What's new

Tendulkar, Kapil, Gavaskar, Sehwag named in Greatest All Time Test XI

Pollock played like how many test matches? 25 maybe? Too low.

Bradman what conditions he played in? In Asia spinning tracks? etc etc

buddy you misinterpreted my post. all i wanted to say is sehwag is an ideal opener who fits in the all time greatest test team xi, bilal brought batting average comparing chart so i just told him the other criteria of comparison STRIKE RATE which i believe sehwag is ahead of all. so a short innings of even 20 overs by sehwag puts the Indian team on the right track to clinch the test.

Pollock isn't being mentioned, we're discussing why Sehwag has been chosen over Sangakkara & Kallis, even though both have played more games than him, & have better statistics than him in the test game.

dude the selection is made according to the positions best suited for the batting order, do you have anyone better than sehwag to open the innings ? is it so difficult to understand ?

Sehwag does not even have the top ten batting averages in test cricket. And btw, we are talking about the greatest, all time test XI, not just present times.

There are more than 10 openers that have higher batting averages than Sehwag as well. Sehwag is not even in the top 10 for batting averages in test games for openers.
Average is but a statistic.

As I said hear what Umar Gul has to say.

Very few batsmen in the history of cricket has that to inspire a fear among the bowlers. How many have score two triple centuries in Test cricket in all its 140 odd years ?

Bilal has just said that sangakara is a opener :rofl: He has deleted his post.

That shows his knowledge of cricket.

dude the selection is made according to the positions best suited for the batting order, do you have anyone better than sehwag to open the innings ? is it so difficult to understand ?

Yep. If the opener is an Indian. Is it so difficult for 'you' to understand ?

who are they, pls provide us the list.

Openers with much better batting averages than Sehwag, playing a substantial number of games as well:

1. H. Sutcliffe
2. K.F. Barrington
3. JB Hobbs (Sir Jack Hobbs)
4. Leonard Hutton

Average is but a statistic.

As I said hear what Umar Gul has to say.

Very few batsmen in the history of cricket has that to inspire a fear among the bowlers. How many have score two triple centuries in Test cricket in all its 140 odd years ?

Does Sehwag have the highest test score in the world? No. Does Sehwag have higher batting averages than the openers H. Sutcliffe, K.F. Barrington, JB Hobbs (Sir Jack Hobbs), or Leonard Hutton? No. There is no reason for him to be in the greatest all time test XI as an opener.

Lol you quoted me quick.

But what I meant was, they SR are low compared to Sehwag. Sehwag is a match winner in test cricket and not many people can do that.

Lol you quoted me quick.

But what I meant was, they SR are low compared to Sehwag. Sehwag is a match winner in test cricket and not many people can do that.

Strike rates are secondary to batting averages in test cricket, & you know that. Strike rates are important in one day internationals or the T-20s.

Does Sehwag have the highest test score in the world? No. Does Sehwag have higher batting averages than the openers H. Sutcliffe, K.F. Barrington, JB Hobbs (Sir Jack Hobbs), or Leonard Hutton? No. There is no reason for him to be in the greatest all time test XI as an opener.

Averages don't say everything.

How you dominate the bowlers when you score those runs also matters and none can come close to dominating the bowlers as Sehwag does. Viru does not only dominate the bowlers, he destroys them and lays te foundation. Too bad Pakistan has not had such an opener like him.

Perhaps the name of Viv Richards comes to mind, but too bad he was not an opener.

Openers with much better batting averages than Sehwag, playing a substantial number of games as well:

1. H. Sutcliffe
2. K.F. Barrington
3. JB Hobbs (Sir Jack Hobbs)
4. Leonard Hutton

Another epic fails.. This all batman have better average than sehwag only which is not significant. Sehwag has scored more run than any of them with the best strike rate in the game of test cricket. Sehwag has scored all round the world, unlike this gentleman.

Strike rates are secondary to batting averages in test cricket, & you know that. Strike rates are important in one day internationals or the T-20s.

Thats what makes Sehwag unique, his high SR, made him a batsman who could take the test match away from the opponents in a 20 over Sehwag batting time.

Anyway my changes in caps to world 11 test side.

Sunil Gavaskar, Virender Sehwag, Don Bradman, Brian Lara, RAHUL DRAVID, KALLIS, Adam Gilchrist, Shane Warne, Wasim Akram, Curtly Ambrose, Glenn McGrath.

There are better all-rounders than Kapil Dev as well, & there are many statistics that prove that as well.

Back
Top Bottom