FYI, every society, no matter how advanced, has its own share of social ills.

Pseudo-secularism is the evil congress party trick which is the real issue but lions like Modi will overcome all the mud they can throw at him as this will also make him more popular with the masses.

I asked you a question.

Everyone agrees today that modern, diverse democracies have to be “secular”, in some sense of this
term. But what sense? The term (along with the corresponding French term “laïcité”, and its derivatives)
has more than one sense. There are in fact many different meanings, but I believe that we

http://www.law.nyu.edu/ecm_dlv4/gro...osophy/documents/documents/ecm_pro_067143.pdf

provides a good definition

6060960453_eb5b2d1f9b.jpg

Some Pakistanis don't understand how life is in India it is not their fault as most have not been there but the ones that have aka veena malik ;) don't wish to return

Lets start with Hindus.

How many do you know in your immediate circle?

There is much more I would like to know, but this should be a good start to a debate with you on SECULARISM.

My circle is small but 3 out of say 10

I asked you a question.

Lets start with Hindus.

How many did you go to school with?

College? Work?

None at school, lots at Uni, several at work

Back
Top Bottom