What's new

Technical Snags bog even the VVIP fleet of IAF : Shameful

rkjindal91

Reaction score
May 5, 2011, 05.19am IST TNN [ Rajat Pandit ] NEW DELHI: It could have proved much
worse but defence minister A K Antony
was fortunate enough to escape with just
a mild sunstroke. Two Mi-17 helicopters
deployed to ferry Antony and his high-
level entourage to forward areas in Rajasthan developed technical snags, one
after the other, on Monday. Already grappling with a resurgent crash
rate, with close to 50 fighter and
helicopter accidents being recorded just
since 2007, the fact that technical
problems can dog even VVIP flights has
come as a major embarrassment to IAF. "Fortunately, the rotor and power-pack
problems took place while the helicopters
were on the ground. If they had occurred
in the air, it would have been curtains for
the passengers...helicopters, after all,
drop like stones," said a source. IAF, however, tried to downplay the
episode, holding that there was "no need
to order a full-scale inquiry" since they
were "just some minor technical
problems in starting the helicopters".
Added another officer. "Sometimes in hot weather, the battery does not give
optimal power... it does not mean there is
something wrong with the helicopter."
The Antony episode, however, comes in
the backdrop of a spate in helicopter
crashes around the country, including the one which killed Arunachal Pradesh CM
Dorjee Khandu. Incidentally, Antony’s entourage included Army chief General V
K Singh and defence secretary Pradeep
Kumar, among others. The two main reasons for crashes in IAF,
both for fighters and helicopters, are
attributed to "human errors" and
"technical defects". In other words,
"inadequate" training to pilots, ageing
machines, shoddy maintenance practices and lack of adequate number of spares all
come together to form an explosive mix.
Just last year, IAF recorded a dozen
crashes, which killed five pilots, 11
military personnel and four civilians. Sources said while the flight of the two
Mi-17s from Jaisalmer to Tanot went off
fine, the problems began on the way
back. First, one of the helicopters
developed the technical snag, leaving the
"less important" among the passengers to take to the road back to Jaisalmer. Then, the second Mi-17, which was
supposed to take Antony and the other
VVIPs to the airport from the Jaisalmer
military station also refused to start. This
time, Antony and the others had no
recourse but to travel by cars to the airport to take the plane back to New
Delhi. Antony did not attend office on
Wednesday as he was "slightly
indisposed" after his hectic Rajasthan
tour, which took place in blistering heat.
The 71-year-old minister also has to
conserve his energy for his three-day visit to Saudi Arabia and Qatar beginning
Saturday.

rkjindal91 is a false flag. :police:

^^^ Idiot why did you modified the title? Even during special operation of capturing Osama one helicopter did not work perfectly. What do you want all the machines should work 100%? :tdown:

If something would happened to antony than he could have go faster for new choppers. he deal have been cancelled three times. I hope he got a lesson.

^^^ Idiot why did you modified the heading? Even during special operation of capturing Osama one helicopter did not work perfectly. What do you want all the machines should work 100%? :tdown:

If something would happened to antony than he could have go faster for new choppers. he deal have been cancelled three times. I hope he got a lesson.

Firstly, the actual title is:Red faces in IAF over snag in Antony's copter.
And that is why the AW 139s (the deal is through) will be inducted into the VVIP squadron. BTW, did the IAF also deliberately spook the choppers just to "jump-start" the MoD's decision making on the helicopter induction?

This is a serious concern.

If planes/helis meant for VVIPs are also not perfect then we can imagine the state of the remaining ones.

If planes/helis meant for VVIPs are also not perfect then we can imagine the state of the remaining ones.

VVIPs always fly with helicopters and IAF operates hundreds of helicopters. Can some of them malfunction?

Why Antony is not eager to sign the deal for 197 choppers for IAF that is hanging for last 4 years.

IAF buying 140 new Mi-17.

This rkjindal91 guy is a false flag , I stick to the point.

rkjindal91 is a false flag. :police:

^^^ Idiot why did you modified the heading? Even during special operation of capturing Osama one helicopter did not work perfectly. What do you want all the machines should work 100%? :tdown:

Don't question my love for India... Don't ever do it again...

and about machines working 100% we lost arunachal CM and could loose our defence minister.

I never heard about these snags in private sector (Bussiness Houses etc, Private choppers and Jets) on the contrary artition rate is way higher in IAF... I don't know its training faliure, technical faliure, human error, corruption(under quality equipments) but sumthn is not fine...

VVIPs always fly with helicopters and IAF operates hundreds of helicopters. Can some of them malfunction?

Why Antony is not eager to sign the deal for 197 choppers for IAF that is hanging for last 4 years.

IAF buying 140 new Mi-17.

Buying is one thing and maintaining them is quite another.

I am referring to maintenance part.

and about machines working 100% we lost arunachal CM and could loose our defence minister.

I never heard about these snags in private sector (Bussiness Houses etc, Private choppers and Jets) on the contrary artition rate is way higher in IAF... I don't know its training faliure, technical faliure, human error, corruption(under quality equipments) but sumthn is not fine...

Do not fake your love. It does not need an expert to know that you are a false flag. This is not just about this thread.

Buying is one thing and maintaining them is quite another.

I am referring to maintenance part.

By maintaining no aircraft can be 100% perfect. Many of these choppers are quite old. Ministry of defence repeatedly delayed many deals for buying new choppers. IAF signed deal for 140 Mi-17V-5. they will replace the old helicopters. They should have done it thee years ago.

By maintaining no aircraft can be 100% perfect. Many of these choppers are quite old. Ministry of defence repeatedly delayed many deals for buying new choppers. IAF signed deal for 140 Mi-17V-5. they will replace the old helicopters. They should have done it thee years ago.

That is the exact concern.

Where do you diasgree?

here in arunachal people broke into pawan hans office in itanagar and destroyed it due to outrage caused by the death of cm.pawan hans has been one of the worst public sector enterprise with lowest maintanance of chopper fleet.i once travelled from itanager to changlang in pawan hans bell 206 chopper and it didin't have adequate headphones for three people.....:hitwall:

I disagree to the point that snags happen everywhere. nothing new. specially when some of them are old. but this does not mean all of them are bad and not combat ready.

Its not abt being bad or not being combat ready.

Its abt what are you doing to rectify those problems. The fleet is old and you yourself said there is a delay in signing new contracts.

Why are they delaying it? Is that not a concern.

this is an undeniable fact that our choppers are ill miantained.i'm saying this cause my maternal uncle is a pilot in IAF stationed in chabua,assam.

Its not abt being bad or not being combat ready.

Its abt what are you doing to rectify those problems. The fleet is old and you yourself said there is a delay in signing new contracts.

Why are they delaying it? Is that not a concern.

i have told you delay is the main concern not the snags or anything else. IAF should have replaced some of their old choppers by now. IAF maintenance and training is one of the best in the world. they have high quality management but they can not do anything if MOD delays.

Back
Top Bottom