What's new

Tejas successfully test fires R-73 missiles

was the missile integrated with radar...?
last time it was fired blindly , how about this time?
considering last phase of trials for air air combat mode before IOC ,
missile should have been integrated with radar,
soon we ll b witnessing missiles hitting dummy targets like flares..
this is a big day ... of a big week..

R-73 is a heat seeking missile, why it should be integrated with radar?

was the missile integrated with radar...?
last time it was fired blindly , how about this time?
considering last phase of trials for air air combat mode before IOC ,
missile should have been integrated with radar,
soon we ll b witnessing missiles hitting dummy targets like flares..
this is a big day ... of a big week..

R-73 is a infrared homing missile,hence no radar is needed to fire it.

R-73 is a infrared homing missile,hence no radar is needed to fire it.

but to detect target, we need it .
integration with radar will be the next step for LCA i think..

Don't take it as a troll

But whats the big deal? Is it the first time LCA fired a missile and that WVR.?

Tejas will be way down the food chain in IAF...even if it eventually gets all the clearances...Specially when IAF is on a buying spree and taking onboard hi tech planes such as PAK-FA and Rafael.

I understand the importance of an all Indegenous plane which Tejas is...But still , is it needed anymore?

Infrared homing missile don't see a metal flying. They see the flame coming from its back and follow that flame( heat). Thats why best counter measure for such missile is flare that have more heat signature than the plane which will make missile change its direction.

Didn't you read the link in my previous post?

Report says; Indian radar based A2AM are not performing.

Now tell me what next?

Infrared homing missile don't see a metal flying. They see the flame coming from its back and follow that flame( heat). Thats why best counter measure for such missile is flare that have more heat signature than the plane which will make missile change its direction.

The R-73 is an infrared-guided (heat-seeking) missile with a sensitive, cryogenic cooled seeker with a substantial "off-boresight" capability: the seeker can "see" targets up to 60° off the missile's centerline. It can be targeted by a helmet-mounted sight (HMS) allowing pilots to designate targets by looking at them. Minimum engagement range is about 300 meters, with maximum aerodynamic range of nearly 30 km (18.75 mi) at altitude.

No, radar is only needed for detecting enemy aircraft. Infrared homing missiles have its own infrared sensor in its nose cone, which detects and locks on to target.

Heaters can also be fired with radar turned off(so not to trip enemy radar warning receiver).

hence it is not possible to pair the missile to radar as it has autonomous detection and tracking unit. However it might be paired to HMS for off-boresight engagement.

It can also be targeted by a helmet-mounted sight (HMS) allowing pilots to designate targets by looking at them.

Radar detection is a separate function...

R.73 is not a radar guided missile.

Tejas will be way down the food chain in IAF...even if it eventually gets all the clearances...Specially when IAF is on a buying spree and taking onboard hi tech planes such as PAK-FA and Rafael.

I understand the importance of an all Indegenous plane which Tejas is...But still , is it needed anymore?

TEJAS is definitely needed in IAF.
IAF is running behind.It is way below its sanctioned strength of 45 squadrons.In that the most troublesome part is Mig-21 and Mig-27 are getting obsolete and older day by day.We have to retire them as soon as possible.
Tejas is gap-filler and second league fighter for us.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom