What's new

Tejas successfully test fires R-73 missiles

All modernactive/semi-active radar homing missiles have a data link for mid course guidance.
But this datalink supplies guidance information from the parent aircraft to the missile.

As R-73 is infrared homing missile it does not have a wireless datalink to the aircraft, however as long is the missile is on aircraft pylons it will supply targeting data to HUD and HMS .

thanks for the informative post:tup:

All modernactive/semi-active radar homing missiles have a data link for mid course guidance.
But this datalink supplies guidance information from the parent aircraft to the missile.

As R-73 is infrared homing missile it does not have a wireless datalink to the aircraft, however as long is the missile is on aircraft pylons it will supply targeting data to HUD and HMS .

one more doubt...
i have one r 73 missile ... its giving targeting data to hms....
i dont wanna use my only missile instead can i use my gun using missile data as my sight

CONGRATS keep FIRING THOSE MISSILES ...AM EAGERLY waiting for BVR TEST

its good to see the tejas in the air atleast showing some hope..................but indian guys again one question remain`s..........................does india still needs tejas................while.........PAK-FA is on track...........and what about the MMRCA...........deal..........?give your answers as analysist.

one more doubt...
i dont wanna use my only missile instead can i use my gun using missile data as my sight

What you are asking for is achieved by what is known as "Multi Sensor Data Fusion". (Though using gun may not be a wise choice.)

Quoting from this very good paper on this topic.

Data fusion techniques combine data from multiple
sensors, and related information from associated databases,
to achieve improved accuracies and more specific inferences
than could be achieved by the use of a single
sensor alone

It is a thrust area for almost every developer of modern combat aircraft and a recognised force multiplier.

In your specific case, I'd like to give an example of Rafale which can integrate the data from the sensors on MICA-IR missiles with that obtained from it's other sensors and give a complete picture to the pilot!

it's (MICA's) IR sensor is so accurate that it can be used as a MLD (Missile Launch Detector), and is integrated to the Spectra suit ;

Last edited:
one more doubt...
R-73 has as range of 35 kilometres
For using gun, the aircraft has to be in gun range(around 500-1000 metes depending on the gun) and in gunsight(in straight line to aircraft's cannon)

So if an aircraft is that close it is usually visible to naked eye, HMS is not required for targeting gun.

its good to see the tejas in the air atleast showing some hope..................but indian guys again one question remain`s..........................does india still needs tejas................while.........PAK-FA is on track...........and what about the MMRCA...........deal..........?give your answers as analysist.

No country is so rich that it can field all 5th generation aircrafts. Even US navy ordered for more than 100 F/A 18 aircrafts even though they are getting F-35.

India needs a cheap to buy and cheap to fly (single engine) 4th generation aircraft that can be the work horse along with the 5th Gen FGFA and 4.5 Gen MMRCA and Su 30 MKI. This is where Tejas fits in.

R-73 has as range of 35 kilometres
For using gun, the aircraft has to be in gun range(around 500-1000 metes depending on the gun) and in gunsight(in straight line to aircraft's cannon)

So if an aircraft is that close it is usually visible to naked eye, HMS is not required for targeting gun.

agreed
when the target is within clouds or anyother low visibilty condition then
can we use hms

Brother, those you mention are very costly. You need some elephants but you need large number of horses too. For us Tejas is our main horse while other would work as elephant giant.

Brother, those you mention are very costly. You need some elephants but you need large number of horses too. For us Tejas is our main horse while other would work as elephant giant.

MKI will be our Work Horse, not the Tejas.

agreed
when the target is within clouds or anyother low visibilty condition then
can we use hms

Yes, infrared sensor on the heater can detect the Engine exhaust in low visibility and relay it to HMS.

The air forces around the world have a nick for light aircrafts....it called 'Cannon Fodder'. LCA is the main numbers of IAF. It is a replacement for MiG 21 FL.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom